PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and it's history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby David Gentle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Re Rock and Roll, we had a group of around 5 to 6, and played in all the local pubs, but we all lived 5 miles away from the main town, and by the time the pubs shut ,and no taxis would take us,("those guys are just trouble".) so we walked, carrying all our equipment, guitars,drums, base etc, half way home around midnight, we would stop and as there was little if any traffic in the roads in those days and at that time, we would set up, without electrics of course, and do a gig just for ourselves. you would at first see one light go on, then another and soon the whole surrounding homes had their lights on with some coming out to have a rather late session...great days/nights, but when i got home, i always got a rollicking from my mother bless her. Its beginning to look to me as most of our guys on the site are as nuts on music and muscle....love it. David Gentle, ps.yes i do play Blueberry Hill, loving the intro.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby dhartnet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Ahh yes, the good old band days when you would do anything to play.
This band pic is from 28 years ago when I was 23, oh to be that age again :)

---------
~Dave
dhartnet

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 pm

dhartnet wrote:Ahh yes, the good old band days when you would do anything to play.

Cool photo. 8-) Gotta ask you Dave.... how was the groupie scene? :D
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 pm

David Gentle wrote:Re Rock and Roll, we had a group of around 5 to 6, and played in all the local pubs, but we all lived 5 miles away from the main town, and by the time the pubs shut ,and no taxis would take us,("those guys are just trouble".) so we walked, carrying all our equipment, guitars,drums, base etc, half way home around midnight, we would stop and as there was little if any traffic in the roads in those days and at that time, we would set up, without electrics of course, and do a gig just for ourselves. you would at first see one light go on, then another and soon the whole surrounding homes had their lights on with some coming out to have a rather late session...great days/nights, but when i got home, i always got a rollicking from my mother bless her. Its beginning to look to me as most of our guys on the site are as nuts on music and muscle....love it. David Gentle, ps.yes i do play Blueberry Hill, loving the intro.

Nice! I've loved Fats Domino's version of "Blueberry Hill" since I was a little kid. :)

youtu.be/bQQCPrwKzdo
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:48 pm

dhartnet wrote:Ahh yes, the good old band days when you would do anything to play.

Cool photo Dave with a lot of happy memories i am sure [groupies?] ;) My sons' 3 best friends are in a band and he is their unofficial manager and gets them gigs. I hope they are taking photos so they can look back on this special time in their lives.
Keep rocking,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Previous

Return to Off Topic