As well as talking about elections, I'm standing in one

Electoral process and election results for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

Re: As well as talking about elections, I'm standing in one

Postby sticksb » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 pm

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (108.55 KiB) Viewed 526 times
sticksb

Postby Harry Hayfield » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:38 am

Nominations for the local elections have now been published. On the community council (of which there are ten seats) there are fourteen duly nominated candidates (six existing council members including myself, and eight new candidates). On the county council it is repeat of last time, when I polled 14% of the vote when I had only been in the ward for about a year or so, so now that I have been a member of the local community council for the past five years I am hoping that vote share will increase (although whether I will get the 36% swing needed to win, remains to be seen).

I must of course thank Sticks for his contributions and will let him know when they appear on my campaign materials
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Postby Harry Hayfield » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Today marks the end of the first full week of the election and in that time I have walked 10.2 miles, delivered to 300 houses and today got my first confirmed votes. As Sticks has been so very kind as to provide me with some pictures, it only seems fair that I post a picture showing where those ten miles have been

Each colour represents a separate walk
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
Harry Hayfield

Postby sticksb » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:43 pm

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (161.36 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Give em" hell Harry !
sticksb

Postby Harry Hayfield » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:31 pm

I believe that I am doing my best certainly. I only have one more village to deliver at the end of which I believe I will have walked something around 31 miles (as shown on this map), as to whether it will get me anywhere, well, that's down to the local electorate to decide.

Election Walks Update Two.jpg
Election Walks Update Two.jpg (140.49 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Harry Hayfield

Postby Harry Hayfield » Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 pm

I know that this will come as a huge disappointment to everyone (especially Sticks who I would like to thank for his pictures of me that I used for the campaign) but not only did I not get elected to the county council (despite seeing my vote increase by 8% on last time) but I also failed to be re-elected to my community council by around 20 votes.

:(

Now, this is an entirely reasonable reaction, however it does mean that I have a lot of free time so therefore would like to know if there is anything more that I can do to help with this group?
Harry Hayfield

Postby Talbot » Fri May 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Tried politics myself, before. Didn't win either. Don't take it too hard. The general public are stupid!

The best thing that you can do for this website, is work out hard on the old time strong man courses that are available here, and tell the rest of the world, about how great they really work!
Talbot

Postby peter yates » Sun May 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:I know that this will come as a huge disappointment to everyone (especially Sticks who I would like to thank for his pictures of me that I used for the campaign) but not only did I not get elected to the county council (despite seeing my vote increase by 8% on last time) but I also failed to be re-elected to my community council by around 20 votes.

:(

Now, this is an entirely reasonable reaction, however it does mean that I have a lot of free time so therefore would like to know if there is anything more that I can do to help with this group?

Hi Harry, sorry to hear it but i agree with Talbot,most people do not vote on issues of importance but mainly by emotions. Use your now freed up time and energy to get people interested in exercise,you could even take people on walks now you are so familiar with the landscape in your area.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Sun May 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Book time Phineas !
sticksb

Postby Harry Hayfield » Sun May 07, 2017 9:14 pm

sticksb wrote:Book time Phineas !

Indeed, it is sir, allow me to show you what I have written so far in another thread.
Harry Hayfield

Previous

Return to UK Elections