Anybody come across this guy?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: David Gentle, DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield

Re: Anybody come across this guy?

Postby Mobster » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16 pm

There's no obligation to have a license per se. I don't. But then I don't watch any TV. No terrestrial, no Freeview and no satellite or cable means no need for a license. I've DVD's and a lot of VHS tapes (I need a VCR to watch them on). There's a TON of online content I watch now. Changes to the regs mean I no longer watch iPlayer or any ITV/Sky type stuff unless it's via Facebook (for example they have their own Facebook 'live' stuff (news feeds) when there's been some disaster (like yesterdays Stockholm issue).

The BBC can and almost certainly will lose out to channels on YouTube (you can, like Sky, watch pay movies from 99p), Amazon (like the Grand Tour), Facebook unless they adapt. They already made a massive cock-up with their lack of online stuff (£400m?? lost in a PC development thing). Sky and other TV channels also have both free and pay stuff online.
Mobster

Postby Gerard Matthews » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 pm

That's the point. The BBC has not got a leg to stand on as far as commercial viability goes. They are just bullying people into paying for services they do not want in order to watch other content that is not even funded from the TV licence fee. Why not scrap the TV license and the money can go towards bringing back weekly bin collections?

The fact that the BBC can be going around making documentaries about a man with a fetish for muscle touching clearly shows they have too many staff and too much money. It also proves that they do not stand for any sort of higher morality when they will victimize a (possibly) mentally ill black person in such a way.

The impression I get is that Aki has taken a lot of punishment over the years for what happened to Gary Kelly, and has also had mixed reactions to his approaches. I did read that one young man had only good things to say about him: i.e that he had driven him to the gym and trained with him etc. I am sure it was very upsetting for him to be the subject of such a biased documentary.

I very much hope Aki brings a civil claim against the BBC. The CPS need not have the last word.
Gerard Matthews

Postby Mobster » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 am

Hi Gerard, unfortunately you're wrong on a bunch of issues. Morally and ethically you're fine. It's other stuff. I'll explain:

Forget the bin thing. Even as an example is asinine. I have weekly rubbish collections. That's down, in a lot of examples, to bad council management.

Part of the licensing fee did go towards the actual network of masts etc that ALL TV companies use. They now pay fees for this. Indeed stuff is piggy-backed via a few different means now. BT and the E network are among providers. Some part of the fee still will.

Reasons why TV programs get made are down to commissioning editors. The opportunity for me to be involved in a documentary came up some years back (2004 I think). It would have been via Channel 4. They needed to be able to say they could get 400,000 viewers for it to be made. They couldn't so it didn't. Aki, on the other hand, is (not necessarily for good reasons as we know) 'famous'. Ergo anything on him, even just locally (Merseyside isn't it??) gets enough for the BBC to go ahead. And the BBC is as commercial as any (I, for example, buy their Top Gear magazine in Asda).

I agree with Aki and the idea of a mental illness 100%. But then you could argue he's made a rod for his own back. His legend (the idea of him) is beyond what it ought to be. He's really not that scary. But has he had, sought out and or accepted treatment? Does he accept he scares some? Somehow I guess the answer is no. He probably thinks he's harmless and can't understand why people would be scared. He may not see the harm in feeling up young men and their muscles. Yet we both know that we'd be banging our heads against the wall trying to help him stop.

His legend reminds me of how would be gangsters like to be viewed. The problem is if, as a gangster, you make yourself 'the man' at some point someone else wants to be 'the man' thus they will come to kick your supposedly hard ass. And one day you'll lose. Now you're half the person you once was in your own eyes as well as others. Aki, by not getting treatment because he couldn't see a problem made himself a bogeyman as much as others talking him into being one (did you hear etc). The the Police and the BBC come visiting and it all bites him on the ass. Much, in the same way, I've never understood why some villains allow themselves to be filmed etc. If you're actually naughty why do you want to make it easy for the Police and the CPS to find you guilty by being filmed? Still that's too logical and the people we're discussing aren't. Fear of Aki isn't logical. No one died from having their biceps squeezed but running away...
Mobster

Postby Gerard Matthews » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi Steve:

The idea that just because people will watch something it justifies broadcasting is pretty erroneous. The BBC, as we have already agreed, is supposed to be 'politically correct'. The fact is that they have blatantly breached their own professed broadcasting standards.

We have to realize that the BBC is basically just another arm of the state's extortion racket. Whilst it may legally be a 'separate' corporate entity from United Kingdom Plc it is essentially managed by them and represents a part of the so called 'deep state'. When did we last have an election for the BBC bosses?

In its current form the BBC does not have to be commercially viable because the licence fee is compulsory (for those who watch any television programmes as they are being broadcast). There is therefore no duress or market pressures on them to make or broadcast anything that contravenes 'British Values'.

I understand your point about people wanting to 'take down' somebody who has a reputation, deserved or otherwise. However, I would ask to what extent Aki has orchestrated his own PR campaign? It is a little different if somebody goes around proclaiming they are the "hardest man in Merthyr" in all the local pubs and gets a well deserved hiding.

There are two things that seem obvious to me. 1) Aki has had mixed reactions to his behaviour, 2) He appears not to understand when people are afraid of him or want to stop 'seeing' him. Somebody in his situation must find it very confusing to one minute be asked for a selfie and the next minute sending somebody tearing off out of Wigan town centre as fast as their quadriceps can carry them. And of course there are those who are baiting him for a bit of fun then phoning the Police alleging that he has 'assaulted' them.

I am sure you will remember all of the negative publicity surrounding 'Arnold' and his groping of women in the runup to the California election. In much the same way there were many women who appreciated his advances, but others who found him repulsive. Obviously he showed himself to be highly tactful and 'on the ball' by making his way in politics, but he still got himself into trouble a few times. Those appear to be attributes that 'Aki' lacks considerably.

As we both know, people love a drama. They will embellish and exaggerate many facts toward this end. In Aki's case, being a bodybuilder and being black are two characteristics that have amplified matters out of all proportion. This is something that ought to concern all of us who train in the gym for size and power, because we could easily be the next victim of such hysteria.
Gerard Matthews

Postby Mobster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Part of the problem I think we can agree is that the BBC acts like a commercial entity (which as I say they are doing just via the selling of Top Gear TV programs and magazines never mind other stuff) when they aren't actually supposed to do that (as you say).

Aki is, in essence, socially in-ept. He's probably on the autistic spectrum rather than suffering from a mental illness. Hence, as you say, doesn't get 'it'. Or indeed, as you also say, deserve it.
Mobster

Postby Gerard Matthews » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi Steve:

This is a serious problem in today's society: public services behaving like profit making companies and, essentially, trying to have the best of both worlds.

The BBC is one of the best examples of this phenomenon. I watched a video on You Tube last night where the TV licensing people turned up with court bailiffs at a guy's door, forced their way in etc on the suspicion he was watching TV. The chap made a very good point in arguing that BT would not be allowed to do this if they thought he was using telephone equipment.

It is basically the equivalent of BT trying to make Talk Talk, Sky, EE customers pay money to them simply because they are 'British' Telecom and at one time in the past had a monopoly on the service provision.

We expect public services and servants to be run more responsibly, ethically and most importantly in line with the betterment of society for all. In return, via the 'social contract' (which nobody has ever signed, or even read) we 'agree' to surrender certain rights. There is no justification, however, for a profit making, corporate entity to force people to pay for services which they do not require.
Gerard Matthews

Postby Mobster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:39 pm

BT is a bad example because they still, to a great degree, provide a great deal of the infrastructure (masts, boxes and cables) via Openreach. To some degree, together with BT, so do the BBC.

Where I live, in the 'valleys', we have a lot of VHF masts on top of the hills. Now, as I have a book on this, some are VHF pure and simple and others include microwave links. Parts of the system are pure communication and part are or were defense based (follows on from WWII and then the cold war). The BBC still looks after (again with parts of BT) the emergency broadcast system. You can also, at least with BT, include the 999 and coastguard stuff.

In more recent years, as our cell phones took off, additional towers NOT owned by either, have sprung up. The EE network (I mentioned earlier) is one and there are others. HMG requires all of the owners, BT, the BBC and EE etc to lease time and use to other companies. The same system is how some energy providers without a single power station can offer us deals.

Now, like Openreach is the 'cable' part of BT the BBC has yet to separate itself from their infrastructure properly. Arguably this is why it stays necessary to pay a license. The other way is to completely commercialize the BBC, having a new entity look after the infrastructure (masts and transmitting kit but not studios) as BT did.

Regarding people not reading contracts... lol. I'd point at the recent United Airlines debacle. EVERY airline can turf you off a plane - all of them. And we all 'tick the boxes' saying we've read and agreed to the T&C. We all do it. Then moan when it suits us. I will say you, at least, wrote in and complained. Most don't. I just stopped watching.
Mobster

Postby Gerard Matthews » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:23 pm

I just thought I would put it out there to Sticks as to whether he would be willing to do a cartoon or two about Aki?
Gerard Matthews

Previous

Return to PC Discussion Group