Alan Kershaw

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

Alan Kershaw

Postby sticksb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (80.28 KiB) Viewed 132 times
I had the honor of doing a tee shirt image for Peter that included Darwen
Club fellow member Alan Kershaw pulling a monstrous 600# . Alan passed
today and left us a reminder of why we are here . RIP mate , it was an honor.
sticksb

Re: Alan Kershaw

Postby peter yates » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Thanks for putting up the photos Chris. I was just thinking the other day how Alan was the only one on the T shirt still around,and then this bombshell today. He was a great guy and although only a few years older than I was a great inspiration to me as a young lad. Last time i was over there i called him trying to meet up but he was just off on a trip so it never happened and now it never will. His son Mark trains and i am sure will wear the T shirt with pride. He was strong as an ox and after working hard all day landscaping he would hit the gym and work the deadlift up over 600lb. The most i ever saw him do was about 650 or so.Farewell my friend,R.I.P.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Harry Hayfield » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 am

This is the problem I find of living in rural Wales. There are all these (and I am sure that no one will object to me using the term) "heroes" of strength and muscle all over the United Kingdom and I am not able to visit them and say "Sir, you are a true credit to the world of fitness and health" before I read about them dying. Are there any in rural Wales that I can get to and just pass on my appreciation of their efforts?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Postby peter yates » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi Harry,
so important i feel to acknowledge these people while they are still around if we can.last time i was in England i missed seeing Alan as he was just off on a trip somewhere so we only spoke on the phone.However i did as i always do thank him for the help and guidance he gave me as a skinny runt all those years ago.I have attempted over the years to keep contact with those i have known and let them know they are remembered and appreciated as they are getting along in years.I have also made contact with others through the internet and the majority have been glad to know they are still remembered. So if you cannot physically visit someone a letter or an email works well.Wales has produced some excellent lifters, bodybuilders and strongmen over the years I am sure you will find some still around.If you find any let us know.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby colinkbell » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear that news. He sure was an amazingly strong man. Fellow iron men/gals are the family we choose for ourselves i say.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3
colinkbell

Postby DannyBoy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm sorry for your loss Peter. Based on your high regard for Alan, no doubt he was a wonderful man & a great lifter. May Alan Kershaw rest in peace and may God bless & comfort all of his family & friends.
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks guys,
I am glad i have been able to document the club and some of its members while they were still around to read about it, and know they were appreciated. Sticks has done great job on the D.W.C.T shirts and i was looking forward to giving one to Alan in June. Now all depicted on the shirt are gone, but the few of us remaining will wear them with pride and respect for our departed brothers. I did send the image to Alan via email last week so hopefully he did get to see it.BTW good to see you guys back on the forum we have been lonely. ;)
Peter Yates
peter yates

Return to Announcements