W. A. Pullum Patent Barbell

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, DannyBoy, David Gentle

Re: W. A. Pullum Patent Barbell

Postby dhartnet » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:38 pm

What a great bell... A treasure...
---------
~Dave
dhartnet

Postby David Gentle » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:32 am

By pure serendipity, one of those "Pullum" bars was featured a couple of days ago on the T.V on antiques road show, and the auctioneer guy valued it at , wait for it....over £1000. yes a "bucket of sand/grand" the guy, an old chap, looked as though he had done a bit of lifting also, i didnt recognise him, but have to admit, in 50 plus years, never seen such a bar. Also i had as a visitor the dynamic Peter Yates, over here to nick all my rare books and eat my favourite cake, and he too had seen it on the t.v. Although you could not see it, they also mentioned Camberwell/Pullum. My guess ( being my usual sarcastic self) is that Joe Weider invented it??? well he would have done if he had seen it. Remind me one day to tell you the story of the "Iron Shoe" David Gentle Oh poop, i have just scrowled down and seen the bit i saw on tv now on the site, so i am going to shut down my p.c and sulk.Re teeth lifting, some guys have claimed teeth or tooth, lifting around 500lbs, eg John Massis a Belgium guy who befriended me, he later committed suicide, i wonder if it was something i said? still on teeth Grimek told me he actually saw The Mighty Atom bite through a genuine six inch nail, but the side effect was the Atom had lost almost all of his teeth so it was a sort of gum lift i suppose.unless you use the leather mouth biting gimmick, dont even think about teeth lifting, finally the most iconic photo i have seen was of Steve Reeves teeth lifting, using the safety tooth gadjet, the genial George Eiferman. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby DannyBoy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 am

Handson wrote:
Holker Hall Cumbria July 2016.png
Hi Dannyboy

You may find this of interest.

Two caveats however. The BBC saw fit to pare down 40 minutes of filming down to just a few minutes hence the dialogue is a bit disjointed and ancillary info has gone. Also because the film crew would not permit a tiny 'Puma' logo on the shirt a 'dress crime' was committed in which a sweater belonging to Adam Schoon the expert interviewer and several sizes too small, had to be worn.

Regards
Handson

Thank you for the heads up Handson, I appreciate it! I couldn't watch it on the BBC website because the "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it's due to rights issues." I was able to find that episode of Antiques Roadshow on YouTube though and enjoyed seeing the barbell. :)

Here's the video for anyone else interested, and the part about the W.A. Pullum barbell begins at about the 8:50 mark.

youtu.be/lLg7BpDiP9k

EDIT 7/13/17: Unfortunately the above video is no longer available as the account that posted it has been terminated.
DannyBoy

Postby Handson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 am

Hi Dannyboy

It seems that having TB in days of yore was an incentive to become strong -ref not only WAP but also this lady, Ivy Russel on the Pullum cambered biggi bar .

Apologies if you've already seen this article.

Regards.
Attachments
Ivy Russel With Pullum Cambered Bar.jpg
Ivy Russel With Pullum Cambered Bar.jpg (317.24 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Handson

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 am

Handson wrote:Hi Dannyboy

It seems that having TB in days of yore was an incentive to become strong -ref not only WAP but also this lady, Ivy Russel on the Pullum cambered biggi bar .

Apologies if you've already seen this article.

Regards.

No, I don't believe I had seen that Ivy Russel article. Thanks for sharing it Handson, I appreciate it! :)
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi Handson,
thanks for the post about Ivy Russel. I had heard of her before but thanks for the reminder as she deserves recognition for making it easier for women to engage in weightlifting competition.I wonder how many women weightlifters today know about her and her contributions.By the was that was you on Antiques Roadshow wasn't it? I know that barbell is unique from the prototype collars.Nice to get a good valuation on such a lovely set.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Handson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Jack Starz Wrestler & Powerlifter.jpg
Jack Starz Wrestler & Powerlifter.jpg (172.31 KiB) Viewed 254 times
Hi Peter

Glad you liked the Ivy Russel article, a powerful woman for her day.
Guilty as charged m'lud over the Antiques Roadshow.
So much of the 40 minutes filming cut away though.
I mentioned buying the set for £5 -equates to about £100 today from a fellow lifter in Chester.
Trained in a big unheated ex Army Nissan hut -hot as Hades in Summer and 'taters' in Winter.
Chap who ran it was called Bob Sconce a pure Olympic lifter competed in the Commonwealth Games way back.
He later became a top snooker judge at Sheffield Crucible &c.He died a few years ago.
Some of the lads & I and bods like Vick Evans and Bryan Connor from nearby Wrexham gym would go to places like the Houldsworth Hall Manchester where Harold Wrigley ran a mix of NABBA contests and dumbell lifting and nail breaking &c. Arnold Dyson was there one year and challenged 10 volunteers to break 6 inch nails. Yours truly was the only successful one -it's in the Health & Strength mag but Oscar Heidenstam lost my name so anon but somewhere I've got a signed card by AD about it.
Adam Schoon Antiques Roadshow valuer asked me if there were any interesting stories -I said knocking my two front teeth out was fairly memorable and started to tell him about some likely lads who came to a gym I later started dressed in Teddy Boy gear including drainpipe trousers. One insisted in trying out a lift in front of his chums so I stuck 150lb on his back and he squatted down to a sound like tearing calico. Adam Schoon -hey stop there, this is a family show!
My family is now on 2nd and 3rd generation trainers -one grand nephew played twice for England Rugby and now a personal trainer and another one is a full time Wrestler by the name of Jack Starz [stage name]. The wrestling earns his crusts so can't say too much about that but he's quite a strong lad and improving all the time -see attachment.

Regards.
Handson

Postby peter yates » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Handson,
funny story about the teddy boy as i used to wear drainpipes but not for squatting though :D .I went to the Holdsworth Hall shows a few times too.Did you know Jim Bartlett?He was Wrigley's mate and put the shows on with him and was a big promoter of strandpulling. I just had an article published about him in H&S magazine.He is still going strong at 82, bless him.Wasn't it good how the shows at that time featured strongmen,handbalancers and the like?Really PC variety shows and not just about the bodybuilders.Thanks for sharing your stories,always enjoy them, and it is good to know you have influenced succeeding family members to train.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby DannyBoy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 am

Handson wrote:
Jack Starz Wrestler & Powerlifter.jpg
Hi Peter

Glad you liked the Ivy Russel article, a powerful woman for her day.
Guilty as charged m'lud over the Antiques Roadshow.
So much of the 40 minutes filming cut away though.
I mentioned buying the set for £5 -equates to about £100 today from a fellow lifter in Chester.
Trained in a big unheated ex Army Nissan hut -hot as Hades in Summer and 'taters' in Winter.
Chap who ran it was called Bob Sconce a pure Olympic lifter competed in the Commonwealth Games way back.
He later became a top snooker judge at Sheffield Crucible &c.He died a few years ago.
Some of the lads & I and bods like Vick Evans and Bryan Connor from nearby Wrexham gym would go to places like the Houldsworth Hall Manchester where Harold Wrigley ran a mix of NABBA contests and dumbell lifting and nail breaking &c. Arnold Dyson was there one year and challenged 10 volunteers to break 6 inch nails. Yours truly was the only successful one -it's in the Health & Strength mag but Oscar Heidenstam lost my name so anon but somewhere I've got a signed card by AD about it.
Adam Schoon Antiques Roadshow valuer asked me if there were any interesting stories -I said knocking my two front teeth out was fairly memorable and started to tell him about some likely lads who came to a gym I later started dressed in Teddy Boy gear including drainpipe trousers. One insisted in trying out a lift in front of his chums so I stuck 150lb on his back and he squatted down to a sound like tearing calico. Adam Schoon -hey stop there, this is a family show!
My family is now on 2nd and 3rd generation trainers -one grand nephew played twice for England Rugby and now a personal trainer and another one is a full time Wrestler by the name of Jack Starz [stage name]. The wrestling earns his crusts so can't say too much about that but he's quite a strong lad and improving all the time -see attachment.

Regards.

Hey Handson, great info there. Sorry to hear Oscar Heidenstam lost your name and you didn't get the proper credit in H&S, but it's a great story. Also, I'm familiar with your grand nephew Jack Starz, he was recently an alternate in the WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament.
DannyBoy

Postby Tom Balchin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi Handson,

What a great Antiques Roadshow that was - I saw it when it was first aired - and Peter was due at mine a couple of days later so we pulled it up on iplayer and watched it again - an incredible barbell with unique (?) tap-style collars? Definitely a keeper!

Have a look at this which I found the other day to add to my collection (I like weightlifting medals and lapel pins!): there can't be many of these surviving - an original CWLC lapel pin.. it's about an inch round - this is in uncleaned state - it looks much better now...
Attachments
CWLC lapel badge 1.jpg
CWLC lapel badge 1.jpg (52.47 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Tom Balchin

PreviousNext

Return to Mail Bag - Ask Us a Question