Charles Atlas... Real or hype?

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, DannyBoy, David Gentle

Re: Charles Atlas... Real or hype?

Postby colinkbell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:01 pm

This is fascinating as I always admired that photo of Vince.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3
colinkbell

Postby peter yates » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi Guys,
here is an interesting story about Charles Atlas.One of my patients grew up on Point Lookout,Long Island, just down the road from were Charlie boy lived. His Gate had a big A on it,but that is not the story. There was a big strong local lifeguard who was a friend of my patients mother. He would relate that as a young man in the 1950s he would go over to the Atlas house and train, and yes that meant lifting weights not Dynamic Tension. So not only did Charlie boy build his physique with weights but actually carried on using them.Apparently he would challenge the local young bucks to keep up with him in a workout but only the lifeguard ever did.My Patient was also warned to call him Mr. Siciliano if he met him in the neighborhood.This is not to say that his system had no value,only to underscore what we all know,and that is it usually takes a variety of training including weights to get the best results.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby David Gentle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I cant give up on the Vince one arm chin with dumbbell topic, whether in hand or up his ass.( Bob said the dumbell was simply handed to him on the way down, taken with a flash and then Vince got back to insulting his customers) I got the story from Bob Kennedy who of course can no longer agree or deny it. but heck, its no big deal, as its easy to chin with both hands then lower with one, so holding a dumbbell as well would not be beyond the average bear. for info on the great VG read Karl Koynes latest tomes. back to the departed Kennedy, we often had long informal chats, another not so known fact is that Vince had a liking for the hard stuff, ,not not HIT but a dram of whiskey, fact is sometimes he got pissed and that may be why he at times had a few tetchy moments. nothing wrong with that, what a miserable world it would be if we were all the same without any human failings. If it really was true, i can imagine David Willoughby translating that feat into vince being able to do" ten times his weight in the single arm dumbbell raise whilst playing the mouth organ and drums at the same time". David Gentle, in a grumpy mood as i have just got off a five hour train journey standing all the way and dying for a cup of java and some chocolate biscuits. What does Sticks think?
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby sticksb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Vince was remarkable in a lot of ways . He liked getting juiced (pissed) too . Members knew
when he was . For all his training knowledge he had some outrageous BS too . Benching heavy
to the neck and something he termed "overtonis" . It was his way or the highway (like Jones).
When asked if he had friends his reply was "I don't really care" as long as I have a lot of students.
The sourpuss thing was his "shtick" and he cultivated it to the hilt . Weider printed a lot of his
training matter "el chepo" and embellished his legend in his mags . Was he a guru ? Well 10-8-6-15
8 sets of 8 , sissy squat marathons were around and written about since Berry and Grimek .Vinny
did live in his gym , did train the stars and was in superb shape even in his cups . I was not a big
fan as I learned early most muscle mag content was motivational rather then informational .
sticksb

Postby sticksb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:24 pm

sticksb wrote:Vince was remarkable in a lot of ways . He liked getting juiced (pissed) too . Members knew
when he was . For all his training knowledge he had some outrageous BS too . Benching heavy
to the neck and something he termed "overtonis" . It was his way or the highway (like Jones).
When asked if he had friends his reply was "I don't really care" as long as I have a lot of students.
The sourpuss thing was his "shtick" and he cultivated it to the hilt . Weider printed a lot of his
training matter "el cheapo" and embellished his legend in his mags . Was he a guru ? Well 10-8-6-15
8 sets of 8 , sissy squat marathons were around and written about since Berry and Grimek .Vinny
did live in his gym , did train the stars and was in superb shape even in his cups . I was not a big
fan as I learned early most muscle mag content was motivational rather then informational .
sticksb

Previous

Return to Mail Bag - Ask Us a Question