ray nobile

Welcome! Please feel free to introduce yourself.
Behind the Scenes at HOPC: Diane Robert Site Administrator, David Gentle Editor-in-Chief, Gil Waldron Contributing Editor, Ron Tyrrell Contributing Writer, Peter Yates Contributing Editor & Writer. Chris "Sticks" Bostick Art Director, DannyBoy and Harry Hayfield, Forum & Facebook Moderators

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, DannyBoy, David Gentle

raynobile

ray nobile

Post by raynobile » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:04 am

hi my name is ray nobile, peter yates reccomended this site to me.i have been training since the age of 13. the year being 1964. im from scotland but now live in bulgaria.still training at 67 . i have competed in body building,powerlifting and strongman. 3 times junior mr scotland.mr scotland,mr europe masters. 4 times british powerlifting champion.world cup powerlifting champion and european powerlifting champion.3 times scotlands strongest man.2 times competitor in britains strongest man.in the first bsm which was televised, i won 3 events outright.tore 16 london telephone directories in 1 minute. only competitor to complete the backlift and won the car deadlift. after 8 events i was in 2nd place to geoff capes. with 4 events to go. however i had injured my lower back doing the backlift so just had to cruise through the final events.ended up 4th overall.started competing from 1967 till 1998.1998 i won the world bodybuilding championships in south africa with the fire and police federation. i look forward to contributing here.

Harry Hayfield

Re: ray nobile

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:40 pm

raynobile wrote:hi my name is ray nobile, peter yates reccomended this site to me.i have been training since the age of 13. the year being 1964. im from scotland but now live in bulgaria.still training at 67 . i have competed in body building,powerlifting and strongman. 3 times junior mr scotland.mr scotland,mr europe masters. 4 times british powerlifting champion.world cup powerlifting champion and european powerlifting champion.3 times scotlands strongest man.2 times competitor in britains strongest man.in the first bsm which was televised, i won 3 events outright.tore 16 london telephone directories in 1 minute. only competitor to complete the backlift and won the car deadlift. after 8 events i was in 2nd place to geoff capes. with 4 events to go. however i had injured my lower back doing the backlift so just had to cruise through the final events.ended up 4th overall.started competing from 1967 till 1998.1998 i won the world bodybuilding championships in south africa with the fire and police federation. i look forward to contributing here.
Decided to get out while the going was good, re Brexit eh? Actually you've been mentioned before on this forum, back in February of last year Peter reviewed a book called "My Life in the Iron Game" which was written by your good self and he said:
his book deals with bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman from the 1960s through to the 1990s and written by a man who excelled in all three activities, while simultaneously occupied in a difficult and stressful job as a fireman. Ray Nobile won numerous regional, Scottish, British,European and World titles in all three disciplines during his long competitive career. His book mentions many famous competitors with whom battled for honors yet became good friends with. It had been some time since i had seen photos of Ray and i was once again struck by how powerful and rugged his physique looked, even as a powerlifter with increased weight he still had a great shape. This is an E-book and at 5 Euros is the price of a couple of cups coffee but is an enjoyable, entertaining and interesting read that is worth much more. You can purchase the E-book from the site Strength-old school.
So to actually have the author join is yet another feather in our cap.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Ray,
welcome to the forum mate.I was going to get in early and give you an introduction but that seems to well taken care of. The forum only has a few active members but like the Iron History forum they are dedicated, knowledgeable, and most of all courteous which we can agree is not the case on many forums. As harry says having you on board is a real boon and I look forward to any contributions and comments to have to share.I think it needs mentioning once more but Ray achieved all his honors while while engaged in a stressful, physically demanding and often dangerous occupation as a firefighter,as is another recent member Jim Duggan. On top of all that he is a good bloke.Oh and don't forget to buy his e-book,well worth it for a nice piece of strength history from one who has been there.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:08 am

Welcome to the HOPC forum, Ray! It's always great to have someone with your knowledge & experience join! :)

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:06 am

thank you danny.im liking what i see on this site.

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Ray's an iron game / strength legend (though he would never act like that or admit it) a good man and good friend.
I love his book and his history in the iron-game.

~Dave
---------
~Dave

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 am

Greetings from Northern Ireland Ray! One side of my family is descended from Scotland. I visited Bourgas a few years back to watch the European Junior Weightlifting Champs whilst staying in a Black Sea tourist resort. Best wishes,Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 am

thanks colin.i was in northern ireland in 2001 with my wife marion when she was competing in uks strongest woman contest,organised by glen ross. marion went on to win britains strongest woman in 2003.bulgaria hosts many sporting events. i live in veliko tarnavo which is central bulgaria.however in the summer i visit bourgas and varna for the great beaches.in varna,right on the beach,there is the training camp hall where the bulgarian weight lifting trained in the 1980s. sadly its derliect now.