Hello from Long Island, NY

Welcome! Please feel free to introduce yourself.
Behind the Scenes at HOPC: Diane Robert Site Administrator, David Gentle Historian, Gil Waldron Research Historian,Ron Tyrrell Historian, Peter Yates Editor-in-Chief. DannyBoy and Harry Hayfield, Forum & Facebook Moderators

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Jim Duggan

Re: Hello from Long Island, NY

Post by Jim Duggan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:46 pm

I've been called many things over the years, however, "hacksaw" never realky stuck. It seems only wrestling- or I should say 'rassling- fans make the connection. Back when I was competing in Powerlifting, when the announcer would announce my name, I think there were some people in the crowd who expected to see me charging onto the platform with a flag, a 2x4, yelling "Hoooo!."
Interestingly, we're both from New York ( although different parts of the state.) He's ten years older. When he was popular in the old WWF, I did have a Styrofoam 2x4 in the back of my car!
And, today, whenever I call, or receive a call from, Steve Weiner, he greets me with a long, loud "Hoooooo!" Oh, and I still have an old Hacksaw action figure from back in the day!

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi jim, looking forward to your valued contributions, we need all the guys we can get and your input would be m ost welcome and valued just to keep us old timers on our toes. cheers mate, David Gentle Tell us some stories about the OABS, i really miss my regular calls with old Vic Boff, i loved the fact he was a connection to the real old legends some of whom i also was lucky to meet. Oh and thanks to Peter for encouraging you to join, that Peter could charm the birds out of the trees. Just dont invite him to your home, he will eat all your food stocks and still be looking for cake.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Jim Duggan

Post by Jim Duggan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks for the warning about Peter, although he is always welcome in my home. I'll just have to have plenty of food around! Not a problem, I take the same precautions for when my brother-in-law comes over. He's a big eater, too ( you step on his foot, and his mouth opens, kind of like a trash can!)
It's funny that you mentioned Vic Boff. I was going through some of my old magazines, and came across some old AOBS newsletters. And I always remember that Vic would send a holiday newsletter around this time of year. Like any other newsletter, but with holiday greetings from Vic, Ann, and Johnny Mandel.
My few interactions with Vic were pleasant ones, as you can imagine. What a gentleman! One time, around 2000, he called me. Out of the blue, the phone rang, and it was him. He had a question about my membership, and of course, we wound up up talking about a lot of different things. He actually was interested in my thoughts about the organization, the dinner itself, and a bunch of other things. He could not have been nicer. I only met him a few other times, but, as far as I'm concerned, he was a first-class gentleman in every way. I only wish I could have known him better, but his legacy continues to this day ( and will continue, hopefully, for years to come.)