What a great find!

Welcome! Please feel free to introduce yourself.
Behind the Scenes at HOPC: Diane Robert Site Administrator, David Gentle Historian, Gil Waldron Research Historian, Peter Yates Editor-in-Chief. and Harry Hayfield, Facebook Moderator. Acknowledgements to the late Chris "Sticks" Bostick, HOPC Art Director and the late Ron Tyrrell, Historian.

Moderator: David Gentle

Kazza61

What a great find!

Post by Kazza61 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:39 am

I will soon be 59 and have had a life long interest in physical culture, bodybuilding and strongman. From before I was born my father always had a bench (made out of an old orange box) a pair of squat stands and a set of weights. He was a subscriber to Health & Strength magazine and I remember reading it from a very young age and knew instinctively I wanted to be one of those men in that magazine. At 13 my father taught me all the exercises and I have been training with wights ever since. I also became an avid collector of all physical culture, bodybuilding and strongman magazines and books. My oldest being some Health & Strength magazines from the 1890's.
Every house I have ever lived in has had a home gym somewhere in it and now have the best ever version of my home gym in my large double garage. Training regularly is just something I do week in week for over 45 years now.
I never did get in the magazines, was never competitive but I love training and the physical and mental health and strength benefits it gives me.
I'm very much looking forward to working my way through this fascinating site.
Cheers.
Kazza61

Harry Hayfield

Re: What a great find!

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:06 am

Kazza61 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:39 am
I will soon be 59 and have had a life long interest in physical culture, bodybuilding and strongman. From before I was born my father always had a bench (made out of an old orange box) a pair of squat stands and a set of weights. He was a subscriber to Health & Strength magazine and I remember reading it from a very young age and knew instinctively I wanted to be one of those men in that magazine. At 13 my father taught me all the exercises and I have been training with wights ever since. I also became an avid collector of all physical culture, bodybuilding and strongman magazines and books. My oldest being some Health & Strength magazines from the 1890's. Every house I have ever lived in has had a home gym somewhere in it and now have the best ever version of my home gym in my large double garage. Training regularly is just something I do week in week for over 45 years now. I never did get in the magazines, was never competitive but I love training and the physical and mental health and strength benefits it gives me. I'm very much looking forward to working my way through this fascinating site. Cheers. Kazza61
Well, thank you very much indeed for finding us. May I welcome you and ask whereabouts in the world you are from, what physical culture feats you have performed (for instance are you a bodybuilding, powerlifting, Olympic lifting champ? Have you done gymnastics? Are you an old time strongman?) and how you came to find out about us?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:16 am

A very warm welcome to the forum.Glad you found us,there must be many, like yourself, who have not yet heard of the site, so if you know others please pass on the information. Also like many of us you have chosen a path that has brought immense joy and satisfaction to your life without the need for recognition,just for the love of the game and the benefits it brings. I am sure you have some interesting stories about your father and yourself,you were blessed having him as a mentor.Anyway i hope you will consider joining in some of the forum discussions and please join the library if you have not already done so.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:58 am

Thank you for the warm welcomes Harry and Peter!

Harry - I am from the UK but I am afraid I have to disappoint you - I am not a champion of any of those sports. Just someone who has enjoyed 45 years of challenging myself with the weights in my home gym. My style of training is typical of bodybuilding training.

Peter - yes, I'll certainly look forward to joining in forum discussions and sharing an anecdote or two.

Best wishes to both of you.
Kazza.