Alexander Zass - Amazing in Other Ways

Extracts from our growing Physical Culture Library that involved many years gathering archival material, scanning thousands of pages and photos and transforming them into a modern web platform.

Moderators: David Gentle, DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield

Re: Alexander Zass - Amazing in Other Ways

Postby peter yates » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi Sergey,
thank you so much for these wonderful photos of Zass, many of which i had not seen before.Also thank you to your friend Igor for all the painstaking work he has done gathering all this information.My townsman Bill Hunt,a very strong man himself,said that pound for pound Zass was the strongest man he had met. One stunt of Zass that amazed me was the one where a car ran over his lower back.Many others allowed cars to run over the abdomen, but it is much more difficult to create the sufficient tension in the lumbar to allow this feat without injury.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby peter yates » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 pm

David Gentle wrote:Hi Gang, Forgive me if I repeat myself, that's a penalty of age. Somewhere out there is an article I wrote on Zass. In it I recall visiting Dave Webster and actually seeing this massive piece of metal that Zass had bent into a u shape. I also mentioned that I had seen Zass in the flesh as it were when I was a kid( that's going back a bit) I was at school and went on walk about with my mate, we saw this strongman tearing big books asunder and also he had a huge rock on his chest which another guy hit with a sledge hammer to break it up. There was a little board with Zass's name on. At that time he was working at Briston Zoo, not so far from me living in the south, and he also did his strength act from time to time. Although a kid, I was taller than him, but I most of all remember how thick his neck was. His hair was thinning, but again he had great posture with a deep chest. I even chose a book for him to tear, obviously I chose the biggest one I could find. He just snapped the spine and tore it apart in about 20 seconds. I know he was good with animals, his eyes were sort of hypnotic. and I thought he was a really nice guy, Other strongmen also visited the same spot, a side street in Southampton called Canal Walk. Cant fix the date, David Gentle Ps, heres a confession, my pal and I were so mad on strongmen, we used to visit the library in Eastleigh and tear out of books any pictures we could find, mostly being Sandow, I am now paying for my sins...

Hi David, great story,and no you have not told it before.How many more gems have you hidden away still yet to share with us. Any more stories from Canal Walk? BTW the Hampshire police department want to question you in relation to some wayward activity at Eastleigh library.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby David Gentle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Re Zass, lots written on him. Pullum in H&S series circa 50s, in York mag Strength and Health, The book by Pullum The Amazing Samson circa 1026 in Peak mag Vol 3 no 1 By David Webster. in Health and Strength by Sergay Zemstav,.I also wrote about him especially after i was contacted from Russia via fans etc who had arranged for a statue to be erected in his honour, photos and report in H&S April in my Muscleanous, both Dave Webster and I were invited to the unveiling. There was also a Russian book a couple of years ago on Zass, again i wrote on it, received a copy and with Webster was invited to the book launch. See H&S oct 2008. For real indepth knowledge about Zass in England ask PAUL SHAW, who with his tomb raider partner, found Zass's grave and again we used photos, but Paul and Sue actually visited the grave (In Hockney??) The wonderful statue is in Russia in Orenburg. as i say, his grave in UK, again ask Paul Shaw on the site for first hand info. David Gentle One thing i must mentiion is in David Wlilloughby's Super Athletes is a life size drawing of the 5/8 x 5 inch bar that Zass bent, the one Dave webster has and the one i tried nearly blacking out at the thought, one guy who Willughby recons did also bend same size bar was Tolson or Apollon who excelled at bending any old iron (theme for a tune_
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby sticksb » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:53 pm

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 111 times
sticksb

Postby David Gentle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Chris aka Mr Sticks, you never cease to amaze me, yes thats the statue and a great one at that. I hope Paul Shaw contacts the site and puts on his photos of the grave and church. as usual, i have the photos, but hidden from the wife so she cant use them on her regular bon fire of my "Clutter" bless her David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby DannyBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 pm

heroolympus wrote:Dear strong men and friends!
Now I want to give you the opportunity to enjoy the rare photos of Alexander Zass and once again make sure that he was great. This is only the first part, there will be many more. Enjoy.

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/5jWQ/Nxv17bwcD

heroolympus wrote:Hi guys! And here is the second part about Samson, as I promised!

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/DLP5/zFsRaP5Bz

Many thanks Sergey! So many great photo to see of the great Alexander Zass!
DannyBoy

Postby Paul Shaw » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi all

I have finally located the photos of Alexander Zass's grave (don't know if they will turn up on this post)

He is buried in the churchyard of Ss Peter and Paul church in Hockley.

I believe Alexander retired to Hockley where a lot of circus people seemed to live. Apparently he used a female assistant Betty Tilbury (nee Jackson) for part of his act and something went wrong, she fell and was crippled. Alexander left her £2,211 in his will.

I enjoyed the photos of Zass, he was an unusual character and led an amazing life

Paul
Paul Shaw

Postby Paul Shaw » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Oh the joys of technology. It won't me upload the photos says file is too big. Which is a really helpful response as it only allows acces to photos and just one photo is too big.

I wonder what halfwit developed this programme

HELP

Paul
Paul Shaw

Postby peter yates » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Paul,
good to hear from you, i was hoping you would weigh in.You could PM Diane to see how you could send the photos or maybe one of the other guys may know how. I owe you a catch up mate.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Previous

Return to Special Features