Darwen Weightlifting Club by Peter Yates

LIBRARY UPDATES CAN BE FOUND ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/HISTORYPC/
Our Library features Iron Men,strength training programs (historical & contemporary), Isometrics,Olympic weightlifting, MAXALDING (Muscle control) Strand-pulling,Feats of strength.

Darwen Weightlifting Club by Peter Yates

Postby drob357 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:49 pm

WRITERS CIRCLE - LATEST INSTALLMENT

Some of the lads after winning a piano smashing contest for Charity Late 1960’s

Peter recounts the fascinating history of Darwen Weightlifting Club in Lancashire, England and the profound effect the Club had on his life.

Full Story: http://www.davidgentle.com/writers/darwen.html
Diane Robert
Site Administrator
http://www.davidgentle.com
drob357
Site Admin

Re: Darwen Weightlifting Club by Peter Yates

Postby sticksb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:24 am

Wonderful look inside a personal journey of health and fitness . Maybe the reason there are so many training boxes today is the sterol nature of commercial gym chains and a longing for the homegrown club atmosphere . Boy would I have hit it off with the "piano smashers"!!! Maurice was the man , and a jewel .
sticksb

Postby DannyBoy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:57 am

Another great article Peter, and a great story of perseverance as well! It definitely sounds like the members of the Darwen Weightlifting Club had a kind of camaraderie that is rarely seen in gyms today, it reminds me of the stories I've read from various bodybuilders who worked out at the original Gold's Gym back in the day and the camaraderie they had. Even if membership isn't what it use to be, it's great to hear that the Darwen Weightlifting Club is still around. Does the club still hold that team deadlift record?

By the way, I'm glad you found that photo of you pressing the anvil that you'd mentioned to me previously, it's a cool photo. You ought to use it as your avatar on here.
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:14 pm

HI GUYS,
YES CAMARADERIE THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE HAD AT THE CLUB. THIS OF COURSE WAS THE NORMAL THING FOR CLUBS OF THIS TYPE AT THAT TIME. EVERYONE HELPED EACH OTHER AND REJOICED IN OTHERS ACHIEVEMENTS. THERE WAS ALWAYS SOME GOOD NATURED BANTER AND A SENSE OF BELONGING. I WAS CERTAINLY BLESSED TO HAVE HAD SUCH A GREAT GROUP OF MEN TO GUIDE ME AS A YOUNGSTER. AS MENTIONED ELSEWHERE I HAVE TRAINED IN BACK YARD GYMS IN AUSTRALIA, UNDER A CORRUGATED LEAN TO IN FIJI AND A HOST OF OTHER SUCH PLACES AND ALWAYS FOUND DECENT,WELCOMING PEOPLE TO TRAIN WITH. I FEEL WE HAVE SOMETHING OF THAT ON THIS FORUM.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:40 am

peter yates wrote:HI GUYS,
YES CAMARADERIE THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE HAD AT THE CLUB. THIS OF COURSE WAS THE NORMAL THING FOR CLUBS OF THIS TYPE AT THAT TIME. EVERYONE HELPED EACH OTHER AND REJOICED IN OTHERS ACHIEVEMENTS. THERE WAS ALWAYS SOME GOOD NATURED BANTER AND A SENSE OF BELONGING. I WAS CERTAINLY BLESSED TO HAVE HAD SUCH A GREAT GROUP OF MEN TO GUIDE ME AS A YOUNGSTER. AS MENTIONED ELSEWHERE I HAVE TRAINED IN BACK YARD GYMS IN AUSTRALIA, UNDER A CORRUGATED LEAN TO IN FIJI AND A HOST OF OTHER SUCH PLACES AND ALWAYS FOUND DECENT,WELCOMING PEOPLE TO TRAIN WITH. I FEEL WE HAVE SOMETHING OF THAT ON THIS FORUM.
REGARDS, PETER.

Ditto. :)
DannyBoy

Postby Tom Balchin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:22 am

Hi Peter!

Thanks so much for sharing that info on Iron History! I asked one of my senior instructors, who is the Blackburn and Darwen Clinical Exercise Lead if he knew about the place- he wrote back

Unsure where it is exactly but think I have an idea an it’s a five minute drive from the centre I am based at. The centre has some pics on the wall of Chris which I’ll photo and send to you later today.

He then wrote back
Here are the pics as taken on the wall of the fitness studio at Darwen leisure Centre. Sorry the quality is poor but if he wants a better copy I will have them unscrewed from the wall and try to take a better image ?

Sounds like Chris was very much a local hero!
Attachments
20161220_091131.jpg
20161220_091131.jpg (546.15 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Tom Balchin

Postby Tom Balchin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:23 am

and another
Attachments
20161220_085517.jpg
20161220_085517.jpg (1020.27 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Tom Balchin

Postby peter yates » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Hey Tom,
thanks for posting these and thanks to your man up there for finding them. I have many photos of Chris but have never seen that one as i have not been in the new leisure center gym.Chris was indeed a local hero and well liked by all who knew him. On trips back to Darwen i visit his wife Pauline, now in her mid 80s to reminisce and a couple of years ago she gave me many photos of Chris and the other lads. I have been planning an article about Chris for some time now but this has jolted me into action, thanks. By the way i could not see the second photo for some reason and if he could take a photo without the frame it would be appreciated but no rush on that.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby peter yates » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 pm

It is with the greatest sadness that i have to report the passing of one of the stalwarts of Darwen Weightlifting Club.Alan Kershaw died suddenly while working in his garden. I have no further information but it seems like a massive heart attack.Alan was always a picture of health and rarely even suffered from a cold and was still training 3 nights a week at 71.He was a really good man and strong as bull and the club has lost a great support in Alan.I extend my sympathy to all of his family and friends.Alan my friend God bless and R.I.P.
Sincerely,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby peter yates » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Just a correction,Alan was actually 73.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Next

Return to HOPC Library