Bruce Lee

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Tom K

Re: Bruce Lee

Post by Tom K » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:11 am

My opinion of him, from someone who's seen the "bullshido" being exposed by modern mma.

Even today in China, martial arts are seen as sacred. There is a mma fighter who is going around beating the crap out of "martial artists" in China to show that they are largely out of date. He's being widley censored.

So for Bruce Lee to develop what he did, in the total bubble in the 60s before the UFC is incredible. Of course he is going to make mistakes as he was a pioneer. His writing on weight training cut through all the high volume steroid works by Weider et alia to provide methods that work.

He clearly had an incisive mind, as mentioned above where would he have gone in a few more years? He had only really just started.

That lat pose in enter the dragon would win most pro bb natural competitions hands down.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi Tom,IMO, one of Lee's greatest gifts was he was a thinker and seeker and challenged others to be the same.I feel he also understood that once a firm grounding is in place each individual must find a 'style' that fits them, not a person fitting the style.Martial arts as all arts, are in one way a means of personal expression and Lee was continuing to develop that. The thing about MMA is that it is a sport with rules, referees, timed rounds etc. These are non existent in the street, also going to the ground in the street or bar is not a wise thing to do.The best teachers i have had could all fight for real, but would avoid fighting at all costs if there was no need for it. The toughest fighters i have come across and trained with were wrestlers and ex special forces.We had a bouncers group in the 1970's and would get together to work on real world scenarios. Learned a lot from those gatherings that helped me in some hairy situations over the years.As for physique, i am sure more young men would like to look like Lee than some of the bloated monsters of today's bodybuilding scene.His training is just as valid today as it was then.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 pm

@Tom K: That "lat pose" in Enter The Dragon, was in fact a scapula extension. And yeah, it looked great. Bruce Lee was quite the expert on scapula control, according to some of his students. It always made me wonder if Lee was a Maxalding student, as he was living in Hong Kong, a British territory, he would have seen ads for the course in local publications.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi Talbot,
you are right, Lee had great muscle control and agree that it is a good possibility he practiced Maxalding or one of the other courses of MC. Also the traditional Chinese Martial arts have MC type exercises for body development and i have a suspicion that Monte Saldo was influenced by these and yoga type exercises, when he had his gym where visitors from around the world including the East would visit.It can be assumed there was some cross pollination.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:56 pm

@Peter: I do not believe Monte Saldo was influenced by anyone after Maxick. Saldo was a student of Sandow, and when he discovered Maxick, he brought Maxick to see Sandow. Maxick did is muscle control routine for Sandow, and Sandow said that Maxick was the best example of someone with the best natural muscle control that he had ever seen. That's the point! Saldo could do some muscle control, so could Sandow. The thing with Maxick is that he knew it was possible to train to develop Muscle Control, and that was revolutionary. I know the you and Gil Waldron think that Maxick got his idea for the stomach vacuum from yoga, however, as Monte Saldo said that move didn't exist in Yoga, nor anywhere else, before Maxick did it. The only yoga move close to it was rolling the stomach, as in stomach dancing, as Saldo referred to it, or belly dancing as it is known today. If yoga had developed the vacuum pose, and its varieties, there would be Hindi names for those poses. There aren't any that I can find.

Monte Saldo did indeed use his gym to present things such as Yoga, Eastern Martial Arts, Indian Wrestlers, still once he met Maxick his whole world changed, for the better. Saldo appreciated Physical Culture methods from all cultures and territories, yet it is obvious that once he and Maxick started Maxalding, he never looked back.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi Talbot,
i respect and appreciate your point of view regarding the transmission of MC to Saldo. I do have a query though and that is where did Maxick really learn his MC. I cannot believe he created this system as a young lad, that was so sophisticated.As regards the names for the Vacuum and central isolation in Hindi, i looked up my old notes from when i practiced Hatha yoga and found these. Vacuum is Uddyana Banda and central isolation is Madyana Nauli. I happen to know these are quite old yoga exercises having been shown them in a 17th century book by my teacher. Whatever Maxick was a phenomenon and the Maxalding system a terrific invention that benefited thousands.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Getting back to Bruce Lee and MC. There is no doubt that the practice of MC can enhance any sport or physical endeavor. Speed, coordination and ease of movement are just some of the benefits that may be obtained from regular practice. All essential for smooth application of fighting techniques.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:30 am

@Peter: Yes the vacuum pose does have Hindi names now, however did it exist before Maxick? Most of what are called yoga positions, poses, and movements today, really didn't exist even a hundred years ago. Yoga has been evolving for thousands of years. For instance the Sun Salutation, or Surya Namaskar, in Hindi, one of the most popular yoga moves today, can't be traced back to any ancient yoga practice at all. Indeed it can't be traced back even 75 years! So if you know of a 17th century book that mentions the vacuum pose as being part of yoga back then, then I would certainly be most interested in the title of that book, so I could research the subject better.

As for you not believing Maxick's story of how he discovered MC, I don't see why you can't believe it. The story he told was straight forward. He was a sickly kid. His parents considered him quite fragile, and with doctors orders, forbade him to exert himself with exercise. After seeing a strong man act at the circus, Maxick knew what he want to be: Strong! Unfortunately, with his parent's "caring" about him, weight lifting was out of the question. So, gradually, he did easy exercises, that even as a child, he recognized as giving him greater strength. As a boy, it is possible to develop strong tendons and ligaments, though getting big muscles has to wait, until your body starts producing large amounts of testosterone at puberty. Years of trial and error in his childhood, produced great results. He was fortunate the he didn't have the distractions that children have today, to waste their time with.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi Talbot,
thank you for your thoughtful reply. I must concede that the Story Maxick told may be completely true.It is just that over the years i have become more suspicious of stories of the origins of systems and claims made.It is just my opinion of course and there is no way i can substantiate it one way or another.I just feel he must have had some outside influence that led him to his discoveries because the system was so evolved and sophisticated when he first presented it.Whatever the origins i have the greatest respect for Maxick and the Maxalding system and hope more people can still discover it.Of course the personalized approach is no longer available but what we have passed down is of great interest if studied carefully.
I must qualify that the book i saw was a reproduction of an early yoga text, one of many my teacher owned. I now wished i had paid more attention. Unfortunately it is over 40 years since i saw the book and that teacher is long gone.I wonder if there are any yoga historians out there who have more details.Glad to see your recent posts and trust you are doing well.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:10 am

@Tom K: You say that there is an MMA fighter that is going around China, beating the crap out of traditional martial artists? You say he is being censored? By Whom? And, who is he anyway?