The best system for self defense ?

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

peter yates

Re: The best system for self defense ?

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:12 pm

One thing i feel that should be mentioned is the role of balance for anyone involved in the fighting arts. While an individual should be capable and willing to do what is needed to preserve the safety of self and others there should be methods in place to prevent said individual from becoming like the thugs they are defending against. I have seen this seen this sense of power and ego take over more than once. As i mentioned before i always wanted to do something that would benefit others. I found that in the healing arts which is a perfect balance for the combat arts.In fact at one time the only access to healing for many in villages throughout East Asia was via the local martial arts master who was trained in treating trauma.As one master put it too me "If you can break someone's arm you should know how to fix it." There is a great movie that depicts this in action,AKAHIGE [Red beard,] staring Toshiro Mifune and directed by Akira Kurosawa.The story is of a Dr.Kyojo Niide AKA Red Beard who ministers to the sick and needy whether they can pay or not.In one Scene he goes to rescue a girl from a brothel and in the process has to break legs,dislocate shoulders and other injuries to the thugs who try to prevent him.He then once the situation is controlled fixes the injuries.Of course there is so much more in the film and i have always encouraged anyone who is interested in a career in medicine or healing to watch this movie and see the true essence of being of service to others. With such balance one can maintain human dignity and develop the spirit.Another thing that has made a huge difference in my life is the inclusion of daily meditation. I began meditation several years after first learning martial arts and i could feel its effects on my personality quite quickly.I became much calmer and more peaceful inside while developing over time an acute awareness of my surroundings and others. This of course then aided both my martial and healing skills.Hope this makes sense to others.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Quadsquat

Post by Quadsquat » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Peter

just based on your posts on this thread you should be writing up you life story

everyone has a story worth reading (and i do mean everyone) but yours would be outstanding

it sounds daunting but you could do it in a monthly series start at the beginning (as they always a good place to start)

you can skim through and spend more time where you feel it needs more time and attention

you know, we have each lived unique lives NEVER to be repeated i always think its a shame when all that experience has not been documented to inspire , teach and warn others

id be happy to assist you if you need a stern and sarcastic task master (nobody better)

I dont know David very well (except by name) but I know there is a fascinating story there as well (not sure if i have see this on the site?)

thanks BTW David for this amazing site wish id joined years ago

Liam

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Mate, i agree with you, Peters live story would be amazing, he is some special guy. Thank you also for joining the gang and becoming activily involved. Going back to Peters story and breaking arms, i remember way back in my learning days as chuck out man in the pubs of breaking a guys arm, with the common old judo police come along hold. When his arm broke, the noise and the sight of it, looking so weird, make me feel so sick and queesy, that i was worse that the bloke i had just chucked out...Peter once again is so right, dont do anything you cant fix. As for my story, its all over the place, via articles and in several books eg. Bill Pears Legends of the Iron Game vol 2. anyway, i havent finished yet.......David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Liam,
i certainly agree everyone has a story to tell that may contain something of value to others.That is why the past few years i have been writing about certain people whose stories deserve to be told,you can find many in the library here. I have at times thought about writing more about myself but too be honest it is finding the time,and any time i have i prefer to write and read about others. Also being firmly entrenched in the paleolithic era as far as technology goes and incredibly slow at typing makes it more of a chore. In many of the articles i have written about others,especially my teachers, something of my own story comes through as my life is interwoven with theirs. Not to say i may not in the future just not for now. I must say Liam i have been fascinated by some of the stories you have revealed about yourself and interactions with others, on the Iron History forum.While i really enjoy and appreciate the articles from old magazines you post, i must say your personal stories are as interesting if not more so.You can read some of David's earlier life in the Library here. A very interesting man to be sure.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates