The Off Topic sub-forum

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: drob357

DannyBoy

The Off Topic sub-forum

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:30 pm

Yesterday I asked/suggested to Diane that we have an Off Topic sub-forum here because many forums have such sections and so I felt it was appropriate to have one here. She was kind enough to oblige, so again, thank you Diane! :D

This sub-forum is the place for all of us here to just chat and discuss topics & subject matters that aren't related to Physical Culture and the like that this forum is dedicated to; movies, music, sports, video games, books and so on & so forth. I'm sure everyone gets the gist of what an Off Topic sub-forum is, so enjoy! :)

Harry Hayfield

Re: The Off Topic sub-forum

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:27 am

Ah, excellent, so I could post my forecasts for the upcoming Canadian election here then (and ask for Diane's thoughts on the campaign nationally as a well as in her local riding).
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:12 am

Heres a fact out of the blue. I was a mate with George Greenwood who took some amazing photos and ran several mags.Anyway at the first 1948 Mr Universe contest ran along with the Olympics held in London. As you all know Grimek won. Greewood who was put on the judging panel in place of Hoffman to avoid any bias to U.S.A competitors, said one of the other judges non other than the great George Hackensmidt actually voted for Steve Reeves to win, saying Steve "had the best physique." but Reevs was a poor poser, whereas Grimek a former model could pose for 30 minutes without repeating the pose. also Grimek thrilled the crowd with muscle control and some great feats of strength including bending an iron bar over his forearm by simply just smashing the bar over his arm. Greenwood said the crowd would go mad if they didnt pick Grimek and so history was made. Hackensmit used to train over the back of a pub secretely using 160lbs in bench press when at a very advanced age.He was also very literate and could speak several lanquages. However i still thnk Frank Gotch beat Hack fair and square despite all lhe tales of dirty fighting. Hacks style was somewhat limited, whereas Gotch fought to win. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:51 am

David Gentle wrote:Heres a fact out of the blue. I was a mate with George Greenwood who took some amazing photos and ran several mags.Anyway at the first 1948 Mr Universe contest ran along with the Olympics held in London. As you all know Grimek won. Greewood who was put on the judging panel in place of Hoffman to avoid any bias to U.S.A competitors, said one of the other judges non other than the great George Hackensmidt actually voted for Steve Reeves to win, saying Steve "had the best physique." but Reevs was a poor poser, whereas Grimek a former model could pose for 30 minutes without repeating the pose. also Grimek thrilled the crowd with muscle control and some great feats of strength including bending an iron bar over his forearm by simply just smashing the bar over his arm. Greenwood said the crowd would go mad if they didnt pick Grimek and so history was made. Hackensmit used to train over the back of a pub secretely using 160lbs in bench press when at a very advanced age.He was also very literate and could speak several lanquages. However i still thnk Frank Gotch beat Hack fair and square despite all lhe tales of dirty fighting. Hacks style was somewhat limited, whereas Gotch fought to win. David Gentle
I think that's a real neat piece of trivia there, that Georg Hackenschmidt voted for Steve Reeves over John Grimek at the 1948 Mr. Universe contest. 8-)

Thanks for sharing, David. I always enjoy learning tidbits like that.

domanton

Post by domanton » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:52 pm

thankyou for this information
Sharp & Fellows Inc. has been in business as a railroad contracting company since 1877.