PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and it's history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby peter yates » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi Guys,
i was sorry to read about the passing of another music legend,Mr. Chuck Berry. He did though reach the ripe old age of 90 and sure did have a checkered life. Without doubt he goes down in music history as one of the greatest and original Rockers of all time.His influence on the development of rock music is without question, from the Stones and Beatles onward.RIP Chuck Berry.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby Talbot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 pm

"Hail! Hail Rock And Roll! Deliver me from the days of old!"

"She gets so excited. Watch her, look at her run, now."

"He never, ever learned to read or write so well, but he could play a guitar, just like a ringin' a bell!"

Licks AND Lyrics. RIP Chuck Berry, the great bard of Rock And Roll!
Talbot

Postby sticksb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 pm

When I was a kid my older buddies took me along to a Rolling Stones concert . As
the boys and girls jerked , frugged and gyrated to the tunes off of 12 by 5 , I sat
transfixed at the ramrod straight figure of Brian Jones burping out Chuck , Howling
and Muddy riffs on his Gibson firebird . "Just like me " I thought . Just another white
kid woodshedding in his room trying to get the shuffle down off of "Promised Land"
or "Memphis" . Thanks Chuck for the sliding 9ths and the joy . Nadine ! Is that YOU !!! ???
sticksb

Postby sticksb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 pm

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Wood cut portrait of Chuck Berry
by Ronnie Wood of the Stones who is a fabulous artist and good friend of the
late CB .
sticksb

Postby David Gentle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Dont know if i mentioned it before as its little to do with bodybuilding. but for years i played guitar in Romsey and Southampton pubs ( and we had more than our share of fights ) and our favourite tune was "Sweet little sixteen" it makes what hair i have left stand on end. We were first told,"Cant pay you guys, but you can drink as much as you like for free" after three weeks, the landlord said. "Whoops sorry boys....we were called The Whisky Macks" it being our usual drink....anyway, the landlord continued by saying it would be cheaper to pay us than the former drink what you like deal. We also played a lot of Fats Domino stuff like Blue Monday. In a sea port there were some rough and tough customers, but music soothed the savage breast when we got into stride. I am the sole remaining member of the group. yes we just loved Chuck Berry. David Gentle supposed to be writing on muscles not music.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby sticksb » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 pm

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (78.46 KiB) Viewed 531 times
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (81.6 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Best $15.00 I ever spent . Over 50 years ago . My favorite was " Promised Land ".
sticksb

Postby peter yates » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 pm

David Gentle wrote:Dont know if i mentioned it before as its little to do with bodybuilding. but for years i played guitar in Romsey and Southampton pubs ( and we had more than our share of fights ) and our favourite tune was "Sweet little sixteen" it makes what hair i have left stand on end. We were first told,"Cant pay you guys, but you can drink as much as you like for free" after three weeks, the landlord said. "Whoops sorry boys....we were called The Whisky Macks" it being our usual drink....anyway, the landlord continued by saying it would be cheaper to pay us than the former drink what you like deal. We also played a lot of Fats Domino stuff like Blue Monday. In a sea port there were some rough and tough customers, but music soothed the savage breast when we got into stride. I am the sole remaining member of the group. yes we just loved Chuck Berry. David Gentle supposed to be writing on muscles not music.

Hi David,a man of many talents. looks like a few of us have our roots in early rock,R&B.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby DannyBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:15 pm

I was sorry to hear about Chuck Berry's passing last weekend. He certainly had his ups & downs, but he really is one the true greats, legends and pioneers of rock & roll, a huge influence on rock music and many of the genre's greatest bands & artists. My favorite Chuck Berry song is "Memphis, Tennessee" from 1959. May Chuck Berry rest in peace and may God bless & comfort all of his family, friends & fans.

DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 pm

David Gentle wrote:Dont know if i mentioned it before as its little to do with bodybuilding. but for years i played guitar in Romsey and Southampton pubs ( and we had more than our share of fights ) and our favourite tune was "Sweet little sixteen" it makes what hair i have left stand on end. We were first told,"Cant pay you guys, but you can drink as much as you like for free" after three weeks, the landlord said. "Whoops sorry boys....we were called The Whisky Macks" it being our usual drink....anyway, the landlord continued by saying it would be cheaper to pay us than the former drink what you like deal. We also played a lot of Fats Domino stuff like Blue Monday. In a sea port there were some rough and tough customers, but music soothed the savage breast when we got into stride. I am the sole remaining member of the group. yes we just loved Chuck Berry. David Gentle supposed to be writing on muscles not music.

That's great David! I love "Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino, did you ever play that one?
DannyBoy

Postby sticksb » Sun May 28, 2017 2:46 am

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (132.59 KiB) Viewed 397 times
Another man done gone . One of rocks seminal vocalists and instrumentalists .The
greatest live rock performance I ever witnessed was the original Allman Brothers
Band in 1970 . 3 hours and not a wasted note . Peace at last and reunited with the
old Skydog ... RIP Greg .
sticksb

Next

Return to Off Topic