What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and it's history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

Re: What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Postby DannyBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Last night I watched 13 West Street (1962) starring Alan Ladd, Rod Steiger, Michael Callan & Dolores Dorn. The story concerns an aerospace engineer who is brutally beaten & put in the hospital by group of well dressed juvenile delinquents, and after becoming unsatisfied with the lack of progress by the police to find them, he becomes a vigilante and attempts to hunt them down himself. I thought this was a pretty good film, but perhaps could've been a bit more stark overall. Alan Ladd & Rod Steiger were good, but Michael Callan was the standout of the film playing the leader of the "gang". 13 West Street was notably Ladd's final starring role, he only made one more film before his passing at 50 in January 1964.

13 West Street (1962) - IMDb
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Last night for TCM's Sunday Silent Nights block they showed The Outlaw and His Wife (1918) starring Victor Sjöström, Edith Erastoff, John Ekman & Nils Aréhn, and was also directed by Victor Sjöström. The film takes place in 18th century Iceland where stranger named Kari comes from the south to work on the farm of wealthy widow Halla, they fall in love but Kari is revealed to be an escaped thief named Berg-Ejvind, forcing them to flee up into the remote mountains to live their lives & hide from the law. The Outlaw and His Wife was a landmark in Swedish cinema as well as groundbreaking for it's portrayal of wild nature. It's an excellent film and beautifully shot, the Swedish landscapes which stand in for the Highlands of Iceland look really magnificent. The legendary Victor Sjöström did a great job as both the director and the lead actor. The story was apparently based on a real life 18th century Icelandic outlaw known as "Eyvindur of the Mountains".

The Outlaw and His Wife (1918) - IMDb
DannyBoy

Postby sticksb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:01 am

Face of Fire . James Whitmore ...
sticksb

Postby DannyBoy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Last night I watched Lizzie (1957) starring Eleanor Parker, Richard Boone, Joan Blondell & Hugo Haas (who also directed). The story is about a 25 year old woman with three distinct personalities and the psychiatrist who tries to help her. Lizzie is a very good & intriguing film, Parker was particularly excellent as Elizabeth/Lizzie/Beth and Blondell was fun & at times funny. Boone is enjoyable as always as well. This is definitely an underrated film, I believe part of that being as a result of it being overshadowed by a very similar film released around the same time/year, The Three Faces of Eve which featured Joanne Woodward in her breakout performance that also won her an Oscar. Lizzie is certainly worth checking out.

Lizzie (1957) - IMDb
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

This afternoon I watched Gambling Lady (1934) starring Barbara Stanwyck, Joel McCrea, Pat O'Brien, C. Aubrey Smith & Clair Dodd. The story concerns a the daughter of a well known gambler who comes to earn her living via gambling, she meets and falls in love with a wealthy young man, but an old acquaintance of his starts to come between their happiness. This was a pretty good little pre-code drama made right there at the tail end of the pre-code era. Barbara Stanwyck was the standout, as she so often was, but the entire cast played their parts well. At only 66 minutes long, Gambling Lady was a quick & easy watch.

Gambling Lady (1934) - IMDb
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:35 am

A little while ago I watched Under Eighteen (1931) starring Marian Marsh, Anita Page, Regis Toomey, Warren William & Norman Foster. The film is about a poor girl who works as a seamstress at a fashion house who sours on marriage after seeing what her sister goes through, and turns to a rich playboy to help her out so she can get ahead. I thought this was an excellent pre-code film and very earnest. It showed how hard life was for many during the great depression and the unhappiness & strife they suffered through. Marian Marsh was very good & lovely and and the "King of Pre-Code" himself Warren William was enjoyable as always. William always excelled in the playboy/businessman role, usually of the heelish type, though his character here wasn't such a scoundrel.

Under Eighteen (1931) - IMDb
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:35 am

This morning I watched The Symbol of the Unconquered (1920) starring Iris Hall, Walker Thompson, Lawrence Chenault & Louis Dean. The film is about a light-skinned black woman who goes to stay on the homestead she's inherited from her grandfather and strikes up a friendship with her neighbor, a young prospector who believes she's white, and helps him save his (unknown to him oil rich) land from a sinister group of men who want it for themselves. The film was a bit oddly paced and overly dramatic at times, but it's still an interesting look into early African American cinema, what was known as a "race film" at the time. It was directed by pioneering film maker Oscar Micheaux, who was the first major African American feature filmmaker and the most successful one of the first half of the 20th century. The Symbol of the Unconquered is certainly worth checking out for its historical value.

The Symbol of the Unconquered (1920) - IMDb
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:25 am

This morning on TCM's recently introduced programming block Noir Alley, they showed The Blue Gardenia (1953) starring Anne Baxter, Richard Conte, Ann Sothern, Raymond Burr, Jeff Donnell & George Reeves and directed by the great Fritz Lang. The film is about a lonely telephone operator who ends up drunk and at the mercy of a scoundrel who attempts to date rape her in his apartment, she wakes up the next morning only to later find out he was murdered and believes she did it. This wasn't Fritz Lang's best film or even his best film noir, but it was a very good film noir and is often overlooked among Lang's filmography & the film noir genre in general. Lang's direction was superb as always and the cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca was top notch, and the cast gave all around good performances. After watching The Blue Gardenia I'm a bit surprised the film wasn't met with any opposition in the Production Code office at the time, though the Hays Code was beginning to weaken a bit by then. If you're a film noir fan or a Fritz Lang fan, this is one definitely worth checking out. Also of note, the legendary Nat King Cole made appearance as a lounge singer in The Blue Gardenia and sang the song "Blue Gardenia" which was written specifically for the film.

The Blue Gardenia (1953) - IMDb
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 am

Late Sunday night/early Monday morning I watched The Mind Benders (1963) starring Dirk Bogarde, Mary Ure, John Clements & Michael Bryant. The film is about a British doctor, who in order to clear the name of a former colleague, takes part in an isolation experiment that turns into brainwashing. I thought The Mind Benders was a very good thriller with an original plot that presents an interesting premises about sensory deprivation making one susceptible to brainwashing (though whether it's actually possible, I have no idea). The direction by the great Basil Dearden is superb and the entire cast provide fine performances, though Borgarde & Ure standout in particular. I'd call The Mind Benders somewhat of a precursor to the excellent 1980 film Altered States starring William Hurt. The title of this film inspired the name of 1960s beat group The Mindbenders of "Game of Love" & "A Groovy Kind of Love" fame.

The Mind Benders (1963) - IMDb
DannyBoy

Postby Mobster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Watching 'They Day The Earth Caught Fire' - a classic 1961 apocalyptic B&W movie. It starts in a yellow 'heat' tint (very clever). The end was left deliberately vague.
Mobster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic