PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and it's history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby David Gentle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Re Rock and Roll, we had a group of around 5 to 6, and played in all the local pubs, but we all lived 5 miles away from the main town, and by the time the pubs shut ,and no taxis would take us,("those guys are just trouble".) so we walked, carrying all our equipment, guitars,drums, base etc, half way home around midnight, we would stop and as there was little if any traffic in the roads in those days and at that time, we would set up, without electrics of course, and do a gig just for ourselves. you would at first see one light go on, then another and soon the whole surrounding homes had their lights on with some coming out to have a rather late session...great days/nights, but when i got home, i always got a rollicking from my mother bless her. Its beginning to look to me as most of our guys on the site are as nuts on music and muscle....love it. David Gentle, ps.yes i do play Blueberry Hill, loving the intro.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
User avatar
David Gentle
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: England

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby dhartnet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Ahh yes, the good old band days when you would do anything to play.
This band pic is from 28 years ago when I was 23, oh to be that age again :)

Image
---------
~Dave
User avatar
dhartnet
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:48 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 pm

dhartnet wrote:Ahh yes, the good old band days when you would do anything to play.
This band pic is from 28 years ago when I was 23, oh to be that age again :)

Image

Cool photo. 8-) Gotta ask you Dave.... how was the groupie scene? :D
User avatar
DannyBoy
 
Posts: 2242
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 pm

David Gentle wrote:Re Rock and Roll, we had a group of around 5 to 6, and played in all the local pubs, but we all lived 5 miles away from the main town, and by the time the pubs shut ,and no taxis would take us,("those guys are just trouble".) so we walked, carrying all our equipment, guitars,drums, base etc, half way home around midnight, we would stop and as there was little if any traffic in the roads in those days and at that time, we would set up, without electrics of course, and do a gig just for ourselves. you would at first see one light go on, then another and soon the whole surrounding homes had their lights on with some coming out to have a rather late session...great days/nights, but when i got home, i always got a rollicking from my mother bless her. Its beginning to look to me as most of our guys on the site are as nuts on music and muscle....love it. David Gentle, ps.yes i do play Blueberry Hill, loving the intro.

Nice! I've loved Fats Domino's version of "Blueberry Hill" since I was a little kid. :)


youtu.be/bQQCPrwKzdo
User avatar
DannyBoy
 
Posts: 2242
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby peter yates » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:48 pm

dhartnet wrote:Ahh yes, the good old band days when you would do anything to play.
This band pic is from 28 years ago when I was 23, oh to be that age again :)

Image

Cool photo Dave with a lot of happy memories i am sure [groupies?] ;) My sons' 3 best friends are in a band and he is their unofficial manager and gets them gigs. I hope they are taking photos so they can look back on this special time in their lives.
Keep rocking,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby sticksb » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 am

10/03/2017 Notes the passing of the wonderful Charlie T Wilbury Jr. The great Tom Petty
was a great great musician and song writer . He is pictured with a double neck Rick . Simple
hook laden melodies that always stuck in the head and as simple as they were to play no one
will ever play them better then Tom did . So long hatter .
Attachments
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 29 times
sticksb
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby DannyBoy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Well put Sticks, Tom Petty was a great musician & song writer indeed. I've liked his music as far back as I can remember and one of the earliest CDs I ever bought was "Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits", which I still have and am playing as I type this.

Image


Rest in peace Tom Petty, thank you for the great music over the years and Godspeed to you good sir. May God bless & comfort all of his family & friends.
User avatar
DannyBoy
 
Posts: 2242
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby dhartnet » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 pm

No groupies for me, been with Julie since age 16, sooooo....

Anyways, Tom Pettys passing is pretty sad. We've lost a bunch this year, including my favorite guitar player of all time (Dave Hlubek of Molly Hatchet).

At this age (51) all my hero's are dropping dead).

Image
---------
~Dave
User avatar
dhartnet
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:48 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby DannyBoy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:17 pm

dhartnet wrote:No groupies for me, been with Julie since age 16, sooooo....

Anyways, Tom Pettys passing is pretty sad. We've lost a bunch this year, including my favorite guitar player of all time (Dave Hlubek of Molly Hatchet).

At this age (51) all my hero's are dropping dead).

Image

Aw man, I hadn't heard that Dave Hlubek passed away and in looking it up I also just discovered original Molly Hatchet bassist Banner Thomas passed away back in April, I'm sorry to hear that in both cases. May Dave Hlubek & Banner Thomas both rest in peace and may God continue to bless & comfort all of their families & friends.

It's sad, with the passing of Banner Thomas & Dave Hlubek this year, and the passings of Danny Joe Brown in 2005, Duane Roland in 2006 & Bruce Crump in 2015, Steve Holland is now the sole living original member of Molly Hatchet. :(

Image
User avatar
DannyBoy
 
Posts: 2242
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Postby sticksb » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Hlubek's tone : a Hamer explorer lookalike w/59 Dunks and boy
could Dave sing (original MH vocalist). The birth of metal below
the Mason/Dixon ...
sticksb
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest