Question of the Week - Best Advice

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

drob357
Site Admin

Question of the Week - Best Advice

Post by drob357 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 am

QUESTION OF THE WEEK

If you could sit down with your 15-year old self, what would you tell him or her?
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

Harry Hayfield

Re: Question of the Week - Best Advice

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:34 am

I was 15 in 1989 / 1990 and that was the year we moved house because I was being bullied something awful in my old school so therefore I would said the following:

"Now, I know that you hate Games with a vengeance and given the attitude of the past school I do not blame you, but you are now in a new school so I want you to do something for me. Write two letters, one to the head teacher saying that you are looking forward to attending the school and hope to be as involved as possible and then one to the head of the PE department explaining that troubles that you had at your old school and that as a result you hate Games, but offer the following as a way forward. You would be more than willing to arrive at Games during the break in the lessons before hand, to change into sporting clothes, but would ask that you are able to indulge your supressed interest in exercise using weights as I know this school has a weights gym but not any of the other sports. It is possible that they may haver on the issue, so reassure them that a) if they allowed you this, you would attend every Games class on time and without fail (but unlike your previous school actually take part), b) make a careful note of your progress and c) if it was needed or required would be only to happy to amend your diet to help"

The first time I went to that new school I gave serious credence to the idea of speaking to both the head teacher and the Games teacher about the virtues of this idea but although I managed to find the head teacher's office without any problems at all, the Games teacher's office was a complete mystery (in fact I couldn't even find the changing room for the Games section) which meant that I missed the first Games lesson completely. When I said that it was because I had got completely lost the head teacher seemed to sense that I was not keen on Games and suggested that as I had passed Maths at the first attempt, perhaps I could do something else whilst everyone was doing Games and that something else turned out to be my first self published book (a guide to the programming language LOGO) which was written by one of the teachers but which I put into a BBC Micro and turned it into a book (which I believe is still used in the school today)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

sticksb

Re: Question of the Week - Best Advice

Post by sticksb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:49 pm

"Make a side business of art". I did but to a very limited degree . No jumping
squats in training . Save your collectables .