An allusion to the days of physical culture

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

Harry Hayfield

An allusion to the days of physical culture

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:22 pm

Patreon is a website where people ask for continual donations for various projects (usually connected to the arts or performing arts) and having joined it to see what the fuss is about found this picture by a user called "GymJunkie" that I think Sticks may find very interesting

https://www.patreon.com/posts/alfonso-great-14690923

The title of the piece is "Alfonso, the strongest man in the world" and has been made to look as if it was made in the late 19th century and thought that members might be interested to see that physical culture is still being appreciated by the artists of today

I was hoping to be able to post a thumbnail of the image but it's too big
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Re: An allusion to the days of physical culture

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:18 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:Patreon is a website where people ask for continual donations for various projects (usually connected to the arts or performing arts) and having joined it to see what the fuss is about found this picture by a user called "GymJunkie" that I think Sticks may find very interesting

https://www.patreon.com/posts/alfonso-great-14690923

The title of the piece is "Alfonso, the strongest man in the world" and has been made to look as if it was made in the late 19th century and thought that members might be interested to see that physical culture is still being appreciated by the artists of today

I was hoping to be able to post a thumbnail of the image but it's too big

I think this dude is talented with whatever software he used to create his 3D illustration, but this Alfonso the Great character looks much more like a modern mass monster bodybuilder with a handlebar mustache than a 19th century strongman. Kudos to him on the 3D illustration though, it looks good. Thanks for sharing it, Harry.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:28 am

DannyBoy wrote:Image
I think this dude is talented with whatever software he used to create his 3D illustration, but this Alfonso the Great character looks much more like a modern mass monster bodybuilder with a handlebar mustache than a 19th century strongman. Kudos to him on the 3D illustration though, it looks good. Thanks for sharing it, Harry.
That's why I said it was an allusion to the days of physical culture and not a direct reference, but as I said it is nice to see modern day artists still be influenced by those days. By the way, what is it about anyone who practised physical culture in the late 19th and early 20th century and handlebar moustaches?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:That's why I said it was an allusion to the days of physical culture and not a direct reference, but as I said it is nice to see modern day artists still be influenced by those days. By the way, what is it about anyone who practised physical culture in the late 19th and early 20th century and handlebar moustaches?
My guess would be that it was for no other reason than the handlebar mustache was just a popular style during that era. You also saw a lot of wild west figures (lawmen/outlaws/gunfighters) sporting handlebar mustaches during that era as well.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (66.71 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
Interesting digital take on modern BBer type thrown in a blender with turn
of the century SM , although I would have made those dumbbells globies and
not dressed him in under armor jockey shorts . Looks like a piece of polymer
sculpture . For a different take on imagery/ sculpt / digital creation look up
Adam Beane . Imagine AB take on an oldtime strongman . I like images to
have some sense of movement . I don't think Alfonzo would be very good at
a bent press with his Synthol looking guns .

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:49 am

^Good call Sticks, Alfonso's arms do have a synthol look to them and don't really look aesthetic. What does look aesthetic though, and I applaud GymJunkie for it, is Alfonso's tight waist. Alfonso may have a freaky modern mass monster physique, but he doesn't have the unsightly "bubble gut" that's unfortunately far too common these days among the top bodybuilders. Even current Mr. Olympia and the supposedly "best" bodybuilder in the world Phil Heath has major issues with a "bubble gut" and seemingly little control over his waist, and caused plenty of controversy at the Olympia a couple weeks ago as a result of it.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 am

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (125.78 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Strongmen come in many shapes and sizes . Here's
my cartoon version of a couple . The "Bert Elliot" and the "Joe Greenstein" look are examples
of the modern and primitive . Kind of like the "Gordon Scott" Tarzan and the "Elmo Lincoln"
Tarzan . Artists are free to interpret strongmen in any fashion they choose . There are no good
calls or bad calls .