1938 "The War of the Worlds" Radio Broadcast by Orson Welles

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

DannyBoy

1938 "The War of the Worlds" Radio Broadcast by Orson Welles

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Tomorrow evening at 7pm EST, The 1920s Radio Network will rebroadcast the sensational October 30, 1938 radio broadcast of Orson Welles & his Mercury Theatre repertory company dramatizing H.G. Wells' novel "The War of the Worlds". This is the famous/legendary radio broadcast drama, in which the first 2/3 of the program was presented as a series of simulated news bulletins, which in turn inadvertently caused mass panic in parts of the United States due to many listeners believing they were hearing a genuine news broadcast and the Earth was really being invaded by Martians. Just goes to show how masterful of a dramatist the great Orson Welles was, and I'm looking forward to turning on my radio & listening to this tomorrow evening.

The 1920s Radio Network is local to me, but if anyone else is interested in listening to the broadcast then the station can be heard worldwide online at http://www.the1920snetwork.com/.

sticksb

Re: 1938 "The War of the Worlds" Radio Broadcast by Orson We

Post by sticksb » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:47 am

I got it on LP . Also Welles "The begatting of the President".

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:10 am

DannyBoy wrote:Tomorrow evening at 7pm EST, The 1920s Radio Network will rebroadcast the sensational October 30, 1938 radio broadcast of Orson Welles & his Mercury Theatre repertory company dramatizing H.G. Wells' novel "The War of the Worlds". This is the famous/legendary radio broadcast drama, in which the first 2/3 of the program was presented as a series of simulated news bulletins, which in turn inadvertently caused mass panic in parts of the United States due to many listeners believing they were hearing a genuine news broadcast and the Earth was really being invaded by Martians. Just goes to show how masterful of a dramatist the great Orson Welles was, and I'm looking forward to turning on my radio & listening to this tomorrow evening.

The 1920s Radio Network is local to me, but if anyone else is interested in listening to the broadcast then the station can be heard worldwide online at http://www.the1920snetwork.com/.
A very similar thing happened twenty five years ago tomorrow when the BBC screened "Ghostwatch". Although it was clearly identified as part of the BBC's "Screen One" drama presentation, it was done in the format of a live broadcast from central London and BBC Television Centre hosted by Michael Parkinson in the studio with Sarah Greene, Craig Charles and Mike Smith and at several points had a telephone number displayed on screen asking for people to phone in with ghostly sightings or to report things they had seen on the broadcast. The reaction to the broadcast was "The BBC was besieged with phone calls from irate and frightened viewers, and British tabloids and other newspapers criticised the BBC the next day for the disturbing nature of some scenes, such as Greene's final scene where she is locked in an under-stairs cupboard with the howling ghost, and Parkinson's eerie possession scene"

If you would like to watch the programme it can be viewed on YouTube

youtu.be/VFqEz_ZigU
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:28 pm

This brings to mind something personal for me. On that terrible day September 11th, i had just arrived at the college where i was working.That morning i was scheduled for clinic grand rounds so went to the clinic reception where i found everyone glued to the radio as the events unfolded.At first i was convinced that this was not really happening but something along the lines of War of the Worlds. Sadly it was true and i lost some friends that day.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:53 pm

peter yates wrote:This brings to mind something personal for me. On that terrible day September 11th, i had just arrived at the college where i was working.That morning i was scheduled for clinic grand rounds so went to the clinic reception where i found everyone glued to the radio as the events unfolded.At first i was convinced that this was not really happening but something along the lines of War of the Worlds. Sadly it was true and i lost some friends that day.
Regards,Peter.
Me too . 60th Fl. My friend Kevin Driscoll made it out down the causeway and across
the bridge only because he is a great distance runner . @ work C&E corp. watched in horror on the lunchroom
cable box ...

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:50 pm

peter yates wrote:This brings to mind something personal for me. On that terrible day September 11th, i had just arrived at the college where i was working.That morning i was scheduled for clinic grand rounds so went to the clinic reception where i found everyone glued to the radio as the events unfolded.At first i was convinced that this was not really happening but something along the lines of War of the Worlds. Sadly it was true and i lost some friends that day.
Regards,Peter.
Sorry to bring up sad memories for you Peter, and sorry for your losses that day. I think all of us in the United States who are old enough to remember know where we were & what we were doing on September 11, 2001 when we heard the terrible news about the attacks. I was at Kempsville High School in Mrs. Baldwin's history class and right before the bell rang to start the period a classmate named Tyler came in & said that planes had crashed into the World Trade Center. Mrs. Baldwin thought he was making it up of course, but he said he was serious and so she went to get a TV to bring into the classroom. Instead of having history class that day we all just sat there and watched the news as everything unfolded. I'll never forget it.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:A very similar thing happened twenty five years ago tomorrow when the BBC screened "Ghostwatch". Although it was clearly identified as part of the BBC's "Screen One" drama presentation, it was done in the format of a live broadcast from central London and BBC Television Centre hosted by Michael Parkinson in the studio with Sarah Greene, Craig Charles and Mike Smith and at several points had a telephone number displayed on screen asking for people to phone in with ghostly sightings or to report things they had seen on the broadcast. The reaction to the broadcast was "The BBC was besieged with phone calls from irate and frightened viewers, and British tabloids and other newspapers criticised the BBC the next day for the disturbing nature of some scenes, such as Greene's final scene where she is locked in an under-stairs cupboard with the howling ghost, and Parkinson's eerie possession scene"

If you would like to watch the programme it can be viewed on YouTube

youtu.be/VFqEz_ZigU
Unfortunately the video won't work for me, I imagine it's a region issue. Though thanks for the info Harry, it sounds intriguing.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:05 am

So did anybody else listen to "The War of the Worlds" broadcast on the 1920s Radio Network yesterday evening? I quite enjoyed it, I just set the radio up in my bedroom, turned off the light and laid in bed in the dark as I listened & immersed myself in the story. Orson Welles had such a magnificent (& distinctive) speaking voice.