The Journals of Henry Cardigan

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

Harry Hayfield

The Journals of Henry Cardigan

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue May 21, 2019 7:29 am

Starting today, and posting on irregular intervals, I shall be posting a series of journal entries from a young lad called Henry Cardigan, son of the Member of Parliament for Cardiganshire in Wales from the Caroline Era (the period of British history from 1625 - 1642). These journal entries will follow Henry as he becomes a man (starting in 1624, when he becomes 21 years old) and follow him for the next eighteen years.

Now, you may wonder what all this has to do with physical culture, well, the answer is, it's because Henry is about to undergo a rather remarkable change (not only in position in life, but physical as well) that will see him encounter one of the strongest men ever to live. This will cause Henry to have a sea change in his opinions on keeping well, that will create a bond of friendship that will never end.

In these journal entries, Henry will describe what he is doing to ensure that he can match with this man and therefore demonstrate that physical culture was around even before it was formally called so.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Re: The Journals of Henry Cardigan

Post by peter yates » Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks Harry, looking forward to reading them.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates