Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

DannyBoy

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:37 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day lads & lassies! I hope everyone is having a blessed day! In honor of today here's my favorite version of "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling"; a recording by the great Irish tenor John McCormack from 1916.

youtu.be/WgQCPifM-p8

Take care & God bless you all. :)

DannyBoy

Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day to the HOPC community, I hope you're all having a blessed day! :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 pm

Thanks Danny,
the same to you and the rest of the gang. Are you having a Guinness with a Jameson whiskey chaser tonight? ;)
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:03 pm

peter yates wrote:Thanks Danny,
the same to you and the rest of the gang. Are you having a Guinness with a Jameson whiskey chaser tonight? ;)
Regards,Peter.
LOL! Jameson Irish Whiskey is good stuff (so is Tullamore Dew), but I actually haven't had any in some years, and though I did have a can of Guinness out in the fridge, I didn't drink it. I didn't drink any beer (green or otherwise) or any kinda alcohol on St. Patrick's Day as a matter of fact, no partying or celebrating either, I mostly just took it easy the whole day and then later in the evening/night I watched boxing and the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi Danny,
here is a story from my days when i imbibed a little. I was working in the Isle of Man on the roof of a new house for Bill Naughton, the guy who wrote the book " Alfie." It was Saturday and we were finishing early but stayed on a bit so we could finish up. At lunch time Bill came to the site with a basket of home made bread and cheese and ham. Another basket contained several bottles of Guinness and a bottle of Jameson's whiskey. Not really sure how we got home that night but i woke next morning with my boots on. :lol: Another part to the story is that he was then 60 and was married to a lovely young french woman. He originally was going to invite us up the road to the house he was renting, but probably thought better of having several sun bronzed, randy young men anywhere near his wife,especially with some grog in them. :lol:
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:28 am

peter yates wrote:Hi Danny,
here is a story from my days when i imbibed a little. I was working in the Isle of Man on the roof of a new house for Bill Naughton, the guy who wrote the book " Alfie." It was Saturday and we were finishing early but stayed on a bit so we could finish up. At lunch time Bill came to the site with a basket of home made bread and cheese and ham. Another basket contained several bottles of Guinness and a bottle of Jameson's whiskey. Not really sure how we got home that night but i woke next morning with my boots on. :lol: Another part to the story is that he was then 60 and was married to a lovely young french woman. He originally was going to invite us up the road to the house he was renting, but probably thought better of having several sun bronzed, randy young men anywhere near his wife,especially with some grog in them. :lol:
Regards,Peter.
HA, that's great! :lol: I've never read "Alfie", but I'm familiar with the story through seeing the movie version with Michael Caine. I guess Bill Naughton probably didn't wanna chance one of you young roofers turning out to be a real life Alfie, lol. :o

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi Danny,
you know what they say,"Better safe than sorry." ;) Bill was an interesting guy, who was himself into health and fitness, he ran every day and did other calisthenic type exercises.He came from Ireland but was brought up in the town next to mine, Bolton in Lancashire and as a young man worked on the railway sidings filling bags with coal, so was handling 112lb bags of coal all day. He was always an avid reader of novels and one day thought "I can write as good as this," so started from there. Now there is a very long running soap on TV in the UK called Coronation Street.Well before this started Bill wrote a short play for the TV studio about the characters in the street he grew up in. That was the inspiration for those who went on to write the soap.He wrote many plays and books and another movie you may know "Spring and Port wine."
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:23 am

peter yates wrote:Hi Danny,
you know what they say,"Better safe than sorry." ;) Bill was an interesting guy, who was himself into health and fitness, he ran every day and did other calisthenic type exercises.He came from Ireland but was brought up in the town next to mine, Bolton in Lancashire and as a young man worked on the railway sidings filling bags with coal, so was handling 112lb bags of coal all day. He was always an avid reader of novels and one day thought "I can write as good as this," so started from there. Now there is a very long running soap on TV in the UK called Coronation Street.Well before this started Bill wrote a short play for the TV studio about the characters in the street he grew up in. That was the inspiration for those who went on to write the soap.He wrote many plays and books and another movie you may know "Spring and Port wine."
Regards,Peter.
I'm not familiar with Spring and Port Wine, but I looked it up and see James Mason starred in it. I always enjoy Mason's work and man, did he ever have one of the greatest voices in film history.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:29 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (179.03 KiB) Viewed 6034 times
Sure and begora

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:02 am

^LOL! I would imagine that a leprechaun doubling the use of his pot of gold as a chamber pot also is an excellent way for him to help keep the fortune hunters away from his lucky charms. :lol: