It's not Rheo Blairs Protein, it's the Closest I've Found

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

rodneyo777

It's not Rheo Blairs Protein, it's the Closest I've Found

Post by rodneyo777 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:25 am

Heads up for anyone who remembers Blairs and would like one that is similar....

I was so happy today, my order came in the mail. So when I tasted Magnum Nutraceuticals Quattro (Vanilla Soft Serve) today, I was thrilled. No heavy over powering flavor, no after taste. Just a nice slight vanilla flavor...

This is important to me because I have to drink 3- 4 of these drinks a day, using 2 scoops each time.

I guess I've tried them all... The last brand I had was good too, it was Syntha 6 Edge, but this one is much better.

DannyBoy

Re: It's not Rheo Blairs Protein, it's the Closest I've Foun

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:36 pm

rodneyo777 wrote:Heads up for anyone who remembers Blairs and would like one that is similar....

I was so happy today, my order came in the mail. So when I tasted Magnum Nutraceuticals Quattro (Vanilla Soft Serve) today, I was thrilled. No heavy over powering flavor, no after taste. Just a nice slight vanilla flavor...

This is important to me because I have to drink 3- 4 of these drinks a day, using 2 scoops each time.

I guess I've tried them all... The last brand I had was good too, it was Syntha 6 Edge, but this one is much better.
Rheo Blair's protein powder was something special (especially compared to what the likes of Bob Hoffman & Joe Weider were selling at the time), but with all the advancements in supplementation over the years I would imagine there's probably numerous protein powders that have since either equaled or surpassed Blair's protein powder. In any case I can't say I'm really familiar with Magnum Nutraceuticals, but if you like it and of course see results from it then that's what really matters, whether it's Blair's or not. :)

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:16 pm

That powder isn't even close to what Blair's was. And that product has a lot of garbage additives.

It's best to buy a plain, no additives, Whey Isolate Protein Powder, and add a couple of raw whole eggs, mix it in heavy cream or half and half milk, as Blair (and Vince Gironda) recommended,and take some digestive enzymes as you drink the mix. If you need favor, a drop of vanilla extract should be enough. That's as close as anyone can get to Rheo Blair's Formula today.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:55 pm

I TEND TO AGREE WITH TALBOT. KEEP IT AS SIMPLE AND NATURAL AS YOU CAN AND STAY AWAY FROM PRODUCTS CONTAINING ADDITIVES,ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING ETC. I FEEL THE BEST WAS JUST THE PLAIN MILK AND EGG PROTEIN AND THESE DAYS THE SIMPLE PLAIN WHEY AS TALBOT SUGGESTS. IN FACT THE FEWER SUPPLEMENTS THE BETTER AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED. FOR ME PASTURE RAISED EGGS AND GRASS FED BEEF PROVIDE ALL THE FIRST CLASS PROTEIN I NEED BUT FOR THOSE ON CALORIE RESTRICTION THE DRINK CAN BE A REPLACEMENT MEAL OF FOR THOSE WANTING TO GAIN WEIGHT THEN TAKEN AS AN EXTRA MEAL WITHOUT THE BULK.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Try to stay away from the one's that have added sugar, sucralose, etc... This Quattro one looks like it has those additives. BUT, also, if you like it, enjoy! I ate a package of Funny Bones on the way to work this AM.
(Fake chocolate cake w/ fake peanut butter in the middle).

I cant be handing out health advices now can I :lol:
---------
~Dave

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:47 pm

dhartnet wrote:Try to stay away from the one's that have added sugar, sucralose, etc... This Quattro one looks like it has those additives. BUT, also, if you like it, enjoy! I ate a package of Funny Bones on the way to work this AM.
(Fake chocolate cake w/ fake peanut butter in the middle).

I cant be handing out health advices now can I :lol:
NICE ONE DAVE. :lol:
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:24 pm

What was so special about this Blair protein?

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Tom K wrote:What was so special about this Blair protein?
Hi Tom. Here's a good article on Rheo Blair's protein powder that explains what made it so special (for its era):

The Secret of Rheo H. Blair's Protein Powder - Physical Culture Study

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Wasn't Blair one of the first men who sold and distributed the steroid Nilevar? Perhaps that is why so many people look back on his brand so fondly.

I live near quite a few dairy farms in the UK, so I can get raw full cream milk if I need to. Raw milk, mixed with double cream and blended up with eggs and fresh strawberries is probably the greatest protein drink you can have :D or the best tasting, anyway.

Protein powders are useful, but nothing really beats good home cooked food or fresh produce.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi Tom,
agree with you 100% there.When i visit the UK i always make sure i get milk from the farmer, up the road from my sister,whose family have been running the farm since before i was born.Real milk in glass bottles with the cream floating on top.Very difficult to get raw milk in the US, and in some states it is illegal to sell it.Only another week and i will be over there again.BTW Randy Roach goes into detail regarding Blair,Hoffman,Weider and the start of the protein and supplement industry in Muscle,smoke and mirrors,volume one.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates