What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: drob357

DannyBoy

What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:15 pm

I've seen threads like this on other forums and figured it'd make for a good, interesting addition to the 'Off Topic' section here on the HOPC forum. So.... What was the last movie you watched? Anyone who cares to participate in this thread can feel free to not only include the title of the movie, but perhaps also a brief synopsis, your opinion of the movie, a mini-review, a photo, whatever you so choose relating to the movie (preferably without spoiling the entire movie of course). Maybe you'll turn another member onto an excellent movie they've not heard of &/or seen before. :)

To start the thread off, the last movie I watched was The Hypnotic Eye from 1960. It was a pretty good little cult B-movie starring Jacques Bergerac and Allison Hayes (of Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman fame), the story involves a performing stage hypnotist who becomes suspected of causing several women to disfigure themselves. The movie was promoted as a horror movie when released, but it's probably more of a suspense thriller by today's standards. It had somewhat the feel of a William Castle horror movie of the era, if you're familiar with his work, and even used a gimmick known as "HypnoMagic" similarly to how then recent Castle movies had used special gimmicks around that time in order to help attract audiences (e.g. House on Haunted Hill & The Tingler). The Hypnotic Eye included some very good special effects makeup by Emile LaVigne and I have to say brought an air of legitimacy to the hypnosis aspect with Gil Boyne having been used as a technical advisor for the film (Boyne was a pioneer in modern hypnotherapy).

The Hypnotic Eye (1960) - IMDb

Harry Hayfield

Re: What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:50 am

Ah, now if you had asked me this question before Christmas I would have to reply "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" from 1959 (which I have on a DVD), prior to the New Year it would have been "Mysterious Island" from 1961 when that was shown over Christmas. Now, the answer would be "Dr. Dolittle" from 1998 as my aunt (who lives with us) wanted to watch the movie channels and has offered to pay the monthly subscription charge. This means that the answer will now depend on the day so the next film I will be watching will be "Dr. Dolittle 2" from 2001 on Thursday, followed by "Dr. Dolittle 3" from 2006 on Friday and then I will look at the schedules to see what takes my fancy.

For reference, these are the channels that show movies I have access to: Sky Cinema (Premiere, Valentine, Greats, Disney, Family, Action, Comedy, Thriller, Hits, Sci-Fi/Horror, Select), Film 4, Turner Classic Movies, Horror, True Movies, Sony Movies, movies4men, Movies 24, Nollywood, Talking Pictures and ROK
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:06 am

Enemy at the Gate. I watch, on average, a movie a day. I've probably a 100 DVD's but most of my film viewing is now online (inc Youtube which has a good few old classics).

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Only two in the past week, one at the cinema and one on VHS (for a while I dealt in old VHS cassettes and kept a couple);

Trainspotting 2 at the cinema. Not as good/powerful as the original, but notable for getting all of the cast back together 20 years on. I was 18 when the original came out, so there were a lot of parallels re: paths taken/not taken, things unsaid/undone.

High Fidelity on VHS. Not nearly as good as I remember it, but still a good exercise in character driven movie making. John Cusack owns a record store and breaks the fourth wall to tell us his 'top fives'.

On a side note I love Mysterious Island with Michael Craig as I am a fan of his in general.

Richie.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:Ah, now if you had asked me this question before Christmas I would have to reply "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" from 1959 (which I have on a DVD), prior to the New Year it would have been "Mysterious Island" from 1961 when that was shown over Christmas. Now, the answer would be "Dr. Dolittle" from 1998 as my aunt (who lives with us) wanted to watch the movie channels and has offered to pay the monthly subscription charge. This means that the answer will now depend on the day so the next film I will be watching will be "Dr. Dolittle 2" from 2001 on Thursday, followed by "Dr. Dolittle 3" from 2006 on Friday and then I will look at the schedules to see what takes my fancy.

For reference, these are the channels that show movies I have access to: Sky Cinema (Premiere, Valentine, Greats, Disney, Family, Action, Comedy, Thriller, Hits, Sci-Fi/Horror, Select), Film 4, Turner Classic Movies, Horror, True Movies, Sony Movies, movies4men, Movies 24, Nollywood, Talking Pictures and ROK
Very kind of your aunt, Harry! Enjoy!

I haven't seen that version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I've seen the 1954 version starring Kirk Douglas, Peter Lorre, James Mason & Paul Lukas. Great movie. I have seen that '61 version of Mysterious Island with Herbert Lom & Michael Craig, very good movie. There was another similar Captain Nemo movie released in 1969 titled Captain Nemo and the Underwater City and starring Robert Ryan & Chuck Connors. It really wasn't as good as the previous two movies, but it's worth checking out if you're a fan of Jules Verne &/or his character Captain Nemo.

I saw that remake of Dr. Dolittle with Eddie Murphy years ago when I was a kid and remember enjoying it. I believe I saw Dr. Dolittle 2 as well, but I know I haven't seen any of the other sequels.
Mobster wrote:Enemy at the Gate. I watch, on average, a movie a day. I've probably a 100 DVD's but most of my film viewing is now online (inc Youtube which has a good few old classics).
That's quite a collection of DVDs Steve. You're definitely right about YouTube having a good few old classics, and there's quite a few hard to find cult movies & such on there as well.
Internalfitness wrote:Only two in the past week, one at the cinema and one on VHS (for a while I dealt in old VHS cassettes and kept a couple);

Trainspotting 2 at the cinema. Not as good/powerful as the original, but notable for getting all of the cast back together 20 years on. I was 18 when the original came out, so there were a lot of parallels re: paths taken/not taken, things unsaid/undone.

High Fidelity on VHS. Not nearly as good as I remember it, but still a good exercise in character driven movie making. John Cusack owns a record store and breaks the fourth wall to tell us his 'top fives'.

On a side note I love Mysterious Island with Michael Craig as I am a fan of his in general.

Richie.
I didn't even realize T2 Trainspotting 2 had been released yet. The first one was great, so I'll definitely check out the sequel at some point.

I've always really liked John Cusak, especially his 1980s stuff.

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:08 am

Some what annoyingly I've a fair collection of VHS Bodybuilding videos (down here in the office). Apart from some I brought a good deal were sent to me in my role as editor/publisher of Muscle Mob. I brought a 2nd hand player when I moved here but that conked out fairly quickly. It's on the list of things I wanna buy just for the tapes. But it's a long list and it ain't near the top lol.

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:22 am

There is, of course, a list of our 'top 10'.

On mine, a little gem I think, I include 'Leon' directed by Luc Bresson (aka 'The Professional'). I've the special edition. I'd also include Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile (both based on stories by Stephen King). Films I've watched a few times and still enjoyed include Aliens (the 2nd in the series) and The Abyss. Maybe Terminator 2 and the Resident Evil movies (not classics by any stretch just pure escapism).

One thing I noticed as I got older was that I started liking films by the same director etc. So Ridley Scott, James Cameron, Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy) and, as above, Luc Bresson (I also liked his 'The Fifth Element').

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:46 am

Sorry Danny, you're right. It was made in 1954 (I was getting it confused with the 1959 film of Journey to the Centre of the Earth) and I call myself a Vernian!

Of the ones I have seen so far on my movie channels, the following have certainly been very impressive (in terms of story, actors or just sets). Masters of the Universe (1987), Hercules (1959), Hercules Unchained (1961), Hercules Returns (1993) and Inside Out (2016)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Mobster wrote:Some what annoyingly I've a fair collection of VHS Bodybuilding videos (down here in the office). Apart from some I brought a good deal were sent to me in my role as editor/publisher of Muscle Mob. I brought a 2nd hand player when I moved here but that conked out fairly quickly. It's on the list of things I wanna buy just for the tapes. But it's a long list and it ain't near the top lol.
I still have my VHS player and a pretty decent sized collection of VHS videotapes. Back when I was younger and before VHS became obsolete I use to regularly record movies off of premium movie channels HBO and Cinemax, all of which I still have, plus I also have a few videotapes of movies my dad recorded way back in the 1980s. My parents use regularly buy me pro wrestling pay-per-views when I was a kid/teenager and I'd always record them too, so I have a bunch of PPVs from the late 90s & early 00s on VHS as well (mostly WWE). What I don't still have is one of those VHS rewinders, which are quite convenient....

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:Sorry Danny, you're right. It was made in 1954 (I was getting it confused with the 1959 film of Journey to the Centre of the Earth) and I call myself a Vernian!

Of the ones I have seen so far on my movie channels, the following have certainly been very impressive (in terms of story, actors or just sets). Masters of the Universe (1987), Hercules (1959), Hercules Unchained (1961), Hercules Returns (1993) and Inside Out (2016)
Good stuff Harry, though I'm not familiar with Hercules Returns. I'm gonna have to look that one up. :)