What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: drob357

sticksb

Re: What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Post by sticksb » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm

DannyBoy wrote:
sticksb wrote:Loved " Bite the Bullet" . One of the essential Hackman films ...
To be honest, I wasn't even familiar with Bite the Bullet until I saw it listed on the cable guide and just decided to watch it. Glad I did though, I enjoyed it and Gene Hackman was a great as usual. After reading about the film it's interesting to note that Hackman was cast after Charles Bronson turned down the lead role. Probably for the better as I don't know that Bronson would've been as sympathetic in the role as Hackman was.
Hackman gave it an extra dimension . The understated performance in "Hoosiers" is an example of his quite strength and decency . When Gene is at the bar (in B t B) and the tough guy insults the little Mexican , Hackman replies "My pappy was Mexican and I never found a greasy spot on him" , to deliver his point

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 am

^Good point Sticks, I can't disagree with you there.

----------

Gold of the Seven Saints (1961) starring Clint Walker, Roger Moore, Chill Wills, Gene Evans, Robert Middleton & Letícia Román. Two trappers fight to protect their gold from an outlaw gang and Mexican bandits. Gold of the Seven Saints is a western shot in black & white. The film has some pretty good action at times and certainly some beautiful vistas, as it was shot in and around Arches National Park in Utah. Clint Walker & Roger Moore were really enjoyable as partners/buddies and they had good chemistry together, and are really what makes this movie. Overall Gold of the Seven Saints is a pretty good, if not just above average western, that's mostly worth checking if you're a fan of Walker &/or Moore (of which I am).

Gold of the Seven Saints (1961) - IMDb

The Great Bank Robbery (1969) starring Zero Mostel, Kim Novak, Clint Walker, Claude Akins, Akim Tamiroff, Larry Storch, John Anderson, Sam Jaffe, Mako & Elisha Cook. Three separate groups plan to rob a top-security bank on July 4th in the town of Friendly, Texas, circa 1880. The Great Bank Robbery is western comedy from Warner Bros. Pictures. The cast assembled for the film is great, Clint Walker & Claude Akins particularly play their parts well and Zero Mostel is quite funny at times, but the film falls a bit flat as a comedy. It's not as funny or amusing as it seemingly should be given the people involved & some of the silly situations presented, but perhaps it's a matter of taste with this film. Overall I found The Great Bank Robbery to be an enjoyable, but average comedy film.

The Great Bank Robbery (1969) - IMDb

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Send Me No Flowers (1964) starring Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Tony Randall, Clint Walker, Paul Lynde & Edward Andrews. When a hypochondriac mistakenly comes to believe he's dying, him and his best friend try to find a suitable next husband for his wife. Send Me No Flowers is a comedy film and the third & final film Rock Hudson, Doris Day & Tony Randall starred in together. Hudson & Day of course had great chemistry together and made for a wonderful on-screen couple and the film's plot is a farcical situation which brings the hilarity. The highlight of the film is Tony Randall though, whose character seems to take the news that his friend Hudson is dying harder than Hudson himself and begins drinking a lot, which leads to a number of genuinely funny moments. Send Me No Flowers is a very good comedy, and quite simply a fun & enjoyable film to watch.

Send Me No Flowers (1964) - IMDb

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am

Disraeli (1929) starring George Arliss, Florence Arliss, Joan Bennett, Doris Lloyd & Anthony Bushell. Cunning British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli outmaneuvers the subterfuge of the Russians and chicanery at home in order to secure the purchase of the Suez Canal. Disraeli is a historical drama specifically focusing on the time early in Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli's second term in the mid 1870s when he was trying to purchase the Suez Canal for Great Britain, though it seems to be a fictionalized account rather than factual. George Arliss reprises the role of Disraeli which he had famously played on the stage and in a 1921 silent film, and this time the role would win him the Academy Award for Best Actor. So of course George Arliss is excellent as Benjamin Disraeli, playing the part with real conviction and is undoubtedly the focal point. Though also of note is George's real life wife Florence Arliss who gives a fine performance as Disraeli's wife, Lady Beaconsfield, and also there's a young Joan Bennett in one of her early roles who gives a pretty nice performance. Disraeli is somewhat stagy & dated, but certainly an effective vehicle for George Arliss who shines in the title role and makes the film an entertaining one.

Disraeli (1929) - IMDb

Alexander Hamilton (1931) starring George Arliss, Doris Kenyon, Dudley Diggs, Lionel Belmore, Montagu Love, Morgan Wallace & Alan Mowbray. As Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton fights to pass the "Assumption Bill" he becomes a victim of blackmail and embroiled in a scandal which may greatly affect his political career & personal life. Alexander Hamilton is a historical drama focusing on one crucial period in the political & personal life of the American patriot during the early 1790s, so there's nothing here concerning the famous duel between Alexander Hamilton & Aaron Burr which led to Hamilton's death in 1804. The historical accuracy of the film is definitely off and George Arliss was 25 years or so too old to be portraying Hamilton, but I suppose that's easy enough to overlook due to the excellent & patriotic performance Arliss gives in the role. Beyond Arliss, special note should made of Alan Mowbray who was particularly effective as George Washington. Alexander Hamilton may fail at historical accuracy, but it succeeds in doing what it was designed to do, showcase the acting talent of George Arliss, and despite much of the liveliness of the real Alexander Hamilton's life missing, the film is still an enjoyable one.

Alexander Hamilton (1931) - IMDb

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Pioneer Justice (1947) starring Lash LaRue, Al St. John, Jennifer Holt, William Fawcett & Jack Ingram. Marshall Cheyenne Davis and his partner Fuzzy Jones arrive in the frontier town of Buffalo Gap and help a ranch owner to protect her ranch from a gang of outlaws who wish to steal it for their mysterious leader. Pioneer Justice is a B-western from Poverty Row studio Producers Releasing Corporation (PRC). I've been familiar with western movie star Lash LaRue for years, but this is the first film of his I've seen and I enjoyed it and have to say Lash really stands out among other cowboy heroes of the era due to his dressing in all black, his speaking with a kind of "city tough-guy" accent, and of course his use of an 18ft bullwhip which he was exceptionally skill with. The film itself is a typical B-western with a fast pace and plenty of action & gunplay. All in all, Pioneer Justice is an entertaining little B-western with a believably tough & rugged cowboy star in Lash LaRue, who's also pretty unique among the many western movie stars of the time.

Pioneer Justice (1947) - IMDb

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:25 am

Million Dollar Legs (1932) starring W.C. Fields, Jack Oakie, Susan Fleming, Hugh Herbert, Lyda Roberti, Andy Clyde & Ben Turpin. A small European country is on the verge of bankruptcy and is persuaded to enter the 1932 Olympic Games in Los Angeles as a means of raising money. Million Dollar Legs is a pre-Code comedy from Paramount Pictures and the film that jumpstarted the movie career of W.C. Fields. It's a wacky little comedy full of silly situations set in the fictional European country of Klopstokia. W.C. Fields is fantastic as the country's president who maintains power through his great strength and winning armwrestling matches & the like over a cabinet conspiring to overthrow him, and he also acts as the Olympic team's weightlifter and comically tosses a 1,000lb weight like a shotput. Jack Oakie & Hugh Herbert are pretty funny as well. Million Dollar Legs is an underrated gem of a comedy, it's silly (in a good way) and very amusing.

Million Dollar Legs (1932) - IMDb

My Little Chickadee (1940) starring Mae West, W.C. Fields, Joseph Calleia, Dick Foran, Margaret Hamilton & Fuzzy Knight. A small-town seductress is run out of town for illicit relations with a masked bandit, after which she pretends to marry a con man for respectability and they proceed to engage in a series of shenanigans. My Little Chickadee comedy-western with a screenplay credited to the stars Mae West & W.C. Fields. West is her usual saucy, seductive self and Fields his usual comical, braggadocious self, and even though off-screen West & Fields disliked each other and didn't get along, on-screen they have great chemistry and work well together. Margaret Hamilton adds some funny support as the town gossip & busybody. My Little Chickadee is a very amusing and fun comedy film that's success is due in no small part to the memorable pairing of West & Fields.

My Little Chickadee (1940) - IMDb

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:21 am

Re: Clint Walker - I was delighted to see he is still with us and looking fine at 90. Always my go to for actors in the Dirty Dozen along with John Cassavetes (still comes up in quizzes quite often). To me a good example of proportion over definition. For a while I used to confuse him with Mike Henry - another fine figure in his day.

Richie
dirty-dozen-2.png
dirty-dozen-2.png (364.11 KiB) Viewed 9810 times

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Internalfitness wrote:Re: Clint Walker - I was delighted to see he is still with us and looking fine at 90. Always my go to for actors in the Dirty Dozen along with John Cassavetes (still comes up in quizzes quite often). To me a good example of proportion over definition. For a while I used to confuse him with Mike Henry - another fine figure in his day.

Richie
dirty-dozen-2.png
The Dirty Dozen was probably the first movie I ever saw Clint Walker in and that photo illustrates just how big he was, because he makes Jim Brown look on the smaller side and Jim wasn't a small man.

Cool story; my dad ran into Clint Walker once, literally. My dad was in the army in the early 1970s and stationed at Fort Knox in Louisville, Kentucky. He was walking down the street one day in Louisville and started looking across to the other side at a commotion going because Muhammad Ali was across the street, and not paying he runs right into someone who turned out to be Clint Walker. He looks up, recognizes him and exclaims "Cheyenne Bodie" (the character from the TV series Cheyenne that made Clint famous). Clint took my dad into a nearby diner/cafe, bought him a cup of coffee & talked to him a little bit, and my dad says he was very nice. Besides the fact it happened to my own dad, I always like hearing nice stories like that about celebrities, especially those I'm a fan of.

Also, now that you mention it Richie, I can see a resemblance between Clint Walker & Mike Henry. It's funny you should bring up Henry, he of course played Tarzan in some movies and while Clint Walker never officially played Tarzan, Clint's first ever screen role was as a Tarzan-like character in the Bowery Boys movie Jungle Gents in 1954.

youtu.be/M45v4FTKhsM

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:55 pm

^And speaking of Clint Walker, I watched another film featuring him.

Sam Whiskey (1969) starring Burt Reynolds, Clint Walker, Ossie Davis & Angie Dickinson. A beautiful widow enlists the help of rogue Sam Whiskey to retrieve gold from a sunken riverboat that her late husband stole and then secretly place it back in the Denver Mint before it's discovered to be missing. Sam Whiskey is a comedy-western with a sort of reverse heist theme and featuring one of the first major starring roles for Burt Reynolds. Reynolds plays the title character, a likeable rogue, who along with blacksmith Ossie Davis and inventor Clint Walker, make for a pretty amusing trio and have good chemistry together. While some of the antics are humorous and the film has its moments, as a comedy it's a bit lackluster. Sam Whiskey has a certain charm to it and is decently entertaining, but it's not as good as it seemingly could have been.

Sam Whiskey (1969) - IMDb

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 am

The Lone Hand (1953) starring Joel McCrea, Jimmy Hunt, Barbara Hale, Charles Drake, Alex Nicol & James Arness. Widowed farmer Zachary Hallock and his son come to the town of Timberline to start a new, later Hallock seemingly joins a gang of outlaws to solve his money issues, but is that his true motive? The Lone Hand is a Technicolor western from Universal Pictures. The film comes from the era when star Joel McCrea was almost exclusively making westerns and compared to some of the others he made this one doesn't quite stand out, but is still well done. The story is pretty interesting with a nice twist, the cast are all sufficiently good, and there is some very nice Technicolor cinematography that captures the beautiful landscapes splendidly. All in all, The Lone Hand is a pretty decent western, but not McCrea's best and may be of interest mostly to those who're fans of Joel McCrea (of which I am).

The Lone Hand (1953) - IMDb