Modern Grippers

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

Mobster

Modern Grippers

Post by Mobster » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:55 pm

The true reference for the history is, for now, the sections of David Horne's Gripopedia on what we think of as crush grippers (David Horne's Vulcan is just outside my remit). It covers, as much anyone can, the history from when grippers that we'd recognize came to be. This is merely my insight and opinion on the more modern brands and then on the kind that us grip focused guys would use.

RB Grippers - made by Robert Baraban

Heavy Grips - I forget the name of the owner (lovely fella mind). If you go to the website now the people you deal with are, I think, drop shipping agents (he may have sold it to them). The idea from the get go was to sell these far and wide (loads of sellers on eBay for example) using other companies. The 300, 350 and later (limited edition) HG400 and HG500 were good hard to close grippers. This brand also came with a little chrome on the handles and a gloss finish (paint?) to the spring.

Ironmind - the mark in the sand for others to emulate. Not only because of the finish and their history but also because, among the strength fraternity, you knew that closing a '3', '3.5' or a '4' was something special. The most recognized of hard core grippers.

GHP aka Gillingham High Performance - by Wade Gillingham. Like many such companies there scheme for certifying (or adding a name to the top performers list is in GHP) is a way for athletes to make a name for themselves and, of course, publicize their product. GHP grippers differ a little by having finger marked knurling on one hand and a thumb pad knurl on the other. On other brands both sides are the same.

Warren Tetting - no longer, as far as I know, in production. However, Warren is or was THE man who made a proper v-shaped TSG (Torsion Spring Grippers). Early Ironmind grippers were made by Warren (inc the ones with no knurl on them). These were very much a tool. No chrome or polish. People would even complain about how deep the knurling was as it could be uncomfortable). Warren also made a few that were never meant to be closed. I've one on my desk which looks the spring should be under a bonnet of a car and not on a hand gripper. Like a few of the rare RB Grippers they were meant purely as collectors items and also, I suspect, a case of 'lets see how crazy I can go'.

Silvis - they make a TSG gripper in which you can adjust the length (and thus leverage) of the handle.

Cannon Power Works - A seller of many brands and used grippers. Their own brand (CPW) is, in fact, made for them by Robert.

Silarukov. A Russian brand. In eastern Europe and in the Russian states you have what they call 'arm lifting' competitions (probably lost in translation) which are recognizable grip strength events. This brand is THE brand in that neck of the woods and makes some fine grip toys including so-called Blob replicas and Inch type dumbbells
Iron Grip.

One of the best places to look at how much they vary, by virtue of him being one crazy collector, is Joe Musslewhite's page on facebook. Joe is, if he's not there already, closing in on 1000 grippers.

sticksb

Re: Modern Grippers

Post by sticksb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:50 pm

IMG (4).jpg
IMG (4).jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 8827 times
Aussie grip & arm wrestling company " ironarm.net".
Also the "Python gripper"
"Chimpanzee"

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Seems like that and the Phythongrip.com domains have died.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Great post Steve, thanks for all the gripper info! I wasn't even familiar with Silvis, Cannon Power Works or Silarukov.
Mobster wrote:Seems like that and the Phythongrip.com domains have died.
Wasn't PythonGrip the company that made those huge/thick power twisters?

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi Steve,
thanks for the great information and breakdown of the grippers that have been and are being used.You mention the Vulcan from David Horne who has produced some interesting and useful grip equipment. For me, being someone who is not competing or out to break any records,this has been the ideal gripper to build hand and grip strength which is my purpose.I tried many types over the years but as soon as i got the Vulcan i knew this was the one for me.I do occasionally play with my other grippers but that is what i train with and it will in my case be all i will ever need.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:15 am

Ditto. If it had an ad-line it'd be 'this one gripper replaces 20!'.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:56 pm

So true Steve.I also like the way you can micro load the Vulcan with rubber bands and even use just the bands for rehab,very versatile. Another feature i like is the feeling is the same in either hand something the other type of gripper cannot achieve.Happy gripping.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:41 pm

peter yates wrote:So true Steve.I also like the way you can micro load the Vulcan with rubber bands and even use just the bands for rehab,very versatile. Another feature i like is the feeling is the same in either hand something the other type of gripper cannot achieve.Happy gripping.
Regards,Peter.

I've done the rubber band micro-load thing to go from L18 to a L21 PB

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:42 pm

I really need to get a Vulcan Hand Gripper (& the Thumbscrews too) one of these days. I've heard nothing but great things about the gripper and it just looks like an awesome grip training tool.

Steve, do you or have you ever used the "Tombstone" from David Horne?

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:04 am

No. I have, brought for me by members of Mick Hart's board, an Adjustable pinch. Unlike most it's got a 1-inch diameter pin.