PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

This is the place for general chat and discussing topics unrelated to Physical Culture and its history.

Moderator: DannyBoy

David Gentle

Re: PASSING OF A ROCK AND ROLL ICON

Post by David Gentle » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 am

Not a musician, but cetainly a rock and roller, often chuck (no pun intended) out man when we did gigs was my old mate Nail Bender Benny Read who has just died age 86, Ben bent over 40,000 nails in his time and held 4 world records recognised by Guinness book of records. he was one touch cookie. sad loss to me, i am running out of mates to chew the fat with now. David Gentle. My favourite Pressley number was One Night With You as when we played it, the young ladies used to often gradually slip off the odd jumper or two, so we played about 20 verses intead of the usual 4.hope the wife doesnt read this. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am

OH forgot to mention, just back from wrestlers relunion and re met up with Earle Maynard, former mr universe, top wrester, where he got a top award at the do, and also bad man in movies, we had a ball and hope to have a few pix. Earle was his usual charming self wearing more gold than "gold finger" himself. He lives in Barbados, has three homes and his personal home is called "OSCAR" after Oscar Heidenstam who always placed Earle high despite the then sometimes colour preduces, now luckily long gone. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:35 pm

David Gentle wrote:OH forgot to mention, just back from wrestlers relunion and re met up with Earle Maynard, former mr universe, top wrester, where he got a top award at the do, and also bad man in movies, we had a ball and hope to have a few pix. Earle was his usual charming self wearing more gold than "gold finger" himself. He lives in Barbados, has three homes and his personal home is called "OSCAR" after Oscar Heidenstam who always placed Earle high despite the then sometimes colour preduces, now luckily long gone. David Gentle
Hi David, Any chance of a bit of a write up about the reunion and especially Earle?
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:40 pm

will try to do a brief write up re the wrestling especially as EArle Maynard was there, just a point about wrestling, as many will h ave discovered its back on the t.v. and EVERY real wrestler at the reunion HATED THE PROGRAM WITH A VENOM. We all said it was crap and a bunch of clowns, the ring was rigged like a bouncy castle and i doubt if you saw half a dozen real wrestling hold the whole program, hence we all predict it willfold, but to give balance, todays audience are a new set of fans, believe in spider man, cant do joined up writing and have phones attatched to their ears 23 hours a day, so who knows what will happen? yes i am a grumpy old sod when i want to be. DAvid Gentle wrestling with a danish pastry.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi David, i am assuming you mean back on TV in the UK? I did not know this but glad i didn't, as i would like to remember wrestling in the days of Kent Walton on Saturday afternoons. The Royal brothers, George Kid, Earle Maynard, Spencer Churchill, Jackie Pallow, Johnny Kwango, Adrian Street and so many others Kept me well entertained every week. No wonder they are fuming to see what a farce it has now become.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Roy Clark left us on the 15th . If it had strings on it Roy could pick
pluck or tap it . The EVH of country music . Technically brilliant
his playing always had heart & soul . RIP Roy

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Sorry to hear this, a country music legend and he sure could pick.RIP Roy.
Peter Yates