TRAINING LOG FORUM 2016

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: sticksb

Re: TRAINING LOG FORUM 2016

Postby peter yates » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:40 pm

colinkbell wrote:Update: completely lost interest in lifting recently. A few weeks ago walked into my shed and had no fire whatsoever. Not like me at all. But i was itching to try running in the forests nearby, so put on trainers and headed out! And thoroughly enjoyed it even though it was more walking than running lol. So this is my new Physical interest right now. But what i will do also is throw in some full body weights. I had always fancied doing the old York programs. So i will start no 1 this week, even if it is twice per week only, not thrice. Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi Colin, like Steve says physical culture is not just about lifting weights. My mentor always told me to first know your purpose.So taking Steve for example, and his quest to win the upcoming grip contest,knowing what he wanted to achieve on the day has determined how he has programmed his training for the result needed.If he had changed his training every week or so he would not be in the running but as it is he is in line for a top spot. Now what about those of us who are not competing but whose purpose is to be all round strong,fit,healthy and HAPPY. Well we still need some sort of programming but it can be much less structured and we can work on one thing for a while and then change to something else.The main thing is that we remain active and engage in training that is challenging yet most of all ENJOYABLE.If we get to the point when a certain method of training has become a chore there is no point in forcing the issue. We have so many ways to get the job done. The point i realized i would never be a champion bodybuilder or lifter was very freeing as it gave me many more options and and enabled me to participate in activities that had i been more gifted i would probably had to ignore.Don't get me wrong, for the guy who has the potential or has not reached the point when he knows that is probably it, a structured program is the way to go. If you can squat 250lb and you want 400 then you have to have a clear plan how that is going to happen and stick with it.Otherwise anyone who has been in the game for some time has earned the right to do whatever takes their fancy.Over the years i would often,due to the good fortune of being with a certain master focus entirely on martial arts.During this time i did a lot of body weight training, rope climbing and hill sprints.I rarely lost any strength or muscle and in fact i think those breaks were good for my joints and connective tissue repair. Just a couple of ideas for your woods runs that might interest you.Set up a chinning bar on your route,preferably at the top of a hill.You can then run up the hill and knock off a few pull ups and push ups.If possible you could even set up a climbing rope.Another idea would be to have several rocks of various sizes hidden along the trail so you can stop and lift,throw and carry them. You get the idea just make it hard but FUN.Keep us up to date and above all ENJOY what you are doing and change it when you do not.This is lifetime stuff.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Mobster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 am

Monday
Last leg session. Everything 2/3rds of what it has been deliberately. Balls out risks injury.
L/Press
to 510-kilos x 8 reps

P/Squat Machine
to 320-kilos x 8 reps

S/L/Curls
to stack x 12 reps

L/Ext
to stack x 12 reps
Mobster

Postby Mobster » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Wednesday
Last session of any kind before the competition with the exception of loosening up / stretching.
W/Curls
Reverse to 17.5-kilos x 3 x 8 reps
Forward to 27.5-kilos x 8 reps (did a bunch at 22.5-kilos)

Nice little pump.
Mobster

Postby peter yates » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi Steve, i guess you are as ready as you will ever be and apart from a few sleepless nights and a lousy cold or two you have been able to keep your training on track.Now all you need to do is WIN. We will all be rooting for you mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Mobster » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks Peter. I'm stiff as hell as was proved by my stretching session today.

A lesson learned
I saw today on Facebook one of my would-be competitors was hoping to see a new record on the one hand pinch for max. I had to point out we weren't doing that event. God only knows how long he'd been training the lift.

Having pointed out his error I also passed comment about his not being the first. Alan Radley arrived (with me) to a comp in Stafford and argued the rules. For twenty minutes. It was embarrassing. Alan is, I think, high on the autistic scale. I ended up telling him off saying not only had he had the rules (sent by me) for weeks it was a bit late to debate it with the ref and promoter on the day.

Another, Gabriel Sum (best German gripper guy at the time) made the error of only training one hand for a two handed event. I said even if it was a one handed event he could have had an accident etc.

Finally, as I'm not immune, I once completely ran out of steam at a Euros. Had I had any energy I'd have been able to get my head around the rules for a bending event. The eventual winner tried to tell me but... no. So instead of a 2nd place spot I got 4th ha ha
Mobster

Postby peter yates » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi Steve,
well the more mistakes your opponents make the better it is for you. Seriously looking at your preparation over the past several months you have done about as much as you could. We can always look back and see were we could have done better and there will always be some glitches in training or recuperation,but you seem good to go.So nothing more to say except do your best and we are all behind you.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Mobster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Two weeks ago David Hprne said 'I may not be as strong as I once was but technically I'm as good as I can be'. Us old 'uns just make less errors :D

Today I did my contest paperwork. I wrote out my game plan for the day. I write out a bad days efforts (as in poor sleep, iffy belly and just not feeling great). Then an OK day (so numbers as planned, enough to do well). Finally I write out great numbers (the planets align and I'm in an ass kicking mood). On the max effort lifts I'll also include the 4 efforts plus notes. So tips to remember then openers etc etc
Mobster

Postby peter yates » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi Steve, yes experience makes a difference.I have seen it myself in sparring with younger,bigger and physically stronger guys. They become overconfident and make mistakes that this willy old fox takes advantage of. I am also usually mentally stronger than they are and can psyche them out especially when i seem to disappear in front of their eyes and i am then kicking them in the backside. :lol: Once again good luck mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 pm

IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 113 times
YES !!!
sticksb

Postby DannyBoy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:03 pm

^Love it, Sticks! 8-)

Mobster wrote:Two weeks ago David Hprne said 'I may not be as strong as I once was but technically I'm as good as I can be'. Us old 'uns just make less errors :D

Today I did my contest paperwork. I wrote out my game plan for the day. I write out a bad days efforts (as in poor sleep, iffy belly and just not feeling great). Then an OK day (so numbers as planned, enough to do well). Finally I write out great numbers (the planets align and I'm in an ass kicking mood). On the max effort lifts I'll also include the 4 efforts plus notes. So tips to remember then openers etc etc

Sounds good Steve. I wish you much good fortune in the grip competition and I know we're all rooting for you! :)
DannyBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Weight Training