TRAINING LOG 2018

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

Mobster

Re: TRAINING LOG 2018

Post by Mobster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:35 am

DannyBoy wrote:
Mobster wrote:Thursday
Laine est arrive. But did not lift lol. Still, in spite of various niggles, weighs 304lbs (21st 10 in Imperial).

As with yesterdays I tweaked everything down in lieu of the week off and the cough etc I've been fighting
Close Grip Bench
to 140-kilos x 4 x 1 reps (first not as good as the last)

Iso Pulldowns
to 60-kilos x 8 reps

DOTBDLTL (Laine watching)
to 180-kilo x 3 x 3 reps (lower back spasm after food once or twice)

Adj Thick Bar
to
LH: 130-kilos x 2 x 3 reps
RH: 140-kilos x 2 x 3 reps

Loaded Millennium Dumbbell in Laine's car then off for two mixed grills. His didn't touch the sides (hence being 3014lbs ha ha). It was my turn as he'd paid for a couple of Chinese buffets back in the day
Good times, huh Steve. :)

So is Laine transporting the Millenium Dumbbell to the guy you sold it to? Anyway, I hope he's doing well and it wasn't an injury that kept him from training and I hope you're starting to feel better. Even when not 100%, your lifts still beat the heck outta mine, lol.
He said he'd trained the day before but there was mention of an upcoming joint op. Yeah the DB will be sent along with his replica to Dubai.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:10 am

A.M. Shoveled snow 1 hour ( 27 below ) murder
P.M.Bench Press 2 x 10 225#
Gin wheel pulldown 2 x 10 175#
Dumbbell Press 2 x 10 60s
Dumbbell Row 3 x 10 75#
Gin wheel pushdown 2 X 12
Concentration Curl 1 x 12 ea. 40#
Pinch & hold 40# plate / 4 way neck / rope tuck (Gin wheel) DB front/side raises 2 x 6/6 20#

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Good snow work and training Chris! No training for me as I'm down with a nasty cold. Thankfully it's not a flu, but enough to stop me. My wife has had an even worse one, and this morning I found her collapsed on floor! She blew her nose hard, her ear popped, then the room span on her. Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:47 am

sticksb wrote:A.M. Shoveled snow 1 hour ( 27 below ) murder
P.M.Bench Press 2 x 10 225#
Gin wheel pulldown 2 x 10 175#
Dumbbell Press 2 x 10 60s
Dumbbell Row 3 x 10 75#
Gin wheel pushdown 2 X 12
Concentration Curl 1 x 12 ea. 40#
Pinch & hold 40# plate / 4 way neck / rope tuck (Gin wheel) DB front/side raises 2 x 6/6 20#
Brutal temperature. Not as bad as the temperature there, but I was told the temperature here in Virginia Beach reached 0, and to my memory that's the lowest I've seen it here or I've experienced. This wasn't the worst snowfall we've gotten here, but bad enough to cause problems in this area. I got a good workout from the snow shoveling, but most of all I'm safe & warm as is my family, praise God, and that's what matters. Stay safe & warm, Sticks. :)
colinkbell wrote:Good snow work and training Chris! No training for me as I'm down with a nasty cold. Thankfully it's not a flu, but enough to stop me. My wife has had an even worse one, and this morning I found her collapsed on floor! She blew her nose hard, her ear popped, then the room span on her. Colin.
Wow, I certainly hope your wife is alright and I hope the both of you feel much better soon. Take care, Colin. :)

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 am

Sunday
Two Hand Pinch
Back stiff with occasional spasms. My form on the pinch was 100% and thus ok.
to 105.70-kilos x 5 x 1 (of 6)

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Monday
Back still stiff so a little stretching beforehand. Still taking a session to ease back in after the week off
Iso Press
to70-kilos x 6 reps

Hammer DB Curls
to 70-kilos x 8 reps

TPD
to 15p x 10 reps

Wrist Curls
to
F: 35-kilos x 8 reps
R 22.5-kilos x 8 reps

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:00 pm

colinkbell wrote:Good snow work and training Chris! No training for me as I'm down with a nasty cold. Thankfully it's not a flu, but enough to stop me. My wife has had an even worse one, and this morning I found her collapsed on floor! She blew her nose hard, her ear popped, then the room span on her. Colin.
Hey Colin,
i do hope you and your wife are feeling better. May i make a suggestion and this is for everyone of course.Go to Amazon and buy the book "Instant Immunity" by Richard Anderson. A great little book for a few bucks, and also in kindle, that has some great tips for building immunity and dealing with helping to shorten the misery of colds and flu. All easy to obtain natural remedies, but it is the synergy of the protocol that delivers the punch. I know Richard very well and he is one of the most knowledgeable people i know when it comes to Herbs,supplements and natural remedies. He is also an authentic person with a desire to help others so i do not hesitate to recommend his books.The problem these days is there are so many newly emerging bacteria it is difficult to keep up with antibiotics,which by the way over prescription of has greatly contributed to the problem,plus many conditions are viral and have to run their course. So most doctors are at a loss how to treat these conditions. Natural therapies can do a lot to help.Hope this is valuable to some of you.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:43 pm

I have not put much training info on the site for a while mainly because with the exception of a few tweaks i basically only did two programs all last year with small but steady progress and it may have been boring to others.At my stage in the game any progress is welcome. However toward the end of the year i was not looking forward to going in the gym and keeping to my carefully laid out training program. I just felt like doing something different but could not decide what, so i did what i always tell others and that is " what is your purpose for training,what do you want to achieve?" Now if you are someone who has a contest coming up in 12 weeks the goal is clear, if it is a powerlifting meet you know what you need to do on the day.So you then decide what must be done each month,and each workout and keep as much as possible to the plan. For bodybuilding contest losing unwanted fat while retaining as much muscle as possible, sharpening muscle ,outlines, bringing lagging body parts up to par would be some of the goals of the program.At 67 my goals are obviously different than at 17, 37 and even 57 as are my needs and abilities. My aim is to keep as much strength and muscle mass as i can in the coming years for as long as i can. Now the truth is we are all losing both after a certain age at varying rates depending on several factors, so when someone of my age is keeping the same strength and muscle mass it actually means there is gain, the loss is being replaced. So obviously the program needs work to stimulate both. Next i want to keep agility, mobility, flexibility, stability as much as possible and also something to challenge my conditioning.Due to my body type, lifetime of activity and eating pattern i carry very little body fat so that is not so much a problem as building and retaining muscle mass. The other thing is the mind, i need to have training be exciting and challenging. Well i decide to hold off creating a program and just do whatever came to me session by session and see where i took me.Well the main thing is i have been having some great fun doing this,with a sense of freedom, anticipation and curiosity before each workout. I have put everything into each session but as always with focus on form and handling weight that is within my capability, first and foremost there should be no injury created by any program or exercise combination. I stopped a set when i knew another perfect rep was not available, no forcing or body English allowed. For the heavier workouts i took more rest between exercises and sets but on B/W training i would rest very little between either.So far i am feeling great with this, every session is different and i feel muscle soreness after every workout but with that nice soreness you feel when a muscle has been stimulated deeper than usual. These are also full body workouts although some have only a few exercises and others more,sets and reps also vary. While it is not the type of training i would advise in general for me it is exactly what i needed and gradually the information gathered will lead somewhere else and maybe a more exact program. BTW i am noting down all weights,sets and reps and other info as i go so i can keep an eye on progressions of each workout. Later i will post some of the things i am doing. Remember, your training is your own and you do it for yourself so find what works for you and your goals.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:12 pm

So the workouts all have names and i decide what to do the day before i train on how i feel and what i did last time. The ones i have kept so far are 4x6, 3x8, 2x12. This group uses the same exercises but different set/rep schemes and loads. Very basic, squat, press, TBDL, EZ bar curl and weighted dips, rounded out with gut, grip and neck work,about an hour total.If i do 4x6 then next time it comes around i will do 3x8. Then i have the Bodyweight Blaster, higher reps and faster pace on this one but still letter perfect form. Rope Squats with weight vest alternated with back raise, pull ups alternated with dips, lunge squat alternated with one heel raise with weight vest again for these two, inverted rope row alternated with ring push ups, hanging leg raise, roman chair sit up, ab wheel medley to finish. Soaking wet on this one even in the artic temps we have been having. Back to the future, a combo of exercises from two routines i did with mates years ago. EZ bar curl alternated with press using same bar, pull up alternated with dips, BB row alternated with incline DB press, rope squat alternated with back raise, ab work. Again not much rest between sets working back and forth 3 sets each as many reps as possible each set starting with around 12 and 30 for legs. So far these have been the ones i have got the most from and enjoy so they are keepers for now. Was going to do an all DB day on Saturday but it was so bloody cold i did the B/W instead and it was just the ticket. So looking forward to an all DB day and will report later on that. As i said i am keeping records as i go so it is not total abandon. :D
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Wednesday
Leg Press
to 620-kilos x 8 reps with seat position 3

Power Squat Machine
to 420-kilos x 6 reps

Seated Leg Curls
to stack +1 plate x 12 reps