TRAINING LOG 2018

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

colinkbell

Re: TRAINING LOG 2018

Post by colinkbell » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 am

peter yates wrote:
colinkbell wrote:Good snow work and training Chris! No training for me as I'm down with a nasty cold. Thankfully it's not a flu, but enough to stop me. My wife has had an even worse one, and this morning I found her collapsed on floor! She blew her nose hard, her ear popped, then the room span on her. Colin.
Hey Colin,
i do hope you and your wife are feeling better. May i make a suggestion and this is for everyone of course.Go to Amazon and buy the book "Instant Immunity" by Richard Anderson. A great little book for a few bucks, and also in kindle, that has some great tips for building immunity and dealing with helping to shorten the misery of colds and flu. All easy to obtain natural remedies, but it is the synergy of the protocol that delivers the punch. I know Richard very well and he is one of the most knowledgeable people i know when it comes to Herbs,supplements and natural remedies. He is also an authentic person with a desire to help others so i do not hesitate to recommend his books.The problem these days is there are so many newly emerging bacteria it is difficult to keep up with antibiotics,which by the way over prescription of has greatly contributed to the problem,plus many conditions are viral and have to run their course. So most doctors are at a loss how to treat these conditions. Natural therapies can do a lot to help.Hope this is valuable to some of you.
Regards,Peter.
Thanks Peter, yes I will definitely buy that book ! Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am

peter yates wrote:So the workouts all have names and i decide what to do the day before i train on how i feel and what i did last time. The ones i have kept so far are 4x6, 3x8, 2x12. This group uses the same exercises but different set/rep schemes and loads. Very basic, squat, press, TBDL, EZ bar curl and weighted dips, rounded out with gut, grip and neck work,about an hour total.If i do 4x6 then next time it comes around i will do 3x8. Then i have the Bodyweight Blaster, higher reps and faster pace on this one but still letter perfect form. Rope Squats with weight vest alternated with back raise, pull ups alternated with dips, lunge squat alternated with one heel raise with weight vest again for these two, inverted rope row alternated with ring push ups, hanging leg raise, roman chair sit up, ab wheel medley to finish. Soaking wet on this one even in the artic temps we have been having. Back to the future, a combo of exercises from two routines i did with mates years ago. EZ bar curl alternated with press using same bar, pull up alternated with dips, BB row alternated with incline DB press, rope squat alternated with back raise, ab work. Again not much rest between sets working back and forth 3 sets each as many reps as possible each set starting with around 12 and 30 for legs. So far these have been the ones i have got the most from and enjoy so they are keepers for now. Was going to do an all DB day on Saturday but it was so bloody cold i did the B/W instead and it was just the ticket. So looking forward to an all DB day and will report later on that. As i said i am keeping records as i go so it is not total abandon. :D
Regards,Peter.
Excellent reading Peter!
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Thursday
V handle pulldowns
to the stack +1 plate x 10 reps

Close grip bench press - speed
I was having a good day. It was gonna be 120kg for 5-6 x 1 reps as a still breaking in post xmas session but... 1, 1, 3, and 3 reps. It just felt light

DOTBDLTL
to 182.5-kilos x 6 x 1 reps (stopped the 3 x 3 in case y form went to sh*t with my sore back

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 pm

Apologies for the lateness, I had not realised what this was for. Well, my training happens on a Saturday and Sunday (except when I have other pre arranged engagements or when the buses are highly unreliable) therefore my first training session of 2018 was on Sunday and as it was a personal training session with the gym's owner he encouraged me to be as strong as I could be and so I ended up doing the following:

Warm Up: 1,222 m on a rowing machine in 7½ minutes (Average speed: 1.629 m/s = 3.64mph)
Dumbbell Curls: Set One: 20 reps of 5kg, Set Two 7 reps of 7.5kg
Flat Barbell Bench Press: Set One: 15 reps of 20kg, Set 2: 10 reps of 25kg, Set Three: 7 reps of 30kg, Set Four: 5 reps of 35kg, Set Five: 2 reps of 40kg. Failure at 42.5kg (43.8% of bodyweight)
Cable Curls: Set One: 5 reps of 39kg, Set Two: 3 reps of 45kg
Barbell Calf Raise: Set One: 6 reps of 20kg, Set Two: 10 reps of 50kg, Set Three 1 rep of 70kg (not because my calves could raise the weight, it was my shoulders that couldn’t support the weight)
Rope Push Down: Set One: 8 reps of 33kg, 5 reps of 39kg

And, especially in honour of this forum, when I said that I wanted to do an exercise for my quads and hams and he admitted that he really didn't have anything, he suggested using a kettlebell in a variation of a good morning and I managed three reps using the 24kg ketttlebell (and would therefore like to know if I am now a member of the kettlebell club)?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi Harry,
good start to your training year, you will be very pleased with the progress you will make in your first year of real training. Agree with the trainer that building foundation strength is important.Having said that i am surprised there are no heavy leg and back exercises in the routine, as they are the cornerstones of strength building for the entire body. Could it be that you do those on a different day? Which would then make sense. Please also do not forget to do some training at home during the week, a combination of dumbbell and bodyweight training would fit in nicely on a Wednesday.There are plenty of templates to follow on this site, especially the single DB routines that Sticks posts with illustrations. Or you could ask the trainer to write you a program for home use. Anyway it is great that you have taken this path and i am sure you are already feeling the benefits. Keep us informed,we are all behind you
with this.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm

peter yates wrote:Hi Harry, good start to your training year, you will be very pleased with the progress you will make in your first year of real training. Agree with the trainer that building foundation strength is important.Having said that i am surprised there are no heavy leg and back exercises in the routine, as they are the cornerstones of strength building for the entire body. Could it be that you do those on a different day? Which would then make sense. Please also do not forget to do some training at home during the week, a combination of dumbbell and bodyweight training would fit in nicely on a Wednesday.There are plenty of templates to follow on this site, especially the single DB routines that Sticks posts with illustrations. Or you could ask the trainer to write you a program for home use. Anyway it is great that you have taken this path and i am sure you are already feeling the benefits. Keep us informed,we are all behind you with this. Regards,Peter.
There is a very good reason for that and that reason is "There aren't any!". The gym doesn't have a leg press, it doesn't have a leg extension / hamstring curl machine and, perhaps rather more worryingly, it doesn't have a lat pulldown machine (and the reason for that is the cost). I have said that if I am able to (after winning the lottery) I would try and source some of those machines, but that could take a very long time. I am a little wary about deadlifts as I don't want to have another nine months with a slipped disc (as I did between August 2012 and July 2013)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Nice numbers and volume Harry . Will work-up some leg & back suggestions
for you . Lat & leg can be simple solutions and not very costly . Keep an eye
pealed for e-mails ...

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 am

Friday
Grip event work

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:
peter yates wrote:Hi Harry, good start to your training year, you will be very pleased with the progress you will make in your first year of real training. Agree with the trainer that building foundation strength is important.Having said that i am surprised there are no heavy leg and back exercises in the routine, as they are the cornerstones of strength building for the entire body. Could it be that you do those on a different day? Which would then make sense. Please also do not forget to do some training at home during the week, a combination of dumbbell and bodyweight training would fit in nicely on a Wednesday.There are plenty of templates to follow on this site, especially the single DB routines that Sticks posts with illustrations. Or you could ask the trainer to write you a program for home use. Anyway it is great that you have taken this path and i am sure you are already feeling the benefits. Keep us informed,we are all behind you with this. Regards,Peter.
There is a very good reason for that and that reason is "There aren't any!". The gym doesn't have a leg press, it doesn't have a leg extension / hamstring curl machine and, perhaps rather more worryingly, it doesn't have a lat pulldown machine (and the reason for that is the cost). I have said that if I am able to (after winning the lottery) I would try and source some of those machines, but that could take a very long time. I am a little wary about deadlifts as I don't want to have another nine months with a slipped disc (as I did between August 2012 and July 2013)
Hey Harry, well while machines are fine as adjunct exercises they are by no means necessary for building leg and back strength and muscle. To begin with there are plenty of bodyweight only exercises to be going on with plus using dumbbells, kettle bells and expanders. Let's deal with the legs first, number one exercise is the squat in all of its variations. First of all standard deep knee bend with arms crossed at chest or holding a rod across the shoulders. Start with 3 sets of 10 reps and every workout add 1 rep,so next session would be 1x11,2x10 and so on until 3x 50 is reached. Basic, simple, progressive and will make a big difference in a beginner. Next we have goblet squats holding a DB or KB, same method but only go to 3x30 then use a heavier bell and start over again.Step ups on to a bench or stairs, Just body weight at first then either add a weight vest or hold DBs, work up to 3x20 each leg. Split squats [AKA lunge squats] again no weight initially then hold two DBs, build up to 3x20 each leg.Hack squats can be easily done with just a barbell or even a KB,start with 3x6 and build up to 12. Hill walks with weight vest or back pack, simple enough.On all movements focus on form and build up slowly and steadily ask the trainer to check your form. All of these can be done at home or anywhere for that matter. Now the back. I can understand you do not want another herniation to your back, but by not working it you are more likely to do just that,especially if you are working other parts of your body.You see the legs,hips and back are your foundation,your seat of power and if weak leave you vulnerable to injury. All upper body work such as pressing is supported by the back and as we know a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.For the lower back start off with back raises in several sets of 5 to condition the back gradually build up to 3x20. When you can do that start deadlifts with DBs or Kbs held at the side like suitcases, again have your trainer show you correct form,start light and build a foundation, 3x6 building to 3x10 then add weight and start again. This will slowly condition and strengthen the whole lumbar and hips and erector muscles plus some extra work for the legs. For the lats and upper back look no further than single DB rowing with opposite arm supported on a bench or chair. Start with 3x8 each arm building up to 3x12 before adding more weight. Next invest in a set of expanders [much cheaper than a lat machine] and do front pull and overhead downward pull, this combo will build a solid upper back and shoulder girdle 3x10-15 will do the trick. One more that can be done most anywhere is inverted rowing, with a rod between the backs of two chairs, grasp the rod with both hands and pull chest to touch rod. So you see Harry just a few things off the top of my head and i am sure other guys have more to offer. Have at it mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Saturday January 13th 2018
Rowing Machine: 1,172m in 7½ minutes = 156mpm = 5.81mph (Target by April 2018 = 7mph)
Standing Cable Bicep Curl: Set One 20 x 3kg, Set Two 20 x 6kg, Set Three 14 x 9kg, Set Four 6 x 15kg
Standing Calf Raise: Set One 30 x 20kg, Set Two 24 x 25kg, Set Three 30 x 30kg
Sadly due to a combination of the bus running late and having to do errands at the same time, that is all I could manage, and today I have a political meeting

I am taking everything that has been mentioned on board but as I have mentioned the main problem I have is time at the gym (and in reply to the people who say what about home, the strange thing is I am motivated to go to the gym and train at the gym, but not motivated to train at home, which is probably the reverse of most people).