TRAINING LOG 2018

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: sticksb

Re: TRAINING LOG 2018

Postby Mobster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:44 am

Similar to the last one. This time with the No1 company in the industry (NCP) only maintenance etc included so a LOT less boring. Heck, we even talked about training during the interview ha ha
Mobster

Postby Mobster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Friday
First of two workouts. Plus - what a lovely day weather wise
Iso Press
to 60-kilos x 6 reps (sleeves on)

Hammer DB Curls (done outside in the sun)
to 60-kilos @ x 8 reps

s/s

TPD
to 15p x 8 reps (sleeves on)

Wrist Curls
to 37.5-kilos @ x 8 reps (ground out)
Mobster

Postby chrallen67 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi, im New. I just sent an email asking how the Panel will be set up for questions. Im 50 (will be 51 in October). Home trainer. Started lifting weights about 1980. I am currently working on a Clean and Press specialization. Some ideas are from Brooks Kubick Dino Series (which one is Military Press). I have specialized in Military before--but want to try to keep it longer (bad habit of switching routines too fast). Studied Exercise college (Not that means anything--learned more from my books and mags). Nice to get to know you guys.
Todays Workout: (or Tomorrow Saturday if Not today
1. Seated Barbell Military 4x 3-5 increasing weights for warm ups) then work set 3x3 (same weight) and 1-3 x 1 (little less than max)
2. Seated DB Military 5reps,3-5reps, then 3x3 (same weight)
3. (Optional depending on motivation)Seated Press Behind Neck 3x 6-8 same weight.
4. Flat Bench DB Fly 3 x 8-12 (same weight)
5.Tricep Bar Bent Arm Pullover 3 x8-12 (same weight)
6.Seated Tricep Bar Tricep Ext 3x 8-12 (same weight)
7.Total Gym (cheap model) Dips 1 rest pause set,,12,4,2
chrallen67

Postby peter yates » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi welcome to the forum,is your name Chris by the way? As for the panel, just contact Diane and she will set you up with all the info. Thanks for sharing your training with us, are you working on a split routine and this is your shoulders/arms day? Personally although i have done quite a lot of them in the past i steer clear of the PBN, as in a lot of trainees it can cause shoulder problems.However we should each know our own bodies and what we can and cannot get away with. I notice the presses are done seated so i assume you are doing clean and standing press on another day,am i right? If so are your shoulders able to recover from that amount of work? Anyway nice to have you aboard and hope you will continue to post on the forum.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby chrallen67 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Yes, my name is Chris. I am not using alot of weight in the PBN, and don't do it all the time, like today didn't do it. My shoulders are good. Maybe because I don't do heavy Bench pressing, don't know. Yes, i was going to ask the panel. I was doing Clean and Press, then Power Cleans, then Overhand grip Deadlifts in a workout. I love the flow as its easy each one builds on each other in weight. But the problem is I do not like lifting every other day usually.and the are other exercises I want to do. So what I am trying to do is Seated Military and other upper body stuff I like. Then the next day do Overhand deadlifts, Curls, leg curls, and calves..Days off when I think I need them. The only day I actually do the full Clean and Press is like Tuesday (I have Monday off usually of workouts). As i don't like the Idea of Clean and Press a day after, well anything really. As of right now interesting,,my Seated Military poundage is almost exact as standing. I understand you need to do the lift to actually usually get better at the lift. I do not go to a job, that may be one reason why I like to lift almost every day. A big reason why is it flows easier to me,,,every other day is too much "up and down" of my psyching up. I work out at home by myself. Can't squat because recently have knee issues, although Deadlift doesn't hurt them. So I was going to ask is doing Seated and Assistance one Day,,and Overhand deadlifts and/or power cleans the next--if that combo will help the Standing clean and press? or probably not? Is Only doing clean and press going to help the clean and press? Interesting i guess Hepburn liked to do Press off Racks alot---
chrallen67

Postby chrallen67 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Mobster,,I like seeing the addition,,,"Done outside in the Sun" very cool
chrallen67

Postby chrallen67 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Saturday's Planned Workout (I'll let you know if it changes)---Light Volume Day--so for Fun
1. Overhand Grip Deadlift 6 x 3-5 adding weight each set. then 3x3 at my workout weight
2. If I feel like it 3 sets Single leg Calf raises on my Total Gym---
3. Exercise Bike 20-30 min

4. Exercise Bike again (20-35 min)if bored and anxiety (I have Diabetes and the Bike really helps, I don't do high intensity) it is very laid back and easy. And breaks up the day. I enjoy doing it while watching You Tube

2 reasons why I do Overhandgrip on DL 1. I think it will help my Clean and Press,,and 2. I only have a 5 ft bar with 250 pound capacity (They say),,and Overhand grip is more difficult (at least for me) than the alternated (can't think of the name) grip
chrallen67

Postby sticksb » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi Chris
Everyone is different . One way of boosting your clean & press and deadlift
is to try doing them with dumbbells . This is provided you have enough poundage
to load the bells substantially . Pick a warm-up weight well within your capability ,
say a pair of 35#ers , and do 2 warm-up sets of 6 reps in the clean and press . Then
sets 3-5 increase the weight 10#s per bell .Example : (clean & press) .
set#1+2 35# bells x 6reps
set#3 45# x 6reps
set#4 55# x 6reps
set#5 65# x 6reps
Dumbbell Deadlift
set#1 12-15reps
set#2 8-10reps (+20#)
set#3 4-6 reps (+30#) when you go back to your straight bar , which is less awkward
and easier to control , you may improve quite a bit .
sticksb

Postby chrallen67 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Ok Sticks. But will the Seated Military and Overhand Deadlift help the Clean and Press? (I would think they would)..We will see since i like the workout, and will keep a while. But in generality, will they help?
chrallen67

Postby sticksb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 am

Do you have a poundage goal in mind ? Seated press and OH deadlifting should
have a positive carryover to the compound . Heavy rowing and shrugs could also be added
to supplement the clean and help compensate for the lack of direct squatting .
sticksb

PreviousNext

Return to Weight Training