TRAINING LOG 2018

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: sticksb

Re: TRAINING LOG 2018

Postby Mobster » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:46 am

chrallen67 wrote:Mobster,,I like seeing the addition,,,"Done outside in the Sun" very cool

Had to be done :D
Mobster

Postby chrallen67 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Workout about to begin, Plan:
1.Power Clean 6 x3 (Increasing lbs each set to max 3)
2. Overhand Deadlift (I don't use straps, but love my wrist wraps and Belt) 4x3 (starting off 20 pounds more than where Power C left off)
3. if energy and mood: Barbell Curl 4-5 x 6- 3 increasing each set

Exercise Bike in afternoon 20 min--low Intensity for fun (May do it after lifting too),,I don't seem to burn out on only 20 min, it goes fast and to You Tube its fun,,very low intensity, but do sweat.

Rock On!

Post workout; Made all wanted reps with planned weights (to me that is what is important)--No Bike first workout, I want to relax. Did add 3 sets of single calf raises on my Total Gym after the curls (i like keeping calves cool)

Bike later for fun, and manage my blood sugars

I can feel it in my Abs when I do my top sets of Barbell Curls (I think its cool and kinda funny,,,feels great)
chrallen67

Postby chrallen67 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Mobster, are you Exercising today?
chrallen67

Postby peter yates » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Good one Chris, just out of interest do you have type 1 or 2 diabetes?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby chrallen67 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Type 2, im 50, was diagnosed at 38. I went from 250 lb concentrating all my life on lifting to 215. then the med and I balloned back to 250 and was Pre Diabetic and kept gaining to 275 and wasn't exercising at the time much. It didn't take long after doing that to be get full blown. Im controlled now (Diabetes) at 195 lbs was 250 a year ago again (I blame it on non regular cardio and alcohol--but was lifting), but now work on maintaining lower carb diet it and exercising in some form almost every day--staying away from alcohol for 15 months has helped lose weight. Staying away makes me concentrate more on diet and exercise--just kind of natural that way. Diabetic Facebook groups are good to keep on track. Not telling others not to drink in any way, I haven't even said i quit for good. Just the way it is for me at this moment. I go through phases between workouts similiar to Sticks Full Body or his A,B chart cartoon workout, to 1-2 sets per exercise like Ellington Darden Full Body and Mike Mentzer Split. To my current Phase of more Power Building. I get too bored doing 4 or 5 sets of an exercise for 8-12 reps. I like High sets-low reps, or Bodybuilding Reps 1-3 sets--occasionaly 4 sets. I work out at home. Dont Barbell Bench or Squat. But im ok with that. I like making my own routines and studying other peoples. My problem if it is one, is i am always tweaking or changing someting. Been a habit since the beginning in 1978 or so.By the way, if I really want to do leg exercises (I count my Exercise bike, leg Ext, Lying Leg Curls,,and I also do Single-Leg squats/leg press on my Total Gym. at this moment No knee pain on those exercises). My knee pain just started 6 months ago, i think maybe because I was going too low on heal raised front squats,,I was doing them because I am fascinated with Olympic weightlifting at times and was my version.
Last edited by chrallen67 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrallen67

Postby chrallen67 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:56 pm

excuse me for long post,,I got carried away.
chrallen67

Postby chrallen67 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Log, im not 100% sure yet. But the Seated Military (Only) workout tomorrow, may not happen. I have lifted quite a few days in a row, and today making all my reps at this point took its toll(feels good)
So, Sunday and Monday may be Exercise Bike or Rest only. Tuesday hit it with my Military Press workout ---I am doing a workout inspired by Old School lifters--adding a set of 3 working weight each workout until I hit 5 or 6 sets of 3. Then add 2 1/2 to 5 pounds and start at 1x3(cleaning on first rep)--Not sure yet if doing Assistance exercises that day yet.

I write these workouts with the intent on sticking with them for quite a while. But end up switching rep schemes too often in my opinion. Because I also like just working up to 1-3 sets of 3, then doing 1-3 singles.
I really end up doing Instinctive training with my Reps
chrallen67

Postby chrallen67 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:28 pm

I have seen some posts on Steve Reeves routine. I have seen it and similar on the Web ( I want his book, but can't afford it yet. Anyways, what I have done is take his order of exercises, and substitute similiar exercises for that bodypart in that slot. If I don't like the exercise, or needs a spotter, or don't have the equipment. Reeves and Park are among my favorites. But I really like everyone up to 2005. After that, I can't remember anyone.
chrallen67

Postby peter yates » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 pm

chrallen67 wrote:excuse me for long post,,I got carried away.

Hey Chris, no problem with that, it just helps us to get to know you better. First i want to congratulate you for losing the weight and getting the diabetes under control, you do not need me to tell you what devastation it can cause in the body. Great also you have kept off the booze for so long,it really does make a difference.At your age you can do whatever training you want,you have earned that right, but it looks like you have a good handle on your training,Let's face it, if you enjoy what you do you will keep on doing it and the consistency is what counts above all else. I do not think the tweaking of the set/rep scheme is a problem as long as you keep records so you know what you did on a certain scheme previously. Can actually be a benefit some times, especially if training often. Seems you know when your body needs a break too. The truth is we are all unique and while there are certainly training guidelines only we as individuals can decide what is the best way to train for our needs. What is great about the forum is there are many experienced guys who share their training ideas and from them we can take what works for us. Good luck with the training.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby chrallen67 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Awesome, if I may say so, great response. I love seeing others workouts. I believe everything can work in some way. Like you I agree doing what you like as long as you do something (and hopefully don't get injured) is what matters. I really am liking this. And the price for the membership is AWESOME, you may have a Lifer here!
chrallen67

PreviousNext

Return to Weight Training