Squat every day

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Squat every day

Post by peter yates » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Well this post is not a regurgitation of an article from one of the Bro sites or channeling an Easter European program from the 80s. I am writing about keeping the legs in good shape with a springiness and flexibility as we age. The Chinese say that a man is as strong as his back and as old as his legs. Both of course contribute to our foundation of strength, power and stability through life and especially as regards training. Keeping those attributes become increasingly important as we age. Now over the years i have done many kinds of Squat programs, i have squatted 3x a week while specializing on 20 rep death sets, though very few other exercises were included,perhaps a press, pull up or row and stiff leg deadlift for a couple of sets. At other times i Squatted only once or twice weekly using a wide variety of set/rep schemes, such as 5x5, 6x4, 5,4,3,2,1. Even a John Grimek inspired program calling for descending sets while adding weight of 20, 15, 12, 10,8,6. That one was only once a week and a killer. However these have all been programs with the purpose of adding muscular body weight or increasing strength.As we age there is often a need for more recovery time,but if we wait too long between sessions there is often soreness after training, need for a lot more warmup sets or even loss of strength. The remedy i have found that works for me is to do some type of squat every day. Of course these days i have only one, what constitutes as an heavy for me,day per week done as either 4x6 or 3x10 with weight adjustment.
Another day i do rope squats for high reps up the 30 for 3 sets, and yet another day i do squats with two KBs in the rack position for 3x12-15. The last two while not placing much stress on my recovery do hit the legs in different ways for overall benefit. On other days i just do any type of squat movement i feel like,which could be the Indian wrestler squats, lunge squats or just getting down in a squat position and holding it while watching TV. These are meant to be light and just keep the legs, knees, hips and lumbar supple and active. As i get older i feel it is very important to keep squatting, for those who are able of course, and that the weight does not really matter. In fact it would be better to do body weight squats of higher reps rather than just pushing up the weight. It is possible to do both of course as i am now doing and everyone will have to decide when the time is right to adjust. I do recommend though that wherever you may be in your training life adding light squat type movements on a daily basis can be a plus.Looking forward to others experiences and opinions on this,
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Re: Squat every day

Post by Talbot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 pm

I believe that general compound movements are necessary for general fitness.

I think high volume, rather than high weight, is better for general fitness.

A trap bar gives me a better "feel," than either squats or deads, being somewhere in between, giving you the best of both.

Barbell Hack Squats, with low weight, but volume, say 5 x 20, finishing up on your toes each rep, with under handed grip pushing the weight back away from your body, to include great triceps development too, is a favorite of mine.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 am

Some type of daily squatting is essential for me . I'm 66 and after multiple sports
including powerlifting and 40 years on manufacturing shop floors my knees have been
stressed and battered to the point where anything over and above function is asking a lot.
Most recently I cared for a family member , for about a year , who has ALS . This meant
lugging a wheel chair , with my brother in it , up and down stairs . I HAD to continue to train
out of safety and self preservation . Hopefully none of you find yourselves in this type of situation
but if you do , strong , flexible and conditioned legs will be a lifesaver literally .

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Hey Chris,
you have hit on the reason for continuing to train throughout life, and that is you never know what life will throw at you and you better be ready. Trophies, medals and titles are all well and good but it is having to endure difficulties that befall oneself or as in your case a loved one. It takes all the physical and mental power we can muster in such situations. Keeping strong and active can give a head start. I know how much you have done for David over the years and especially how tough last year was. I hope Dave is comfortable and my God bless you both.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (155.04 KiB) Viewed 7543 times

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi Peter, great post. I squat briefly every single morning! By this I mean I converted my toilet to an Asian squat toilet by purchasing a Squatting Potty a few years back. Plus that will greatly reduce my chances of bowel cancer into the bargain. I also try to sit in squat in odd moments during day eg having tea on my break, picking something off the floor etc.
Having squatted so many hours in the past with Olympic lifting, I presently don't have any appetite for squatting in the gym lol. And contrary to current opinion, I happen to believe that one legged strength is more functional. Mike Boyle has said that too.
Thanks, Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi Colin,
well you hit on one of the reasons people in the East have tended traditionally to have healthier legs and hips into later years. The old squat toilet,used in many Asian countries for centuries but now sadly being replace by western style toilets in the newer homes. While living in the Orient it was common to see groups of men, maybe construction workers etc. taking a break and chatting away while squatting down. I wonder how many men of any age in the West can even get down into that position and if so hold it for any length of time?I also noticed that Oriental men in general had good leg development even without training.My son has amazing legs which he gets from his mother's side as mine look like turnips,LOL. While i do believe that working the legs in unison is an important part of building whole body strength i do agree unilateral work is also important and mostly underutilized. Dumbbells are routinely used to bring balance of strength and development to the upper body and the lower needs this in many case more than the upper. Left/ right imbalances in the lower extremities can cause a number of problems especially for weightlifters and powerlifters as they move into using heavier weights. Single leg extensions and leg press can be used but it is probably better doing more compound movements such a one leg squat, split squat or Bulgarian squat.You also touched on another very important reason for using the squat toilet and that is it is a much more natural position from which to move the bowels and may prevent certain forms of colon cancer.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:36 pm

In old articles Bill Pearl noted (when he toured India) how squatting in
the third world as a form of sitting was the reason for good elimination and low
rates of bowel cancer/ diverticulitis etc. Art Jones used to counter arguments
against the squat by stating "squatting as a form of sitting is the habit worldwide
except for the Americas where knee problems are far more common". I had a Vietnamese
friend Phouc Lam (Mr.Fish) who worked with me when I ran a paint shop. Phouc would be
waiting for me every morning squatting by the air vent having a ciggarette and cup of
coffee. He was about 125# of solid muscle and could squat up and down on one leg
for countless reps . He was a welder back in Viet Nam and had too tote 100 kilo
bundles around with a head wrap sling type deal . Talk about a constant leg workout!
Complete with coffee and a Marlboro . And yes his name was quite a problem on the
intercomm when paged ...

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Just an old story, but my old personal trainer former Mr Britain and Universe finalist Don Dorans, told me of when he was in the Middle East in WW11 despite supposed to be fighting Rommel, they still trained with weights and had a system they called, long before Joe Weider, the " Blitz" system all it meant was if ever there was a lull in the fighting or shell fire, they would roll out the barbell and do a set of squats. then the shells came back, the guys went back to their trenches and waited for the next quiet time to do another set. It is amazing how crazy bodybuilders are, but you have to admire their spirit. true story, published long ago also in Health and Strength. David Gentle, now when i squat, i need the wife, to pick me up again, ho hum.....
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:20 pm

sticksb wrote:
IMG.jpg
You know, I forgot how good these can be! These, along with deadlifting and Olympic lifting were how I really started squatting when I was a young teenager. I had no squat rack as a kid so I added this in for variety by placing the loaded bar, which I'd "deadlift" up to and carefully place on my bench.....LOL! From there, I just grabbed the bar and squatted away!