Sandow's Light Dumbbell routine, paired with Maxalding

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

Viking

Sandow's Light Dumbbell routine, paired with Maxalding

Post by Viking » Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 am

Hello,

I am currently involved into the Sandow's light dumbbell routine. I do this routine first thing in the morning. In the evening, I practice Maxalding. So both of them use muscle control and mind muscle connection.

As far as Sandow is concerned, I firstly chose to read the original books (System of physical training ; Strength and how to obtain it). Then to get it in a more modern language, I read David Bolton's "Lost secret to a great body".

Regarding Maxalding, sources are more varied: books and courses of Saldo / Maxick, A. Rojas.

Concerning Sandow's practice, I would like to know if someone here is doing it as well (or at least tried it for a while). If so, what do you think of it - in terms of results, expectations, etc... - ?

Anyhow, this post remains "openned" as it can talk about programing, results (both in terms of strength and body composition), efficiency, etc...

I thank you very much for your help and I hope tis topic has not already been covered somewhere else.

Kind regards,

David Gentle

Re: Sandow's Light Dumbbell routine, paired with Maxalding

Post by David Gentle » Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi Viking, thats a great name tag. i hope fellow member Paul Shaw, reads and replies to your input as he has ideas the similar to yours, ie. useing light Sando type dumbells,but with full range and total contraction or peak contraction. He certainly does well on whatever system he is doing. oh and welcome to our gang mate. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Viking

Post by Viking » Sat May 26, 2018 8:55 am

Hello David,

Thank you for your welcoming word !

Based on your experience, do you know if this kind of practice (light dumbbell done with total / peak contraction) can maintain maximal strength on the long term ? My main concern is that I do not wan to lose too much strength and would like to avoid any "pure aesthetic muscle"

Indeed, currently, I simply maintain my "top moves" (one arm chin up, muscle up, front lever, and heavy turkish get up) once a day.

Kind regards,

Paul Shaw

Post by Paul Shaw » Sat May 26, 2018 9:03 am

Hi Viking

I too enjoy the Sandow system of light dumbbell training.

It provides an alternative way of exercising especially useful as one gets a bit older as the stress on the joints is removed and one can exercise every day and you don't need to leave your own home.

I tend to look into systems for the history and what actual effect it has had on the person promoting the system.

If we accept the fantastic history of the system from Attila to Sandow penned by Dave Bolton then what happened after Sandow.

For me the proof of the Sandow system is Tommy Inch he was Britains Strongest youth and was training on the light dumbbell system to achieve this. His mother bought him the Sandow books.
When Tommy contacted scarlet fever he built his health back up again using the light dumbbells.

Saldo was apprenticed to Sandow at 18 years of age and schooled in the light dumbbell system and muscle control.

Maxalding originally used light dumbbells for the biceps curl exercise. Then abandoned the dumbbell in later courses which was a mistake in my opinion.

Sandow was performing the muscle controls in his act long before Maxick turned up and invented it.

Keep us informed how you get on please you have found exercise gold

Paul

Viking

Post by Viking » Sat May 26, 2018 11:42 am

Hello Paul,

First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

This morning, I tried to apply Sandow's & Maxick principles to compound moves, just to see how it went.

I did it with pull ups, chin ups, one arm one leg push ups and pistol squats and abdominals

One arm one leg push ups:
This exercise require a full body tension to be properly performed and avoid arching the lumbars.
I did them on alternate arm, until I was not able to perform another repetition. Then I avoided failure

Pull ups:
I mainly focused on the back (latissimus dorsi) and scapulae retraction / protraction.
I did 3 sets until I was not able to perform another repetition

Chin ups:
I above all focused on the biceps. In both cases, I tightly gripped the bar during the concentric phase, and loosened it during the eccentric phase.
I did 3 sets of until I was not able to perform another repetition

Pistol squats
I used a full contraction of the bent leg when I reached the bottom position, then a relaxation, then a contraction again to get up.
I did 1 set per leg until I was not able to perform another repetition

Abdominals
I did several exercises:
- Dragon flags (1 set)
- Rubber band crunch (a band fixed to the door frame actually) (1 set)

I really felt good doing this routine by focusing on specific muscle or muscle groups. Then I am really pleased to see that it is possible thanks to muscle control to tense only "the required muscles" while relaxing the others. To a certain extent, it permits to save energy. However, it requires some visualization to break the move down.

Currently, even if I can do several free handstand push ups, I still do not have the level to perform muscle control with this exercise.

Then, I'll keep running the Bolton / Sandow's light dumbbell routine and the Maxalding routine as well because it seems to transfer pretty well to other moves. Plus, considering your information, it also keeps an incredible amount of strength.

Based on your experience, did you notice anything regarding both your strength and body composition ?

If it interests you, I can use this thread to post some results here and there. Currently, my best "result" regarding muscle control remain the rectus abdominis and obliquus / transversus abdominis.

Kind regards,

Pierre

Viking

Post by Viking » Mon May 28, 2018 8:47 am

Hi everyone,

Below is an interesting article regarding Ancient Greek training.
http://ditillo2.blogspot.fr/2008/11/anc ... pride.html

This can be interesting to get an overall idea of how they built their physiques, both in terms of functional strength and aesthetics. To a certain extent, the "form was a by product of the function".

Kind regards,

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon May 28, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi Viking, I am pleased Paul Shaw answered as he is really one tough dude. i remember him challenging a bunch of entrants to Britains Strongest Man, he had a set of grippers, and not one of them could close the grippers unlike Paul lwho did it with comparative ease. Your own training really impresses me, some great tough stunts few could copy. Also the other benefits of the system we are speaking of is there is less chance of injury or strain. I would emphase that, to give an example, the strong man Mike Dayton who i met, told me make sure you also concentrate on recovery time and good nutrition. . Now i am going to try to find a photo of another strong man Gary Stich, who was tops with a special piece of grip apparatus, a similar piece the pre mentioned Paul made for me, and not seen around much. I think this was in Iron Man The weight in pix was 225lbs.
Attachments
scan0220.jpg
scan0220.jpg (694.85 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Viking

Post by Viking » Mon May 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Hello David,

Thank you very much for these kind words. They mean a lot coming from you.

You are absolutely right regarding recovery and injury. Some time time ago, I got injured on the lats, when I was training the front lever. During two weeks, I had pain to lean forward and sideways. At the time, I was overtaining because I practiced FL progressions every day. Now, I am very cautious concerning recovery. I almost consider it as a part of the routine (with massage, stretching and mobility, muscle control and breathing). I am really looking for a life long program.

I noticed I prefer practicing with light weight or even bodyweight, focusing on form and the the concerned muscles. I simply do my "top moves" once or twice a day, almost as an "old time evening performance". I guess the focus with light weights transfer well to heavy work. At the beginning, I was skeptical about this strategy but I am amazed about the transfer to heavy weight lifting and body composition. The quite high rep and high focus of Sandow's method also give an impressive conditioning as well, in my opinion.

As you say, I think nutrition is an important element. I am not a diet fad. I eat a little bit of everything, in small amounts: "The big rater is a wasteful eater" as the old time saying goes. Nonetheless, I eat only organic and whole food.

Kind regards,