Strength Lore & Strands: First Schedule

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

Internalfitness

Strength Lore & Strands: First Schedule

Post by Internalfitness » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi all,

Having read and thoroughly enjoyed strength Lore and Strands by David Webster, I figured it was time to try the schedules contained inside. I am, however, going to need a little help! (My thoughts on each movement are the ones in brackets)

This is the First Schedule:

Downward Pull & Knee Bend x 10 (easy enough - feet together, toes out, arms overhead knuckles out; pull and drop)
2 Arm Sideway Tricep Stretch x 10 (guessing upper arms horizontal, forearms vertical, knuckles out, pull forearms to straight)
Curls x 8 each arm (it's a curl!)
Chest Pull Attention x 10 (arms out in front, then pull arms out to the side)
Back Press Attention x 10 (strands behind back, hands by shoulders - press out)
Dislocation with Forward Bend x 10 (????)
Military Press x 10 (usual military press)
Abdominal Raise x 10 - 12 (I'll try this on a small stool with feet under my sofa)
Heel Raise x 15 (just bodyweight)

Now then 'Dislocation' - Webster's instruction on this makes it seem to me a bit like trying to get out of a straight jacket - which would make 'dislocation' make sense. Anyone care to put it into terms I might understand, or am I pretty much on the money and it's just a twist and stretch motion that can be done in a variety of ways?

Cheers,

Richie.

David Gentle

Re: Strength Lore & Strands: First Schedule

Post by David Gentle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Mate, you are on the money, you get to the end full stretch any literally you can, a bit of a contortionist, i have watched Dave Webster actually doing the exercise and its a circus act in itself. To be honest you would get more benefit out of basic triceps stretches than simply finding some crafty of extending the springs.David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi Richie, good program.To me the dislocation is more of a pull than an exercise. Like David says there are better ways to work the target muscles.This is more about how much you can pull.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Stunt , as an analogy , is spot on . In odd lift contests the hack squat being competed
is usually no more then a reverse deadlift rather then a test of pure quad strength .