If you could only do one.

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: If you could only do one.

Post by peter yates » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Talbot wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:27 pm
@Peter: One hack squat and one free squat, is one rep. So 10x10 even at light weights is a lot of squats! That is the way George Hackenschmidt did them, though just the hack squats, and with more weight, AND more reps. It sure worked for him!

P.S. I use a pair of automobile jack stands, set at just the right level, so that it is easy to put down the bar, and pick it up again.
Thanks Talbot,i get it. I used car jack stands for partial deadlifts and hand and thigh lifts, so i can see how they would work well for the exercise you described.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 am

Ah yes, partial dead lifts! Or knee high dead lifts. Yes, do those too, with jack stands. Recommended by Frank Zane, and way easier on your lower back, than pulling off of the floor. With great results too.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Thats a super photo Jim, i would think lifting that boulder would involve just about every muscle on the body, looks like for instance even your neck is getting a workout.Re dear old Hackenschmidt and the lift. I remember going back a while, he said, the lift was not actually named after him as much as he was happy about it, but simply because the work "Hacke" was the Russian for "heels" due to the fact the barbell was held behind at the heels. Again back to Don Dorans, he was a great believer in change to avoid staleness in training, so every time he gave you a new schedule, he gave you an alternate to basic squats, these being front squats, bench or half squats, high and low rep squats, straddle lift squats and the Hack squats. he also developed a great piece of apparatus a leg extension/push exerciser which i used often instead of lifting heavy weights out of squat bars, the idea of also changing your reps from low with heavy weights to high with lighter was a favourite of his.Point of interest, Arnold S knew Don well and they got on well, no doubt exchanging ideas, this was at Wag Bennetts gym. you can see the pair of them in old Peak magazines. David Gentle.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi David, yes Don Dorans was a man ahead of his time and was not bound by the conventional thinking of the day. Many a champ and regular trainer benefited from his advise.I know both yourself and Ray were trained by him at some point in your training lives. He also lived the life and was an all round strength athlete.Not wanting to be picky mate but i think Hacke is German for heel and not Russian.Whatever that is the origin of the exercise name i do believe.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Not wanting to be greedy and having already had my pick with the clean and press, i would like to put forward my second choice if i was limited to just one exercise. This is an exercise/lift that i have done most of my life since learning it as a teen. As a lift i got up to some respectable poundage in my teens. It is mentioned in all of the old training books from at least the turn of the century, and was regarded as one of the very best exercises for building a thick and powerful back, hitting everything from traps to hamstrings, plus a whole lot more.In fact any back program worth its salt included this exercise. If it was/is so good why did it fall out of favor?Similar to the overhead press losing popularity in training once excluded from Olympic lifting competition, i feel the same thing happened once this lift was dropped from the 'Olympic 5'in the 1920s. It is of course the single DB swing. Now there are many ways to perform the swing and in recent years the kettle bell movement has brought it back as an exercise.All methods are valid and productive but i find the best results for me are doing it as i was originally taught. Take a bell that is loaded a bit heavier at the rear, some use as much as 25lb more, but i find 10 or 12.5lb to be just right. Do a pre lift by straightening the legs slightly and engaging the trapezius of the lifting arm before re bending the legs, lowering the bell and allowing it to travel slightly backward.Then drive through with the hips as the legs straighten and the bell is launched up over the head. At the right point you can step forward with the same leg as the lifting arm in a split stance or drop into a squat stance with slightly more weight on the opposite leg. You can also just dip the knees to get below the bell if the other two methods are difficult, but less weight can be used this way.Now once the bell is locked overhead and the legs are straight many lifters often just let the bell swing back down to the starting position, especially if doing multiple reps. However doing that robs a great deal of extra stimulation to the body. What i do is slowly lower the bell, as in the negative portion of the press,to the shoulder, and from there back to the ground.Then repeat the whole lift again.This exercise provides strong stimulation to the whole body especially the legs,trunk and back, plus the arms and shoulder girdle from the lowering portion. Activates metabolism in a positive manner and at higher reps gives a good workout to the heart and lungs,and is also an athletic type quick lift that both demands and builds fluid movement and total co-ordination of all the body's muscle structures. Using one arm at a time actives the opposite side stabilizers too.My preferred way of doing it is to start light and do several consecutive reps, then add weight and lower the reps set by set down to singles.Though these days as an older trainer i tend to keep the reps on the higher side.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:14 pm

peter yates wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:19 pm
Hi David, yes Don Dorans was a man ahead of his time and was not bound by the conventional thinking of the day. Many a champ and regular trainer benefited from his advise.I know both yourself and Ray were trained by him at some point in your training lives. He also lived the life and was an all round strength athlete.Not wanting to be picky mate but i think Hacke is German for heel and not Russian.Whatever that is the origin of the exercise name i do believe.
Regards,Peter.
david your post regarding don dorans leg machine brought back memories. in 1969 i was an instructor in the nordic health studio in glasgow. don brought a few machines to the gym in the hope of selling them to the owners. i was selected to try them out. the leg machine i found to be a hit.worked the thighs diferently from the vertical leg press which was in the gym.complete isolation of the thighs and very comfertable to use.the other machine was the flat flying machine designed to isolate the pecs, it was execelent also. it was a forerunner to the pec deck. the owners bought both machines. i should add both were plate loaded. don was way ahead of his time in everything bodybuilding, nutrition, and designing equipment and one heck of an engineer. as you said david he was a proponent of heavy and light training. example he designed a routine for me i will give an edited version...routine was an overall body done. 2 days on 2 days off then repeated. ist day all exercises done for 3 sets of ten. second day the basic exercises like benc press, squats press behind neck bent rows barbell curl were done 10 sets of 3 reps heavy. ist day had an assistance exercise added for each bodypart. example flys for chest side raises for delts etc. in otherwords 2 exercises per bodypart.second day all assistance exercises dropped and only basic ones done. loved that routine, great gains were made both in strength and physique.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi Ray, i remember reading that in your book, and at the time thought what a well thought out plan it was.It could of course benefit the bodybuilder but with a bit of tweaking also the strength athlete.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates