Training update

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Training update

Post by peter yates » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:17 pm

One truth that holds constant in training is that changes will have to be made to accommodate the variables that life throws at you. One of those variables is the aging process. Now i am certainly not saying we should slow up or cut down on training as we age,far from it.However depending upon a variety of factors certain changes will inevitably have to be made.I also believe that for those who have retired that more,not less, general activity needs to be engaged in.Use it or lose it. Like many here i began my training journey as a kid of 10 and have trained in a wide variety of physical disciplines and tried many types of programs.No matter what anyone says or what is written in magazines or on line,personal experimentation is the best teacher. Spend a fair bit of time with a given system or program and then keep what works and shelve for now what does not.I say shelve and not discard, because at a later date it may be just what you need. Anyway after a lifetime of training i know what works, what feels good on my old body and what i enjoy doing.In my opinion the last is most important.After many years of focusing on strength training i found that my body was just not coming back well from it and it would take much longer before i was ready to train again. Also it has always been very difficult for me to build and retain body weight, and this type of training was leaving me stringy and drawn. So i started doing more volume in my training with higher reps and lighter weights. Still working 3 days per week, i noticed an immediate improvement in my energy, less joint soreness after a session, and best of all my musculature started to fill out and my weight increased a few pounds. This was mostly muscle as my waist stayed the same. Now we all know you cannot build muscle in your late 60s, can you? Who came up with that garbage? While the change was positive i still needed to tweak it as i went along to find the best,for now, method. I looked into the past and what had always been the best method for me and that would now still fit my needs. I have always responded best to hard work in limited doses and so i cut my sets down to two and started working my whole body 3 times a week,Each set is taken to the point where another rep is not possible and all reps are done at a steady pace with as perfect a form as possible.For many this may be a very basic way of training but it is working wonderfully for me right now. I rest very little between exercises and can usually finish a workout in 35 mins. Results have been better and quicker recuperation, more energy for other activities, increased muscle growth, retaining strength with some improvement, minimum joint pain, training enthusiasm is high. Ironic but when i stopped training purely for strength i did not lose the strength i had and even improved on certain exercises. Gone now are the fives, triples and singles and the lowest rep range is 8 and the highest 20 and plus. I feel if older, and especially with joint issues it is positive to have a variety of exercises that can be rotated so the stress is more spread out.Of course those exercises must be ones that are compatible with your own body and its limitations. For example i cannot do a standard bench press now without shoulder pain, yet a low incline DB press causes no problem, so that is a no brainer.Anyway here are the exercises i use rotation Squat, hack squat,leg press, trap bar DL, heel raise, toe press, dips, incline DB press, weighted dips, pull ups, pull downs, DB row, pulley row, cable front pull, single DB press, BB press, alternate DB press, seated DB curl, thick bar curl, swingbell curl, triceps push down.Plus grip, neck and abdominal work of various types.The program i am on at the moment is two different workouts alternated 3x per week as follows. Workout A. SQUAT 1X15-25,1X10-15
DIPS 2X10-15 Alternated with
CURL GRIP PULL DOWN 2X8-12
ALTERNATE DB.PRESS. Alternated with
SEATED DB. CURL 2X8-12
TOE PRESS 1X20-30
NECK EXERCISE WITH CABLES 1X20-30
VULCAN GRIPPER 1X10-15
WRIST CURL 1X10-15
VARIOUS ABDOMINAL WORK Including hanging leg raise, roman chair, incline sit up, ab wheel.
Workout B.
TBDL 1X15-20,1X8-12
WEIGHTED PUSH UP 1X10-15 Alternated with
PULLEY ROW 1X8-12
BB PRESS 1X12,1X8 Alternated with
THICK BAR CURL 1X12,1X8.
TOE PRESS 1X20-30
NECK EXERCISE WITH CABLES 1X20-30
WRIST ROLLER 3-4 one way,3-4 the other way*
WRIST CURL 1X 15-20
VARIOUS AB WORK**
*Wrist roller is done standing on a bench with arms hanging down in front.
**Ab work is done every day.
Anyway that is my training at the moment and i am loving it and the benefits i am getting.I trust others are getting as much from their training as i am am.Let us know.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Re: Training update

Post by peter yates » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:30 pm

As a follow up to my last post i would like to add that every day i also do Qigong, meditation, stretching and mobility work plus two walks over hilly terrain of at least 30 minutes. 2 or 3 times a week i will do some Indian club work and also 2 or 3 times a week i do martial arts applications. I work part time and take care of the home so i am active a large part of the time. I am well aware that as i progress into my 70s and hopefully beyond,that i will have to periodically alter what i do, but i am also aware that i will keep doing what i can for as long as i can and plan to stay active for the rest of my time on this earth.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates