Steve Reeves Favorite Routine

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

sticksb

Re: Steve Reeves Favorite Routine

Post by sticksb » Sat May 28, 2016 8:23 pm

With the routine Reeves did you train the abdominals automatically by the sheer volume
of movements involved . He did do sit-ups and leg raises regularly at Yarrick's gym .His abs
were not prominent until he flexed them and when he did he had a great midsection . His
taper was so dramatic he devoted much to "sweep poses" rather then crunching and ab isolation
on displaying in contests and for photos ...

YoungCadine

Post by YoungCadine » Sat May 28, 2016 8:41 pm

sticksb wrote:With the routine Reeves did you train the abdominals automatically by the sheer volume
of movements involved . He did do sit-ups and leg raises regularly at Yarrick's gym .His abs
were not prominent until he flexed them and when he did he had a great midsection . His
taper was so dramatic he devoted much to "sweep poses" rather then crunching and ab isolation
on displaying in contests and for photos ...
What do you recommend for someone who's aspiring to obtain a Steve Reeves esque physique? I've been cutting, and I did do zero carb similar to Vince Gironda for awhile, and just of recent I've been experimenting with foods and found that my digestive system is sound and healthy and I feel great with no inflammation after eliminating all wheat and similar grains like oats, along with all dairy products (I'm lactose intolerant). I eat a hunter-gatherer type diet with heavy accent on meats (my vegetarian experiment did go very badly) with fruits and vegetables added into the mix. I basically eat tons of lean beef and chicken (no pork) with some fruits and vegetables (including sweet potato) and seeds. I also include and I'm allowed to have brown rice/sprouted rice and quinoa, which I do eat.w I basically follow the whole "eat right for your blood type for type o/paleo/hunter gatherer/low carb dieting" and it seems to work well for me. I did originally follow a very low carb diet because I had tons of inflammation and was sick all the time following my vegetarian diet, and after eliminating all plant food sources, I added in what I could tolerate. My skin rash went away too.

All of that aside the point, do I have to continue cutting? I'm 5'10, 17 years old and 174 lbs and I want a physique similar to Steve Reeves, lean, tapered and big but not like a cadaver like Vince. I understand that Vince Gironda's dieting principles were correct though and I did manage to drop quite a bit of bodyfat and gain muscle. I just want some guidance from you and all the other classic physique people.
Here are some recent screenshots from a day ago
http://prntscr.com/b9kwbt
http://prntscr.com/b9kygk

Kinda blurry shots but what of his routines should I follow and do you recommend I do 3 days a week full body? Thanks so much

EDIT: Here's another pic http://prntscr.com/b9l310

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sat May 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Reeves had a unique genetic footprint . What he had would be hard for anyone to duplicate
regardless of how they ate or trained . Steve gained on a high volume full body routine three
day a week schedule . He devoted everything to training , worried little about outside work or
school . Rested and slept a lot during what was typically a 6-8 week cycle of total ass busting.
He ate well and practically anything he wanted and occasionally supplemented with eggs/orange juice
mixed with Knox gelatin . He also would layoff for 4-6 months at a time with total confidence he could
recoup full condition and strength in a few weeks time . Not your average individual . Would suggest the
following :
Train 3 times per week
Limited # of compound exercises (4-6)
Set short term goals for solid bodyweight increases and concentrate on measurable strength increases.
Increase BW and strength slowly and avoid bulk/cut. Cycle training Mon. heavy / Wed. medium /Fri. light
Layoff every 8 weeks (1 week).If the goal is bodybuilding competition then you have a built in barometer on
how your doing via the results . If you want to replicate the look of someone else's physique you may have to be
satisfied with looking like yourself , which in your case is a good thing . Good luck ...

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sun May 29, 2016 12:52 am

A cadaver like Vince? What are you talking about? Vince looked great, even when he was 80. Not optimal, but still great for 80! And, the eat right for your blood type is total crap. Zero science to back it up.

What exactly are your goals? Hard to give advice, if you can't tell us what your goals are. Saying you want to look like Steve Reeves is everyone's "goal" but it has to be tempered by who you are. For instance, Steve was 6' 1", so you have three inches to grow, and at 17 that is possible, though not immediately.

YoungCadine

Post by YoungCadine » Sun May 29, 2016 2:50 am

Talbot wrote:A cadaver like Vince? What are you talking about? Vince looked great, even when he was 80. Not optimal, but still great for 80! And, the eat right for your blood type is total crap. Zero science to back it up.

What exactly are your goals? Hard to give advice, if you can't tell us what your goals are. Saying you want to look like Steve Reeves is everyone's "goal" but it has to be tempered by who you are. For instance, Steve was 6' 1", so you have three inches to grow, and at 17 that is possible, though not immediately.
The cadaver reference wasn't meant to offend anybody, and Vince did look great but obviously he was bone dry at the time and shredded, he would have been more appeciated during today's time. I enjoyed Vince's diet and I did follow it religiously in an effort to shred whatever fat I did have, and it did work really well. Yeah my entire family is super tall, it's weird. My dad's 6'2 or taller not sure, mom is 5'9, brother is 6'3, uncle is 6'7, my 13 year old niece is 6'1, but my grandfather was 5'10 the same height as me so not sure. Maybe I'll grow another 3 inches lol. I got my bone frame and muscle insertions from my father, who's a very heavy-set individual. He like myself, has very thick wrists and ankles, broad shoulders and diamond shaped calf insertions, wide lats, peaked biceps etc. I don't know if it's strange to inherit height from your grandfather and body shape and muscle insertions from your father, or what could have happened. I want a look similar to what Steve Reeves had, size shape and muscle symmetry with equally developed muscle groups and while having a lean beach-like physique to boot. Again there's so much information that counters each other, just leaving my head spinning like crazy, so I basically rely on how I feel and my stomach to determine what foods I do eat. I've always looked up to Steve Reeves, even before I got obsessed with the whole crazy Ronnie Coleman Mr. Olympia body dysmorphia trend and even before dwelling into the pre 40's (prehistoric) strongmen that attracted me to this site. Watching the movie Hercules with my godfather was actually the reason I got interested in bodybuilding. At the time seeing Steve Reeves and his massive proportional physique, wide thick lats and broad chest put me at awe. Kind of like a teenage girl seeing Taylor Lautner for the first time when Twilight was released :roll:, but he was my original inspiration and then everything really came after that for me, that's why I want to know more about him. I figured all I needed to know was online, as he's arguably the most well known bodybuilder of the golden era, but there's so much more to him and his character. I'm sure if he were still alive today, he'd still have lots of wisdom to spread about nutrition, training and bodybuilding. If only, if only.

I was thinking to go with Steve Reeves's macronutrient recommendations. 60% carbohydrate, 20% protein and 20% fat. I'm lactose intolerant and get terrible stomach pains, cramps and gas all day, so dairy elimination was a definite for me. My stomach churns inside out and I get ill from oatmeal, even with water without anything else, it's too rough on my stomach for some reason. I get rashes and hives when I eat regular bread and wheat, all over my back and arms I get zits and I break out, so I eliminated that. I basically now just eat plenty of fruits, vegetables , meats, (mainly beef, lamb and mutton in various forms, turkey, cod and other fatty fish), along with nuts and certain grains like rice (sprouted in various forms), and quinoa, flax, buckwheat (I'm Bulgarian so this is a staple). I found this new brown rice hot cereal which is pretty good. If you guys could give me any suggestions on what I should do, workout routines I should follow etc. I understand that how he looks is a byproduct of his genetics, but I just want a place to be told what I should do and be given definite advice, rather than spinning my head with the thousands of articles out on the internet about how I should train, what I should eat and do and how I should diet. I'd like to go by how I feel, I mean I've always felt right doing 3 days a week full body and eating a mixed diet, but there's so much information suggesting otherwise. I need to isolate this, drop that, eat this, or I'll lose muscle on this bodypart etc. I wish bodybuilding was as simple as possible but unfortunately for me it's beginning to be a nightmare.

YoungCadine

Post by YoungCadine » Sun May 29, 2016 2:56 am

sticksb wrote:Reeves had a unique genetic footprint . What he had would be hard for anyone to duplicate
regardless of how they ate or trained . Steve gained on a high volume full body routine three
day a week schedule . He devoted everything to training , worried little about outside work or
school . Rested and slept a lot during what was typically a 6-8 week cycle of total ass busting.
He ate well and practically anything he wanted and occasionally supplemented with eggs/orange juice
mixed with Knox gelatin . He also would layoff for 4-6 months at a time with total confidence he could
recoup full condition and strength in a few weeks time . Not your average individual . Would suggest the
following :
Train 3 times per week
Limited # of compound exercises (4-6)
Set short term goals for solid bodyweight increases and concentrate on measurable strength increases.
Increase BW and strength slowly and avoid bulk/cut. Cycle training Mon. heavy / Wed. medium /Fri. light
Layoff every 8 weeks (1 week).If the goal is bodybuilding competition then you have a built in barometer on
how your doing via the results . If you want to replicate the look of someone else's physique you may have to be
satisfied with looking like yourself , which in your case is a good thing . Good luck ...
Thanks sticks, at my stage is a 2 lb a month gain too much? And how much should I raise weight?
I was thinking of doing something like this, an intermediate full-body routine that Reeves followed around my age.

Warm-Up: Dumbbell Swings Exercises

1. Upright Rowing - 3 sets, 15-20 reps (use moderate weight)
2. Bench Press - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
3. 1 Arm Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
4. Dumbbell Flyes - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
5. Incline Press - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (decreasing weight each set)
6. Triceps Pushdowns - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
7. Barbell Curls - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
8. Seated Dumbbell Curls - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
9. Full Squats - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
superset with:
10. Pullovers - 3 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
11. Breathing Squats - 1 set, 20 reps (amwp)
superset with:
12. Breathing Pullovers - 1 set 20 reps (amwp)
13. Deadlifts, 2 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)
14. Good Mornings - 2 sets, 8-12 reps (amwp)

Thanks

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun May 29, 2016 4:57 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (88.06 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
Your routine is fine . Here's one I followed 35 years ago . This "Reevesque"
routine was fun for a change but after a few weeks it was back to Squat/Press/Pull and
several cold ones ...Good Luck

YoungCadine

Post by YoungCadine » Sun May 29, 2016 5:43 pm

sticksb wrote:
IMG.jpg
Your routine is fine . Here's one I followed 35 years ago . This "Reevesque"
routine was fun for a change but after a few weeks it was back to Squat/Press/Pull and
several cold ones ...Good Luck
Thanks Sticks, any suggestions to my diet?

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun May 29, 2016 7:21 pm

HEY GABRIEL,
WELL YOU CERTAINLY HAVE DONE SOME EXPERIMENTING IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS. WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO MAKE A FEW SUGGESTIONS THAT MAY BE OF USE TO YOU. OVER THE PAST 50 YEARS I HAVE HELPED QUITE A FEW YOUNG AND NOT SO YOUNG TO OBTAIN PRETTY MUCH THEIR POTENTIAL IN STRENGTH AND PHYSIQUE SO I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO PINPOINT A FEW DETAILS THAT CAN HELP ANYONE I FEEL.
MANY OF US GOT MESSED UP BY READING THE GLOSSY MUSCLE MAGS AND CHAMPS ROUTINES AND NOW THE INTERNET GURUS ARE DOING THE SAME. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND TAKE IT ALL WITH A PINCH OF SALT. FIND A BASIC ROUTINE THAT WORKS AND STAY WITH IT LONG ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WORK. CHOPPING AND CHANGING EVERY MONTH WILL GET YOU NOWHERE. ALSO JUST BECAUSE A ROUTINE WORKED FOR A CHAMP DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL DO THE SAME FOR YOU. STOP AGONIZING ABOUT THE PERFECT ROUTINE OR SYSTEM AS IT DOES NOT EXIST. THROUGHOUT YOUR TRAINING LIFE YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ADJUSTING YET THERE ARE PRINCIPLES WE CAN ALWAYS APPLY WHICH I WILL DETAIL SOON.RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR TRAINING KNOWING THAT BEING STRONG AND HEALTHY WILL ENHANCE YOUR LIFE NOT TAKE IT OVER. YOU ARE IN YOUR BEST GROWING YEARS SO MAKE THE BEST OF THEM AND DO NOT WASTE TIME OR ENERGY WORRYING NEEDLESSLY OR TRYING TO FORCE THINGS TO HAPPEN. ENJOY THE JOURNEY.
AT YOUR AGE I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT BEING RIPPED OR WHATEVER.FIRST BUILD SOME SERIOUS STRENGTH AND MUSCLE THEN YOU CAN FOCUS ON DETAIL. A GOOD DIET WILL KEEP YOU LEAN AS YOU BUILD UP. GIVE YOURSELF SOME GOALS THAT KEEP YOU ON TRACK SUCH AS 200LB BODY WEIGHT, WHICH WOULD BE GREAT AT YOUR HEIGHT. AIM TO ADD 50LB TO YOUR SQUAT AND DEADLIFT AND 20LB TO YOUR OVERHEAD PRESS ETC. BREAK IT DOWN INTO 5LB INCREASES AND WHEN YOU REACH YOUR GOAL AIM FOR THE NEXT 50LB AND SO ON. WHEN YOU ARE HANDLING SOME SERIOUS WEIGHT IN THESE TYPE OF EXERCISES YOU WILL HAVE DEVELOPED SOME SERIOUS MUSCLE. SEE YOURSELF REACHING EACH GOAL, BELIEVE IT AND WORK TOWARDS IT STEP BY STEP AND BE PATIENT, RESULTS WILL COME IN TIME IF YOU CAN BUCKLE DOWN AND STAY THE COURSE.
CHOOSE EXERCISES THAT GIVE MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK. FORGET THE CABLE CROSSOVERS AND TRICEPS KICK BACKS USE THE TRIED AND TESTED BASICS THAT INVOLVE A LOT OF MUSCLE MASS. ALSO INSTEAD OF THINKING IN BODY PARTS THINK OF LEG/PUSH/PULL AS THIS WILL SWITCH THE FOCUS TO OVERALL DEVELOPMENT. THESE ARE THE STAPLES UNTIL ENOUGH SIZE/STRENGTH HAS BEEN REACHED.
TRAIN 3 BUT NO MORE THAN 4 DAYS A WEEK OR YOU COULD ALSO DO EVERY THIRD DAY WHICH ALSO WORKS WELL. KEEP TRAINING SESSIONS BRIEF. IF YOU USE THE BIG EXERCISES YOU DO NOT NEED A LOT TO GET THE JOB DONE. 60-70 MINUTES SHOULD BE PLENTY. REMEMBER IT IS NOT THE AMOUNT OF WORK DONE BUT HOW MUCH EFFORT IS PUT INTO THAT TIME.
STRIVE TO ADD A BIT OF WEIGHT OR AN EXTRA REP OR TWO EACH WEEK. DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EACH WORKOUT BUT MUST BE PROGRESSIVE WEEK BY WEEK. DO NOT RUSH THIS LEARN AND KEEP GOOD FORM AND DO NOT FOOL YOURSELF BY CHEATING THE WEIGHT UP.OWN THE WEIGHT THEN ADD A BIT MORE CONTINUOUSLY UNTIL YOU REACH THE GOAL FOR THAT PERIOD.
TAKE A BREAK BEFORE YOU BECOME STALE OR BURNED OUT. THIS COULD BE EVERY 6-8 WEEKS. A COMPLETE WEEK OFF. COME BACK RENEWED BUT REDUCE THE WEIGHTS FOR THE FIRST FEW SESSIONS AND KEEP THE SAME EXERCISES WITH A NEW POUNDAGE GOAL FOR THAT NEW PERIOD. FORGET MUSCLE CONFUSION, THERE IS NO VALUE IN CHANGING EXERCISES WHILE YOU ARE ABLE TO KEEP ON IMPROVING. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO STAY ON THE ROUTINE PRETTY MUCH FOR A YEAR OR SO BUT CHANGING SET/ REP SCHEMES CAN BE HELPFUL. EVEN AFTER A YEAR YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE ALL THE ROUTINE JUST A FEW AT A TIME. THIS IS MORE MENTAL THAN PHYSICAL THOUGH.
GET ENOUGH QUALITY REST AND SLEEP. YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING JUST NOT ALL AT ONCE. IF GETTING BIGGER AND STRONGER IS THE GOAL MAKE SURE YOUR LIFE IS IN BALANCE. REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY PART OF YOUR LIFE AND YOU HAVE FAMILY COMMITMENTS, STUDIES ETC. TRAINING 3X A WEEK FOR 60- TO 90 MINUTES TOPS WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE A LIFE.
STAY AWAY FROM THE BRO SITES AND THE DRUG SITES THEY WILL ONLY DO YOUR HEAD IN. KEEP IT SIMPLE BRIEF, HARD, HEAVY, PROGRESSIVE TRAINING, ENOUGH REST/RECUPERATION, ADEQUATE NUTRITION, FOCUS AND CONCENTRATION AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. IF YOU READ BOOKS ON TRAINING THEN GO NO FURTHER THAN SUPER SQUATS BY RANDY STROSSEN, DINOSAUR TRAINING AND CHALK AND SWEAT BY BROOKS KUBIK, THE STRONGEST SHALL SURVIVE BY BILL STARR.BETWEEN THOSE YOU WILL HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION TO KEEP YOU GOING A VERY LONG TIME.
THESE ARE THE EXERCISES I WOULD CHOOSE FROM FOR THE LOWER BODY PUSH AND PULL.
SQUAT BACK/FRONT, DEADLIFT REGULAR/STIFF LEG, ROWING BARBELL/DUMBBELL, OVERHEAD PRESS, BENCH PRESS OR INCLINE PRESS, PULL UPS, DIPS, POWER CLEANS. ADD A LITTLE WORK FOR ABS, NECK, GRIP AND IF YOU MUST A FEW SETS OF CURLS BUT YOU WILL BE HITTING YOUR ARMS HARD WITH HEAVY PUSHING AND PULLING. FOR TRICEPS A COUPLE OF CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS AT THE END OF THE REGULAR BENCH PRESS WILL BE MORE THAN ENOUGH. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CREATING TWO ROUTINES AND ALTERNATING THEM WORKOUT TO WORKOUT BUT 5 0R 6 EXERCISES + SOME ASSISTANCE WORK WILL BE ENOUGH IF YOU TRULY PUT EVERYTHING INTO IT.
EG. W/0 ONE
BACK SQUAT, 5X6, BARBELL ROW 4X6, BENCH PRESS 4X6, CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS 2X8, PULL UP 3X10, FEW SETS OF GUT AND GRIP WORK OF CHOICE.
W/O TWO
DEADLIFT 5X6, OVERHEAD PRESS 5X6, POWER CLEAN 5X3, DIPS 3X10, BARBELL CURL 3X8. GUT/ GRIP/ NECK WORK OF CHOICE.
SIMPLE YES, BRIEF YES, EASY NO IF YOU PUT EVERYTHING INTO IT, PRODUCTIVE YES IF YOU WORK HARD ENOUGH ON IT.
ALL OF THE GREATS BUILT THEMSELVES UP WITH POWER BODYBUILDING ROUTINES SUCH AS THESE THEN THEY WORKED ON REFINEMENT LATER. GRIMEK, ROSS, ROBERTS, PARK, EIFERMAN, DELINGER ETC ALL USED HEAVY WEIGHTS AND BASIC ROUTINES AT FIRST. WHY WASTE SO MUCH TIME SKIPPING FROM PROGRAM TO PROGRAM WHEN ALL YOU NEED IS TO STICK WITH SOMETHING AND MAKE IT WORK WITHOUT TAKING OVER YOUR LIFE.
BY THE WAY LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE GETTING A BETTER HANDLE ON THE FOOD THING NOW. I TOO CANNOT TOLERATE GRAINS OR GRAIN PRODUCTS EXCEPT FOR WHITE BASMATI RICE, LOTS OF PROTEIN LOTS OF VEGETABLES WORKS FOR ME. AS USUAL VERY LONG WINDED FROM ME BUT YOU ASKED FOR GUIDANCE.WELL HERE IT IS NOW IT IS UP TO YOU.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi Peter.I must say that post has the most priceless information contained in it. I only wish you had been about when i first started training nearly 30 yrs ago. That post should be printed off and pinned to every gym wall and training diary in the world! Keep up the great advice,
Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3