TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by peter yates » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:08 pm

NEVER HAVING BEEN A FAN OF TECHNOLOGY I RESISTED USING A COMPUTER FOR QUITE A WHILE. HOWEVER IT IS THROUGH THE COMPUTER THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE SOME OUTSTANDING NEW FRIENDS WHILE KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH OLDER ONES.
THIS THANKSGIVING I TOOK AN 8 HOUR TRAIN JOURNEY FROM NEW YORK UPSTATE TO ROCHESTER TO SPEND TIME WITH TONY GRISWOLD, A FRIEND I MET IN JAPAN AND WITH WHOM I WENT TO LIVE IN CHINA. THANKSGIVING MORNING AFTER A HEARTY BREAKFAST WE DID A CONDITIONING WORKOUT IN ANTICIPATION OF THE DINNER HIS MOM WAS COOKING FOR THE FAMILY GET TOGETHER. WE STARTED OFF WITH ALTERNATED PULL UPS AND PUSH UPS WITHOUT REST DOING AS MANY AS WE COULD EACH ROUND FOR 4 ROUNDS. THAT GOT US PUMPED UP AND THE OLD HEARTS TICKING AWAY. THEN WE DID A KETTLEBELL COMPLEX WITH ONE BELL STARTING WITH CLEAN AND PRESS,GOBLET SQUAT, BENT OVER ROW, STIFF LEG DEADLIFT AND SWING.5 REPS EACH. TONY DID ONE THEN I WENT WHILE HE GOT HIS BREATH BACK THEN BACK IN FOR 4 ROUNDS. WE FINISHED OFF WITH SOME DEADLIFTS USING THE BAR AND BUMPER PLATES HE HAD GOT FROM STICKS EARLIER THIS YEAR.
TALKING OF STICKS, ON THE THE SATURDAY WE DROVE THE HOUR AND HAVE JOURNEY TO VISIT CHRIS NEAR SYRACUSE. CHRIS HAD MORE EQUIPMENT FOR TONY INCLUDING A POWER RACK, HEAVY DUTY POWERLIFTING BAR AND AN ORIGINAL GERARD TRAP BAR. TONY HAS BEEN OVERWHELMED BY THE GENEROSITY SHOWN BY CHRIS AND NOW HAS THE MAKINGS OF A FINE GARAGE GYM.
CHRIS AND I HAVE KNOWN EACH OTHER FOR SEVERAL YEARS WHEN WE WERE BOTH CONTRIBUTORS TO THE OLD MUSCLES OF IRON SITE. WE HAVE DONE SEVERAL PROJECTS TOGETHER AND HAD MANY INTERESTING PHONE CONVERSATIONS BUT THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME WE HAD MET IN PERSON AND IT WAS GREAT TO DO SO. AS WE ALL KNOW ON THE SITE CHRIS IS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND INVENTIVE WHEN IT COMES TO TRAINING EQUIPMENT DESIGN. HE INTRODUCED US TO THE "ORANGE DRAGON" AND INVITED US TO PLAY. CHRIS HAS CREATED A FULL BODY LEVERAGE TRAINING SYSTEM IN HIS POWER RACK THAT WORKS WONDERFULLY. THE NIGHT BEFORE I HAD NOT SLEPT WITH VOMITING AND DIARRHEA AND HAD EATEN NOTHING THAT DAY BUT AT THE SITE OF THE "ORANGE DRAGON" I JUST HAD TO HAVE A GO. SO WITH CHRIS LEADING WE TOOK TURNS ON THE FOLLOWING EXERCISES IN A PUSH PULL FASHION.
1 LEVERAGE PULL DOWN, REGULAR GRIP THEN PARALLEL GRIP.
2 " BENCH PRESS.
3 " SHRUG.
4 " OVERHEAD PRESS
THREE ROUNDS THEN WE ALSO DID SOME LEVERAGE DIPS. DESPITE THE LACK OF SLEEP AND FOOD I WAS REALLY FIRED UP AND THAT WAS MAINLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT I WAS TRAINING WITH TWO REALLY TOP PEOPLE AND THE ENTHUSIASM THAT WAS PERMEATING THE GYM. OF COURSE THE DRAGON WAS ALSO PLAYING ITS PART PROVIDING SOME GREAT VARIETY TO OLD STANDARDS AND I COULD FEEL AREAS OF MY BODY I DO NOT USUALLY FEEL WORKING.TONY PUMPS UP REALLY WELL AND YOU COULD SEE WHERE THE EXERCISES WHERE HITTING HIM THROUGH HIS SHIRT. BUT MAINLY IT WAS JUST GOOD TO BE TRAINING WITH GUYS WHO THINK AND TRAIN THE SAME. WE SPENT SOME TIME DISCUSSING MANY THINGS AND PUTTING THE WORLD TO RIGHT BEFORE IT ALL TOO QUICKLY CAME TIME TO LEAVE. THANKS CHRIS FOR A GREAT VISIT AND LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT TIME.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by sticksb » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:52 am

The pleasure was all mine . Many different gym configurations , many different friends and training partners
down in the little nook over the years . The spirits of partners past were very pleased with the new thanksgiving
wave . I must say this kind of visit is what keeps me ticking and motivated . Thanks Peter and Tony . Meanwhile
I'm having dinner with Miss January near the drawing board . I'll try to be a perfect gentleman . I said TRY. LOL

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:49 am

Thanks for sharing Peter, sounds like it was a great time with great friends and a great workout! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it and I hope you're feeling better now Peter! :)

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:33 am

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (65.28 KiB) Viewed 8107 times
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (97.9 KiB) Viewed 8107 times
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 8107 times
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (114.65 KiB) Viewed 8107 times
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (90.92 KiB) Viewed 8107 times
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg (103.35 KiB) Viewed 8107 times
Despite severe "leftovria turkeyitis" the stalwart power martial artists braved thanksgiving push pull to once again bring joy to the iron spirits that inhabit the basement Bostick Dungeon .

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Great photos Sticks, thanks for sharing them! The "Orange Dragon" looks like an awesome apparatus! 8-)

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:01 am

DannyBoy wrote:Great photos Sticks, thanks for sharing them! The "Orange Dragon" looks like an awesome apparatus! 8-)
It's basically a highly functional pile of junk . The leverage handles were salvaged off
of other projects that didn't work out . The key to the whole thing is the fifth pillar in the middle of the rack
that acts as a " tool bar " for extra attachments . Video demo coming ...

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:26 am

Since our visit I managed to score a replacement shrug bar and a catch of
Krailburg rubber bumpers . Tony also took with him a 7 foot x 1-3/8 " Black
Iron Strength bar I saw in the recycling bin at the scrapyard along with 2
Ivanko Olympic 5 kg collars . These were rescued from the smelters . I unfroze
the corroded revolving ends . All this stuff retails for north of $500.00 . People
have NO idea what they are pitching out so always keep your eyes peeled as
even in a crappy economic climate wastefulness exists .

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:13 am

sticksb wrote:
DannyBoy wrote:Great photos Sticks, thanks for sharing them! The "Orange Dragon" looks like an awesome apparatus! 8-)
It's basically a highly functional pile of junk . The leverage handles were salvaged off
of other projects that didn't work out . The key to the whole thing is the fifth pillar in the middle of the rack
that acts as a " tool bar " for extra attachments . Video demo coming ...
Well that's just a testament to your creativity & ingenuity that you're able to turn a pile of junk into a highly functional piece of workout equipment! I look forward to seeing the video demo. :)

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:09 pm

Sounds like an amazing day, good for you guys!

Sticks, I found some great iron at the local scrap yard, a bunch of "Wallingford Barbell" 50 lb. plates (Connecticut), a bunch of "Ferrigno Barbell" 50 lb. plates, and a bunch of Jubinville welded dumbbells. A friend found an old barbell from Sig Kleins gym in a NY scrapyard recently... Sold it for a small fortune...
---------
~Dave

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:08 pm

dhartnet wrote:Sounds like an amazing day, good for you guys!

Sticks, I found some great iron at the local scrap yard, a bunch of "Wallingford Barbell" 50 lb. plates (Connecticut), a bunch of "Ferrigno Barbell" 50 lb. plates, and a bunch of Jubinville welded dumbbells. A friend found an old barbell from Sig Kleins gym in a NY scrapyard recently... Sold it for a small fortune...
That's "sunray" Dave . Ultra
sweet ! Years ago in East Syracuse we were pulling a Sears bench top lathe out of an old basement . The old women
who had advertised it in the swap sheet told me she also had some " old dumbbells" in her furnace room . Low and behold there were about three dozen Billard and Healthways 10 and 25 # barbell plates (approx. 500#) rusting away . I intended
to give her an extra $50 but she wouldn't have it . "Just get em' out of here . You guys gotta carry em' up and out
so I don't want no money " ! The old man had to yell at us to set up the lathe when we got back because we got to busy cleaning and prepping the plates for painting . The lathe ? OH the LATHE !!! LOL