TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2085
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:12 pm

dhartnet wrote:Sounds like an amazing day, good for you guys!

Sticks, I found some great iron at the local scrap yard, a bunch of "Wallingford Barbell" 50 lb. plates (Connecticut), a bunch of "Ferrigno Barbell" 50 lb. plates, and a bunch of Jubinville welded dumbbells. A friend found an old barbell from Sig Kleins gym in a NY scrapyard recently... Sold it for a small fortune...
Wow, that's pretty sad that a vintage barbell from Sig Klein's gym ended up in a scrap yard (though I can imagine it wasn't the only one to), but it's great to hear that your friend saved it and sold it to someone who I assume will treasure it! :)

peter yates
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by peter yates » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:19 pm

HI GUYS,
ONE MAN'S JUNK AS THEY SAY. ALWAYS NICE TO GET A GOOD FIND OUT OF THE BLUE.WHEN I MOVED INTO THIS HOUSE IN 2005 AND WAS LOOKING FOR MORE WEIGHTS FOR THE NEW GARAGE GYM I CAME ACROSS A LOCAL GUY WHO WAS MOVING STATE AND HAD AROUND 500LB PLUS ASSORTED BARS TO GET RID OF. THIS GUY DID NOT TRAIN AND I THINK THE WEIGHTS HAD BEEN LEFT BY AN OLDER BROTHER. HE WAS ASKING 90 BUCKS WHICH IS A FAIR PRICE FOR THAT AMOUNT USED WEIGHTS. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN THE FIRST THING I SAW WAS A PAIR OF YORK DEEP DISH 45s AND A PAIR OF YORK OLYMPIC 35s.THE REST WERE BILLARD, LURIE, ROBERTS AND YORK STANDARD PLATES FROM 1.5 TO 25LB.THE BARS WERE ALL STANDARD AND THERE WERE PLENTY OF COLLARS. OBVIOUSLY HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT GEMS HE HAD AND JUST WANTED THEM GONE. I ASKED IF THERE HAD BEEN ANY MORE OF THE YORK OLYMPIC PLATES AND A BAR BUT HE HAD NO IDEA. THE OTHER WEEK A NEIGHBOR ASKED IF I WANTED SOME WEIGHTS HIS SON HAD LEFT YEARS AGO. WHEN HE BROUGHT THEM THEY WERE THE PLASTIC COATED CONCRETE MOSTLY BUT IN WITH THEM WERE TWO BUR 10s AND SOME SMALL BILLARD DIMPLE PLATES. HAPPY HUNTING.
REGARDS,PETER.
Peter Yates

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2085
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:12 pm

peter yates wrote:HI GUYS,
ONE MAN'S JUNK AS THEY SAY. ALWAYS NICE TO GET A GOOD FIND OUT OF THE BLUE.WHEN I MOVED INTO THIS HOUSE IN 2005 AND WAS LOOKING FOR MORE WEIGHTS FOR THE NEW GARAGE GYM I CAME ACROSS A LOCAL GUY WHO WAS MOVING STATE AND HAD AROUND 500LB PLUS ASSORTED BARS TO GET RID OF. THIS GUY DID NOT TRAIN AND I THINK THE WEIGHTS HAD BEEN LEFT BY AN OLDER BROTHER. HE WAS ASKING 90 BUCKS WHICH IS A FAIR PRICE FOR THAT AMOUNT USED WEIGHTS. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN THE FIRST THING I SAW WAS A PAIR OF YORK DEEP DISH 45s AND A PAIR OF YORK OLYMPIC 35s.THE REST WERE BILLARD, LURIE, ROBERTS AND YORK STANDARD PLATES FROM 1.5 TO 25LB.THE BARS WERE ALL STANDARD AND THERE WERE PLENTY OF COLLARS. OBVIOUSLY HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT GEMS HE HAD AND JUST WANTED THEM GONE. I ASKED IF THERE HAD BEEN ANY MORE OF THE YORK OLYMPIC PLATES AND A BAR BUT HE HAD NO IDEA. THE OTHER WEEK A NEIGHBOR ASKED IF I WANTED SOME WEIGHTS HIS SON HAD LEFT YEARS AGO. WHEN HE BROUGHT THEM THEY WERE THE PLASTIC COATED CONCRETE MOSTLY BUT IN WITH THEM WERE TWO BUR 10s AND SOME SMALL BILLARD DIMPLE PLATES. HAPPY HUNTING.
REGARDS,PETER.
Wow, that was an incredible deal you got on 500lb+ assorted vintage weights & bars. Great find there. :)

Shibumipro
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by Shibumipro » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:02 pm

Great visit and workout with Peter and Chris. Chris special thanks for the additional gear, the garage gym/rack is looking good. Working on getting a middle bar so plates line up (currently can't find a wrench to make them even) and really enjoying the options the rack and the tri-bar are giving me:) Thanks again and look forward to coming out again soon to work out and this time play some guitar:)

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2085
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Shibumipro wrote:Great visit and workout with Peter and Chris. Chris special thanks for the additional gear, the garage gym/rack is looking good. Working on getting a middle bar so plates line up (currently can't find a wrench to make them even) and really enjoying the options the rack and the tri-bar are giving me:) Thanks again and look forward to coming out again soon to work out and this time play some guitar:)
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard, especially being that you're a friend of Peter & Sticks! :)

peter yates
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by peter yates » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Shibumipro wrote:Great visit and workout with Peter and Chris. Chris special thanks for the additional gear, the garage gym/rack is looking good. Working on getting a middle bar so plates line up (currently can't find a wrench to make them even) and really enjoying the options the rack and the tri-bar are giving me:) Thanks again and look forward to coming out again soon to work out and this time play some guitar:)
Hey Tony,
welcome to the forum and glad you made it hear.Great bunch and you will fit right in. Looking forward to the next time we can get together and train enjoy your new toys courtesy of Chris.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by sticksb » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:24 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (199.58 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Giving thanks for training partners.

User avatar
Harry Hayfield
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:17 am
Location: Llanrhystud, Ceredigion, Wales
Contact:

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 am

Not just friends, but anyone who is more experienced about training would be high up on my list as well.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

User avatar
dhartnet
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:48 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by dhartnet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:05 am

DannyBoy wrote:
dhartnet wrote:Sounds like an amazing day, good for you guys!

Sticks, I found some great iron at the local scrap yard, a bunch of "Wallingford Barbell" 50 lb. plates (Connecticut), a bunch of "Ferrigno Barbell" 50 lb. plates, and a bunch of Jubinville welded dumbbells. A friend found an old barbell from Sig Kleins gym in a NY scrapyard recently... Sold it for a small fortune...
Wow, that's pretty sad that a vintage barbell from Sig Klein's gym ended up in a scrap yard (though I can imagine it wasn't the only one to), but it's great to hear that your friend saved it and sold it to someone who I assume will treasure it! :)
Yes, a friend bought it, and had it restored, an amazing collectible for sure...
---------
~Dave

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2085
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:03 am

dhartnet wrote:
DannyBoy wrote:
dhartnet wrote:Sounds like an amazing day, good for you guys!

Sticks, I found some great iron at the local scrap yard, a bunch of "Wallingford Barbell" 50 lb. plates (Connecticut), a bunch of "Ferrigno Barbell" 50 lb. plates, and a bunch of Jubinville welded dumbbells. A friend found an old barbell from Sig Kleins gym in a NY scrapyard recently... Sold it for a small fortune...
Wow, that's pretty sad that a vintage barbell from Sig Klein's gym ended up in a scrap yard (though I can imagine it wasn't the only one to), but it's great to hear that your friend saved it and sold it to someone who I assume will treasure it! :)
Yes, a friend bought it, and had it restored, an amazing collectible for sure...
Great, I'm certainly glad to hear that! :)

Post Reply