TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

Mathews

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Post by Mathews » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:06 pm

I go to the gym with people that are healthy competitors - with ppl like those it's easy to move the bar higher! But those who just sit on the equipment with their phones....ahhhh...

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 pm

I have spent much of my training life by myself and have never had a problem with motivation or getting the job done.In many ways i enjoy the quiet time with myself and find it a meditative experience.Having said that i do really enjoy those times when i can get together with like minded souls and have a cracking training session.On my recent trip to England i did just that first at a great gym in the Isle of Man run by a young Irish man named Darren Murphy. At Darren's i did 3 classes in a row of his excellently thought out circuit training.A good mixture of body weight movements, weights,battle ropes,heavy balls etc. 45 minutes non stop but i kicked it each time along with about 40 others in the group. I had several brutal weight sessions with my nephew Tez Aldcroft,who is a real strong guy and we really pushed each other to dig a little deeper and force out the reps we thought we could not do.While very pleased to Visit Tom Balchin's barbell museum the icing on the cake was being asked to join him in a workout,a heavy duty session of squats,seated thick bar press and trap bar deadlifts. Again with Tom's encouragement i did more than i would have managed on my own. Last but not least was the great session i had with my old pal Kev Fitzgerald. Thick bar overhand deadlifts, squats using his special frame, and a combination of inverted rowing and decline pushups being the meat of things.Once more having someone on the same wavelength allowed for a good showing,Besides i could not let an 82 year old put me to shame.Well he does anyway.So while i do enjoy training alone having one or two partners with the same mind set can really perk up one's training and allow reaching for that bit extra.As many of us train alone how do others feel about this subject?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Oh,i forgot to mention the amazing strength feats i witnessed at David Gentle,s house.I was telling him what a strong grip Tom Balchin has when he said "Just look what i can do," whereby he took me into his shed out the back and proceeded to lift an anvil by the horn with only 2 fingers and a thumb.Following that he pulled a 3 strand expander with only the thumb and index finger of each hand.Well i was proper gobsmacked. Amazing feats for anyone and luckily i was quick with the camera and recorded the event for posterity. David has the photos and i am sure will proudly post them at some early opportunity.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:34 pm

thumbnail_IMG_1937.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1937.jpg (282.05 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:39 pm

thumbnail_IMG_1938.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1938.jpg (279.71 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
Oh the strength of that guy. DG
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Here is the proof!What power.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:14 pm

While like most of us i train alone most of the time,i really enjoy getting together with those of like mind and similar work ethic to blast out a session. Yesterday my mate Lou Pontillo came around to visit and as usual we ended up training together.Lou lives in Maine so was not phased by the freezer like temperature of my gym. No matter we still did a very thorough warm up after first warming our clothes up in the dryer.After seeing a recent clip on Ian Duckett's Old but Strong Youtube, Plus recent conversations with Sticks, i have been going back and looking at some of my old training routines. I had put together a combination of two whole body workouts i had done in the past with friends,one an Estonian the other Japanese. Both of these men knew how to train and i have had many good sessions with them. One of the benefits of having a partner[or two] is the pacing and keeping each other moving throughout the session. Anyway this was the workout and with warm up included it took just an hour but we we were thoroughly worked from top to bottom. We went set for set and that was the only rest taken so by the end we were as Bob Hoffman used to say "Puffing,Panting and Perspiring.]
EZ bar curls alternated with EZ bar press.
Pull ups " " dips.
BB row " " incline DB press.
Rope squat " " back raise.
Lunge Squat " " heel raise
All the above done for 3sets each, reps varied but were in the 10 to 20 range.Rope squats are done holding a rope fixed to a post holding the two ends. Feet are about 6ins apart,back stays straight as you squat up and down with no lockout at the top.The rope is for balance only so must be held lightly, we wore weight vests for added resistance.
Hanging leg raise, roman chair sit up, ab wheel roll outs x 20 of each to finish.Banana, peanut butter and milk to follow. Great session.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 am

I'm hoping to get a session in with Laine Snook next week time allowing

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Hey Steve, that should be a good one.Let us know how it goes.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Mobster wrote:I'm hoping to get a session in with Laine Snook next week time allowing
Awesome. Perhaps a friendly little rolling thunder competition is in order? ;) :D