Tuck elbows on bench?

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

colinkbell

Tuck elbows on bench?

Post by colinkbell » Thu May 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi all, hoping the powerlifters here, current or retired, can answer this one.
Is it essential to tuck elbows if I am a raw only lifter? I tried it last night and it felt unusual. And by tuck I hope I have got it correct that I try to point inside of elbows ie bicep insertion inwards? I also tried squeezing shoulder blades together and it felt quite wobbly.
Thanks
Colin
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

David Gentle

Re: Tuck elbows on bench?

Post by David Gentle » Thu May 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi Colin, sounds exactly the opposite to what you really should do if you are benching dumbells. the method you suggest would be more pure triceps work, whereas with open elbows, you also use your pecs. I used to train alone a lot in a muddy floor "gym" to get the dumbells in place, i straddled the bench with a dumbell in each hand, sat back on bench at the same time sort of curling swinging the dumbells into place ready to lock arms before beginning the exercise. when i had enough, and i worked to max, i just dropped the dumb bells onto the dirt floor where they often got stuck in right up to the collars. great fun. dont do this style if you are training at home in your mums best room and her favourite carpet. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu May 25, 2017 7:49 pm

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (96.99 KiB) Viewed 7189 times
Elbow tuck ? I adopted my pushup position and it served me well . I started with a wide
grip and 90 degree elbows and it was murder on the a/c joints . The grip shown distributes
the payload very evenly among the working muscles . I benched 400# as a mid heavy (198)
and would have been seriously injured if I hadn't modified my grip (narrower) . Pinching the
shoulder blades may be well and good for arch de triumph benchers (bridgers) but flat on the
bench hip and back is the way to go for stability , not to contort to shorten the pathway.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu May 25, 2017 8:09 pm

A good rule of thumb (FOR ME) is to go 3 to 1 pulling to pressing for increasing the bench .
1. bench press 3 x 6-8
2. bent over row 3 x 6-8
3. single arm row 2 x 6 (hold in top position 3 sec. then lower very slowly)
4. one max set bar dips or triceps press down
5. hammer or barbell curl 2 x 6-8
6. dumbbell medley : 6 side raise 6 front raise x 2-3 cycles ...
The single arm row drill built great strength for the lowering and hold for clap .
I heard the clap a few times ( but never caught it ) BADDA BING !!! LOL

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Fri May 26, 2017 5:52 am

Before the shoulder issue... I started out wide grip and many years later realized I was tricep dominant and so used a closer and more tucked in grip.

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sat May 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks folks! I use a fairly narrow grip and don't arch much.

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm

Because of bad shoulders, I like a narrowish grip, when I come down, my hands touch the outside of my pecs/body.
Used to like wide grip, but that is what also ruined my shoulders. Good to experiment with different grips to see which one works best. (For both strength and comfort (or lack of injury).
---------
~Dave

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Wed May 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks men. Can I ask one more question please? I noticed tonight my arms were trembling during bench. Years ago I recall reading that this is a sign of a weak muscle group. But I can't remember which?

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed May 31, 2017 9:00 pm

colinkbell wrote:Thanks men. Can I ask one more question please? I noticed tonight my arms were trembling during bench. Years ago I recall reading that this is a sign of a weak muscle group. But I can't remember which?
Because you had 200kg on them for 10 reps ! Must be thinking about Pudgy S ...

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:10 am

colinkbell wrote:Thanks men. Can I ask one more question please? I noticed tonight my arms were trembling during bench. Years ago I recall reading that this is a sign of a weak muscle group. But I can't remember which?
Probably a stabilizing muscle such as the delts. More so if you've just switched to them / that style.