Expanders

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

Tom K

Re: Expanders

Post by Tom K » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:52 pm

I forgot that one of my old Reg park journals had an article on strand pulling. Linked below, unable to embed or attach as it's too large.

https://i.imgur.com/xDMw5by.jpg

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:18 pm

That's excellent Tom, thanks for posting. In some ways it's a little better than the 'official' Reg Park strand course!

Richie.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:09 am

Tom K wrote:I forgot that one of my old Reg park journals had an article on strand pulling. Linked below, unable to embed or attach as it's too large.

https://i.imgur.com/xDMw5by.jpg
Awesome, thanks for another great contribution Tom! :)

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:57 am

My expanders came yesterday.

I only managed to use 1 of the Terry's strands, and couldn't do one lateral raise with them. After starting off I thought it was quite easy, but after a few sets I really started sweating and straining! The bicep and triceps exercises feel really effective on this strand set.

It would be nice to track down some smaller increment strands to help with progression. I think I will add this 2x a week on top of my 3x a week weight training

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:32 pm

I have been having fun with the expanders, only really started seriously training with them the last 2 weeks. I found that my strands are 35lbs each, so progression with them is tough. I have found some Terrys expanders on ebay which are 20lbs each strand- I have not found any less than this. Hopefully 20lbs increments will be much easier. I still can't do a single lateral raise with 35lbs strand! At least with the 20lbs I will be able to go 20, 35, 40, 65 etc. Pity I can't find a 10lb strand for Terrys brand.

I have found that the rear delts take a punishing with strands, plus the RC muscles. I think I have to wait for these to adapt to the static holds and grip to adapt before I can really make progress. I am much weaker at strand pulling than weightlifting :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi Tom,
glad to hear you are enjoying the strand work.Yes they are a different animal than weights and target many smaller muscles that are more difficult to do with weights.That is why early trainers would always say to use barbells,dumbbells and strands for complete all round development.The whole shoulder girdle in particular is thoroughly worked including the Rotator cuff,providing a good base for heavy pressing and bench pressing as well as all pulling movements. An added benefit [as long as the diet is in place] is increased muscle definition.I had a Terry's set that had strands of different pulling strengths starting with 10lb. If you do not have small increments then you can either just keep building up the reps with the same resistance or better still use the GTG method and do several set sub max daily over a period of time.It is better only to do this with one,no more than two exercises at a time though. You can also try negatives for the lateral raise. To do this do a front pull, turn the palms down then slowly resist the strands down to the thighs. A real Delt blaster.Of course if you do get some lighter strands you will be OK. I have several sets of different strand strengths so use them to fit the exercise,which is also an option.Anyway,thanks for the update and please keep us posted.Anyone else working with strands?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:21 am

Should I put strandpullers and expanders on the list of things that my gym should order (to join the kettlebells)?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:Should I put strandpullers and expanders on the list of things that my gym should order (to join the kettlebells)?
Hi Harry, you could do.These days most people use the rubber type and call them cables or bands.Quite a few gyms have them, although if they can get the standard chest expander it would be good.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:43 pm

The lateral raise with expanders is an absolutely amazing isolation exercise on my right shoulder for some reason (the left as well of course, but I never feel it as much on the left). It is as though I can feel the muscle being pulled. For that reason I always do that exercise super slow - up and down (the down can get you just as much). I follow the double arm raise with single arm lateral raise with slight waist rotation (eyes follow raised hand). Single arm raises feel SO much easier after the double raises.

Progression feels good, as like you say, it is a one that is very difficult to start with.

Richie

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:52 pm

After a few weeks of starting with expanders, I went to the gym today and did some Db presses. My shoulders were a little sore so I thought I'd take care today with the presses.

I was meant to do 3x10 with 22.5kg but the first set felt so easy compared to the week before, I decided to up the weight.

Up went 3x6 with 27.5kg DB's and to be honest I think I could have done the 30kg's. My shoulders felt rock solid and the form was really good. The only reason I stopped at 6 reps was to make sure it wasn't too big a jump too quickly.

It looks like my RC muscles have strengthened a lot over the last 2 weeks! I can only say the strands are working.

I have a set of 20lbs strands coming so I look forward to using those. Definitely a overlooked training method. Perhaps Reg Park benefited from strands when he did 500lbs on the bench press