Expanders

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

sticksb

Re: Expanders

Post by sticksb » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:34 pm

Park did benefit from heavy SLOW front chest pulls bench press wise .
All benchers will benefit from this . The slow pull strengthens all the
major and minor muscles in the rear back & shoulder assembly plus
replicates a slow controlled lowering of the bar in the bench press.
A good superset combo would be :
3 sets front chest pull alternated with 3 sets of single strand push-ups .
You could also combo :
3 sets front chest pull with 3 sets close grip bench press (12" hand spacing)
or
3 sets front chest pull with 3 sets of barbell ( or e-z bar ) pullover & press .

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Internalfitness wrote:The lateral raise with expanders is an absolutely amazing isolation exercise on my right shoulder for some reason (the left as well of course, but I never feel it as much on the left). It is as though I can feel the muscle being pulled. For that reason I always do that exercise super slow - up and down (the down can get you just as much). I follow the double arm raise with single arm lateral raise with slight waist rotation (eyes follow raised hand). Single arm raises feel SO much easier after the double raises.

Progression feels good, as like you say, it is a one that is very difficult to start with.

Richie
Hi Richie, that is a good tip about the lateral raise,two arm version followed by single arm version.The cable version of lateral raise is much more effective than using DBs, in my case anyway.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Tom K wrote:After a few weeks of starting with expanders, I went to the gym today and did some Db presses. My shoulders were a little sore so I thought I'd take care today with the presses.

I was meant to do 3x10 with 22.5kg but the first set felt so easy compared to the week before, I decided to up the weight.

Up went 3x6 with 27.5kg DB's and to be honest I think I could have done the 30kg's. My shoulders felt rock solid and the form was really good. The only reason I stopped at 6 reps was to make sure it wasn't too big a jump too quickly.

It looks like my RC muscles have strengthened a lot over the last 2 weeks! I can only say the strands are working.

I have a set of 20lbs strands coming so I look forward to using those. Definitely a overlooked training method. Perhaps Reg Park benefited from strands when he did 500lbs on the bench press
Hi Tom, nice result but no surprise to me.As i mentioned previously strand pulling will benefit the whole shoulder girdle in ways not possible with other equipment.What you are able to press or bench press will be determined by the strength [or lack thereof] of the many smaller muscles that make up the shoulder girdle.Strands really enable these muscles to get the work they need and thus support the larger muscles we usually associate with pressing.Anyway glad you are having some nice carry over from the expander training.I hope we can stimulate more interest in them as they really are somewhat of a forgotten and under utilized piece of equipment in the main.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 pm

How do you guys improve the ease of changing strands out?

I have 2 handle sets, so I set one up with about 20lbs for lateral raises and curls, the other with about 70lbs currently for the heavier tricep and back pulls. But switching the strands out takes quite some time.

Apart from trying to get another set of handles, how do you get them off quickly? I have the Terrys brand and currently have to use a old Penny to try and prise the clips apart to get them strands off. Getting them on is easy enough...

It only adds a few minutes I guess, but it is annoying.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi Tom,
yes the change over on some strand sest can be annoying and another reason to train finger strength :D I have a few different sets so it is not so much a problem for me. I have one set that has shorter springs so i got a few small carabiners and attached them to the handles and the end of the springs.So now they are the ideal length and easier to change strands.As i know strands are going to be part of your on going training, you might want to check out The Hook from Sierra exercise company. A really great product and good customer service.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:26 pm

I have Terry's sets and Spenby sets and I've NEVER yet managed to get any strands on or off. All are 'as new' in spite of their age, so rather than get frustrated I just use as is - I have a 40, 60 and 100lb-er.

For usual practice however I use rubber stands and quick change handles.

An alternative, which is how I started, would be to do all of the exercises with the 20 but more reps/sets where it is far too easy. I got a set of single rubber strands off ebay covering 20lbs to 100lbs and went down to 30lbs for all of my exercises, then gradually built them up. I do 80lbs on all of my exercises now.

Richie.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:41 am

Tom
Go to "Grunt and Shen's" workshop and look at these cable sets he has for sale.
Surgical rubber expanders are very versatile and you can make many adaptable
pieces yourself . The quick on/off hook solves the quick change problem nicely .

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:35 pm

I received a lovely letter the other day from a gentleman in Australia named Laurie Smith. He had read my article on strands in the October Health & Strength magazine and wanted to get in touch with me and as he does not use a computer Ron Tyrrell gave him my address. David Gentle has also been corresponding with Laurie for many years.Anyway the relevance to this thread is that Laurie has been using and researching strands for many years and has amassed an enormous amount of information. His letter was full of such information, most of which i had never read or heard before. I wrote back and asked his permission to share what he had sent, which should not be a problem,and soon as i hear from him i will post the information. It has been a long time since i have used snail mail and it feels kinda nice.Laurie also sent me quite a few photo copies of photographs of athletes and actors who have used only strands over the years to develop their physiques.I have been adding more strand work into my training and loving it.Happy stretching.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:51 pm

We'll illustrate his notes Peter . Sticks

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:38 pm

peter yates wrote:I received a lovely letter the other day from a gentleman in Australia named Laurie Smith. He had read my article on strands in the October Health & Strength magazine and wanted to get in touch with me and as he does not use a computer Ron Tyrrell gave him my address. David Gentle has also been corresponding with Laurie for many years.Anyway the relevance to this thread is that Laurie has been using and researching strands for many years and has amassed an enormous amount of information. His letter was full of such information, most of which i had never read or heard before. I wrote back and asked his permission to share what he had sent, which should not be a problem,and soon as i hear from him i will post the information. It has been a long time since i have used snail mail and it feels kinda nice.Laurie also sent me quite a few photo copies of photographs of athletes and actors who have used only strands over the years to develop their physiques.I have been adding more strand work into my training and loving it.Happy stretching.
Regards,Peter.
Looking forwards to see that!