Expanders

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

David Gentle

Re: Expanders

Post by David Gentle » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Laurie Smith is a great knowledgeable guy and has helped me for years with info for various articles especially the one i do regularly in H&S, ie. Muscleaneous. re the changing of the usual clip type, you are right, some are really hard to open and last week i really strained my thumb trying to change the clip, i usually use a sort of short screw driver to lever the clip open, but being lucky and lazy, i have at least ten various sets, so i have them set up, as you would dumbells, ie. from various strengths easy to hard, Re the use, the fastest set of muscles i found grew using strands were triceps and the deltoids, i also have clips screwed into various beams in my den to slip one end of the strands to do downward triceps stretches. the hardest bit is to find a decent leg exercise and this is where our old china Sticks comes in as i am sure he will illustrate how you can have a flat board with some attatchments on it so you can do squats similarly as you would dumbell squats, also good for curls, Sticks will know what i am trying to get at. A great combination exercise after you have already pumped your legs, is to carry on free squats over a bench, no need to go too low, and at the same time, perform sets of press behind back. also strands are good to use in the normal chest pull exercise directly after any form of squats for great chest expansion. Dont fall into the trap of thinking strands are old fashioned, almost all competitive bodybuilders use their set of stands for a pre contest pump up. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:49 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (129.59 KiB) Viewed 7415 times

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:50 pm

IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 7415 times

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:00 pm

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (139.95 KiB) Viewed 7415 times
Peter Yates in conjunction with Jo-anne Feesey
@Health & Strength Magazine is serving the strand information market with Peter's regular
column " Cable Corner " . Here's some of the exercise drawings . The leg exercises and cable
platform David refers to can be seen on this forum by clicking to "Cool Tools #2" . This is a
nice , inexpensive easy to make device that adds a lot of movement possibilities . I'll add
some leg exercises to this thread shortly .

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 am

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (146.95 KiB) Viewed 7400 times
Wooden pulling platform that gives a barbell
capability to a steel spring cable set ...

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 am

With a set of rubber strands (surgical tubing) there's no drag or pinching together
when strands are ganged onto one eyelet . With steel springs you have to replicate
the set handles so springs don't interfere with each other and space them on the
wooden platform ...

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks Chris, excellent design. In the process of gathering materials for several of your cable projects. Strands are so versatile and offer a wide range of training options. I have been successful in getting people to train with strands when they had shown resistance[no pun intended] to other methods. Everyone, once trying them,loves how they feel.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:12 am

The only problem with rubber strands is that they do tend to get weaker over time. Everyone is aware of Thomas Inches famous challenge dumbells(s), but he also had a set of challenge strands which for a long time, no one but Inch could stretch, however along comes budding muscle man Reg Park, tries Tommies strands and literally pulls them apart, ie. busts them. Inch was quite good natured about the affair and asked Park now he had bust his rubber cables what would he (Tommy) use for the "pram" (baby buggy in that foregein language called American) if the supports went. Inch for the joke to be understood, was then about 60 and a bit past pushing any baby carriage. The best cable or strand i have seen is the one in one of Dave Websters books, a giant monster of a strand being back pulled by bodybuilder Arthur Robins. Re springs versus rubber strands, i prefer the steel springs as long as they have the safety item of the inside cable chord, but the down side is they do get tangled up when using and can make some nasty pinches in your back when performing say, back presses. I wish the site could discover some firm that supplies decent cables that have their poundages marked, also the idea of the Bartletts special handles was good allowing for variations in arm length. Monahar Aich a strand pulling champ, also had short arms which could have helped him over a long armed opponant. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi David, i, like you, really like the feel of spring cables,but as you say for some exercises they are not so efficient. I have used Lifeline rubber cables for quite a few years too, but the company changed hands and the product seems of much lower quality now and the cables do not last long especially at the part where they attach to the handles. My oldest spring set is from the 1950s and is in perfect condition as is one from the 80s.I know other members have older models still in good shape. One material that is very good and hard wearing is what Chris mentioned,surgical tubing. The Hook system from Tim Tackett's Sierra exercise company uses this medium for strands. David do you remember the rubber strand sets that had cloth around them? I bought my set out of H&S magazine in the 1960s,it came with foot stirrups,neck strap, a wooden bar for BB exercises and wall attachments.Anyway one thing for sure whatever the material strands are a great way to train and bring results.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:45 am

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 7267 times