Expanders

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

Tarnow

Re: Expanders

Post by Tarnow » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi Tom,

I'm afraid it's a waste of time. I am on the strandpulling forum on Tapatalk and members on that forum(noticed from previously unread thread) like me have tried to contact springmasters( as in last few months) and it seems that the springs are still advertised, but not in stock. Others got no reply. So unless you ordered 100s. They are not likely to produce ever again. I am lucky to have some variety of strengths and have recently added to my collection by buying some sets on eBay UK. Are you in USA? I have read nothing but positive feedback about Sierra. If you are in uk what was the postage cost and UK price for the items.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 am

Hi Tom, too bad about the springmasters. However glad to hear you got your HOOK set up and are happy with it.Quality equipment from Mr. Tackett.You can also use the hook handles with other types of bands to add to the versatility.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:15 am

Tarnow wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 pm
Hi Tom,

I'm afraid it's a waste of time. I am on the strandpulling forum on Tapatalk and members on that forum(noticed from previously unread thread) like me have tried to contact springmasters( as in last few months) and it seems that the springs are still advertised, but not in stock. Others got no reply. So unless you ordered 100s. They are not likely to produce ever again. I am lucky to have some variety of strengths and have recently added to my collection by buying some sets on eBay UK. Are you in USA? I have read nothing but positive feedback about Sierra. If you are in uk what was the postage cost and UK price for the items.
I am in the UK.

The postage was reasonable. $22. Its very well made equipment, so it is worth the money.

Unfortunately, customs got hold of mine and decided I needed to pay VAT on it which added £30 to the bill. But now I've got the set, if I ever needed a few extra strands, I'm sure it'll be no problem.

It is also versatile, you can loop the tubing together and make it long enough for push ups, also you can double them up, halving the length to make shorter pulls like "the archer" much more viable.

I'm sure it'll be possible to design a quick release system for steel strands.... Some sort of rock climbing carabiner maybe useful, if we can get them small enough to not add too much length to the pull... Or 6mm catenery wire with quick release gripple lock?that way you can pull it fairly tight. 6mm can hold 100kg,more if you loop it

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks for reply Tom. Yes customs is a killer. £30! I got stung on something from USA last year. Like yours postage cost was good, but customs stung me for more than postage. I have got round the changing of springs(like Peter has) by having many sets of handles. Which means I don't have to change springs. (Like having sets of dumbbells). They still take up no space! I also have the old ironmind cables (rubber) and changing them was such a pain it put me off. So having many sets prevents this, and I prefer the steel now. Or you can just buy the Hook. The best one piece strandpulling equipment I think. Especially for traveling.

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:21 pm

Its nearly May now. So I'm writing to report about my strandpulling since January. So in 3 1/2 months I have noticed some great success. Been doing training between 3 to 5 times a week. Only 1 set per exercise. I use steel spring sets, as although I have access to rubber. I prefer the smooth pull. Strandpulling is a excuse buster for exercise as it only takes about 15 mins. And can be done whatever the weather.
I have consistently used the fcp, ohp(knuckles in behind neck) and back press in every session. Exercises I have experimented with include front lateral, one arm curl, ohp to front, back lateral and front press.
I have experienced some lovely gains in shoulders, back, triceps and (bicep definition) And can testify to the speed at which cable use gets results.
I have now decided to change ohpd knuckles in to ohpd front knuckles out. And the back press to front press. I like these exercises more. I understand they use slightly different muscles, but they are also very similar. I think all front pulls feel better to me, especially with steel. The front press is so much more enjoyable than the back press. Does anybody else use the front press and not the more popular back? Also I think the front ohpd will give some more bicep and upper back work than the ohpd to back version (lats and triceps)as will likely drop the bicep curl. Another question O have is is I've gotten abdominal definition from strandpulling. Anyone else had similar? I feel from the bracing when you pull?
Anyway whatever happens will be keeping strandpulling in my life. Next 3 months a fcp,ohdp to front, front press routine will be my focus. Will check in again to comment and share results. All the best Mark

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 am

Forgot to mention in my post yesterday that besides cables improving the muscle groups of shoulders, back and triceps fantastically, and quickly. I can't praise them enough for improving my posture. I can't help but stand taller. I think the fcp should be a compulsory lift for everybody!

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed May 01, 2019 9:35 am

Professional quality bands such as those by Coresteady [on Ebay &c] are a worthwhile alternative to springs which is probably the main reason the latter are going out of fashion.
There are some serious poundages in the range and as the loops are the same size for the different poundages they can be mixed to together to the desired 'pull'.
Handles are available to make them operate like spring expanders but are not essential.

Handson

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi Mark,
nice to hear from you again and thanks for updating us on your progress. You have experienced some good results but that is not surprising to me as i know from my own experience how effective expanders are. I agree that everyone can benefit in some way from using them,even powerlifters as the the whole upper back and shoulder girdle is stabilized and that will help in the BP and keeping the scapula in a strong position for the final pull in the DL.Well for myself i find the back press more comfortable than the front press but the main thing is to do what feels best for you and brings results. Of course like you are doing and varying the pulls from time to time makes for more complete training. Are you doing any body weight training too? Anyway good results,keep us informed and good luck with your training.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 01, 2019 1:40 pm

Handson wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:35 am
Professional quality bands such as those by Coresteady [on Ebay &c] are a worthwhile alternative to springs which is probably the main reason the latter are going out of fashion.
There are some serious poundages in the range and as the loops are the same size for the different poundages they can be mixed to together to the desired 'pull'.
Handles are available to make them operate like spring expanders but are not essential.

Handson
Thanks for the heads up on that company.
Peter Yates

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Wed May 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi Peter,
I am the opposite and find the back press more uncomfortable, and it irritates my elbow. Although I am still doing it. The best advice regarding exercise selection is "the best exercise is the one you do". Couldn't agree more. As you may remember I have been 100% bodyweight the last two years. I am still doing it but much more infrequently. (Once a week)I think two reasons. A change is as good as a rest. And secondly the weather (winter) combined with cables convenience.
I have enjoyed strandpulling immensely and used it almost exclusively since January. (My lower body has suffered). But now the weather is better I will go back to my original plan of bodyweight and strandpulling. That's why I need to narrow it down to 3 exercises. As I do 5/6 now. I believe strandpulling can definitely work as a stand alone method for the upper body. But not lower body. Plan for the next three months will be bodyweight squat, calf, chin and dip X 2/3 times a week. Strandpulling will be fcp, ohdp to front, front press X2/3 times a week. As a standalone routine. Will let you know how it goes. But this strandpulling is addictive 😀