Expanders

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Expanders

Post by peter yates » Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi Mark,sounds like a good plan. Nice balance of expanders and B/W training. It is possible to give the legs a good workout with cables but needs a bit of creativity and effort to fix up a platform with hooks so you can do deadlifts and hack squats. If you check Sticks illustrations on the site you will find some good ideas.Also the Grunt&Shen workshop site features some interesting home made apparatus that will work the legs via strands. As for B/W exercises it is hard to beat one leg squats for leg development. If it is hard to do them standing on the floor you can start like Paul Anderson did them by standing on a table or high bench with the free leg hanging down. Anyway you know what you are doing so good training mate.
Peter.
Peter Yates

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi Peter,
Yes I know you can do leg exercises with cables as I have done some in the past. But they're not for me. I prefer bodyweight exercises now. The one leg squat I do and is an excellent leg exercise. And I have gotten better calf development from one leg calf raises than I ever got from weights. If you like weights for training can't recommend enough the trap bar deadlift. Which was my go to leg exercise for over 10 years. I came across an article on Tapatalk strandpulling forum yesterday were Brad Reid mentions an article his dad Jack wrote about four exercise he believed were mass makers which couldn't be performed by other methods. They were the overhead pulldown to chest, front chest pull, back press and front press. Performed in that order. So I was thinking that maybe I should persist with the back press. I think it might be the starting position that is the problem. So I am going to experiment by using rings to extend the springs. Because when I have used rubber on the back press it wasn't a problem. The reason being I think that the cables are longer and so the starting position is easier and less cramped than with the springs. Being shorter is good on the pulls, but maybe not for the back press? Out interest how tucked in on your arms to your sides on the back press. Brad also says the front press and back although the same movement do work slightly different muscles like the front and back overhead pulldown. And to do both!
Regards Mark

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Thu May 02, 2019 5:24 pm

Just tried the back press with split rings to extend the springs. Worked a treat 😀 Just those 2/3 extra inches in length made it easier to get the cables into position and left me less cramped. Will try it tomorrow as a workout with the four exercises in that order.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi Mark,
yes i figured you would have tried a few things out.Totally agree about the trap bar. One of those inventions that came out of necessity and benefited thousands of trainees.Brad Reid certainly knew what he was talking about and built a terrific upper body that rivaled the best bodybuilders of his time,and you certainly cannot go wrong with the big 4 he recommends.Glad you sorted out the back press mate,where there is a will there is a way.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Fri May 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi Peter,
Yes I am glad to. Because the back press is a great exercise. And was actually one of the main reasons I went back to try strandpulling again. Because it's a big movement that works the shoulders lateral head. Something missing from bodyweight training unless you do handstand push-ups. Brad is a great guy to have (like yourself) to bounce ideas off and give advice from his own experiences and his father's. I think this routine could be a doozy. I don't really like isolation exercises much. Always preferred compound moves in weights and bodyweight. So these big 4 are compound exercises for strandpulling.
Regards Mark

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm

After training today I thought I would share my journey through expander training. Here is a picture of me at about 29 I think. What I had benefitted most from up to this point was...being young!
Pre Body 2.jpg
Pre Body 2.jpg (34.58 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Fast forward about 8 years and I was looking for something to 'do' other than lift weights; I have never lifted weights with any degree of consistency - I'm the guy that would do a gym workout but forget what I'd done, and certainly never do sets. So I wanted something I could do at home, wouldn't take up a lot of space and that was at least slightly progressive in nature.

I got one of those cheap 5 banded rubber expanders - and immediately had to take 3 of the bands off! There was something about the training though that seemed to 'fit'. I enjoyed it. I wanted to do it again. It wasn't long before I was using all 5 bands, and then looking for something a bit more powerful.

Now I use a mixture of steel springs (eBay!) and the 'blue' (supposedly) 90lb Lifeline USA band. My routine of choice is the Reg Park System of Cable Training, mixed up every now and again with a mammoth Sandow inspired set. I'll throw in some press-ups, then some incline push-ups, then some 'Atlas' push-ups (or dips), but that's it really other than some Tai Chi inspired stretching and bending. I do 10-12 reps for each exercise, and rest about a minute in between exercises. Sometimes I'll do the routine 3 times a week, sometimes I'll do it twice.

At my '40th' health check I came out at 6'2" and 193 lbs with a 32" waist (not sure how she managed that - I think it's more 33-34). ALL of the changes I want to make (I would like to settle at a 32" waist to be honest) can be made with some dietary changes (I eat far too much, and not the right things), but for 40 years old I'm pretty happy.
Expander Body 1a.jpg
Expander Body 1a.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Expander Body 2a.jpg
Expander Body 2a.jpg (68.65 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Let me just point out I DETEST having my photo taken, even when it's me doing it! I still have hair as well btw! So, that's my glowing endorsement of chest expanders - would I have looked the same had I not used expanders; I doubt it, but I don't mind not knowing. I have NO shoulder, elbow, wrist or neck problems (in fact I blame the expanders for contributing to my bull neck!), and if there is even the slightest change the expanders are helping with this - I'll keep going; a couple of times a week for a single set of 10-12 reps at a time!

Richie.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi Richie, thanks for posting some of your journey and congratulations for finding something that fit and sticking with it. Regularity and consistency are what counts and you will only do that if you enjoy what you do and it works. The great thing is you can do this for another 40 years or more. If it was me i would add some pull ups and some leg work but what you are doing is fine.About the waist measurement,when someone else measures you it is interesting how the waist gets smaller and the chest gets bigger, :lol: Well for me anyway. ;)
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon May 13, 2019 4:07 pm

In the days when measurements counted, i remember someone saying, "If you measured your arm with a tape as tight as you measure your waist, there would have been a lot smaller arms" Richie, glad you are enjoying the training and making slow but steady progress which is noticable by the pix you sent in. Dont know what your nutrition balance is, often its what or how much we eat that makes a different in the muscle definition.When you have time , look back at some of our late Sticks drawings of apparatus designed to fit in with strands, the apparatus really does have a lot of positives going for it, well done mate. David GEntle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Handson

Post by Handson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:55 pm

peter yates wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:40 pm
Handson wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:35 am
Professional quality bands such as those by Coresteady [on Ebay &c] are a worthwhile alternative to springs which is probably the main reason the latter are going out of fashion.
There are some serious poundages in the range and as the loops are the same size for the different poundages they can be mixed to together to the desired 'pull'.
Handles are available to make them operate like spring expanders but are not essential.

Handson
Thanks for the heads up on that company.
It's worth mentioning for anyone uninitiated in strand/band pulling that it's essential to ensure the fixed end is secure when performing single end exercises as for example a curl.
Some years ago a chap I knew lost an eye and knocked himself spark out because his foot wasn't pointing downwards when doing a curl. I've even seen the odd advert showing someone demonstrating a curl with their foot pointing upwards.
Similarly if one end of a strand or band is attached to some fixture say in the home that too needs caution.
I attach an example of someone getting seriously hurt -a US Senator no less -when an exercise band came adrift.
Handson.
Attachments
senator Reid 1.jpg
senator Reid 1.jpg (154.66 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Senator Reid 2.jpg
Senator Reid 2.jpg (147.67 KiB) Viewed 793 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks Handson, yes it is very important to make sure all of the equipment used is in sound condition and all safety precautions are taken. A few seconds can save a serious injury such as the above. I know quite a few cable trainers who wear goggles when using them.The rubber and elastic are more prone to wear and snapping and the Lifeline brand always go at the part that fits into the handle.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates