Powerlifting at the Commonwealth Games?

An in-depth look at the history of the Olympics featuring famous athletes, records, photos and clips.

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

Quadsquat

Powerlifting at the Commonwealth Games?

Post by Quadsquat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 am

I heard on SA radio that our Powerlifting team for the 2118 Commonwealth Games is still to be announced

I was a little surprised , do they mean the para athletes (bench press) or does the Commonwealth Games now include Power lifting as well as Olympic lifting?

if so this is a very positive step forward , i have always felt that the IPF version should be an Olympic sport , probably better as the RAW version.

The other associations in my view have messed up the legitimacy of the sport.

The sports of olympic lifting and power lifting are entirely different and PL is big enough to justify inclusion

anyway hope PL is now a fully fledged sport at the Commonwealths (or am i dreaming all this?)

Liam

DannyBoy

Re: Powerlifting at the Commonwealth Games?

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:00 am

I did a Google search and didn't find anything other than about para powerlifting, so I'd assume that's what they're referring to.

I agree with you that powerlifting is big enough to justify it's inclusion in the Olympic Games and I think it could make for a great Olympic sport, I'd certainly love to see it in the Olympics. You never know, but I think the problem is & probably always will be that there's already enough problems these days with the use of PEDs in Olympic-style weightlifting and various other established Olympic sports that the IOC wouldn't have any interest in including in the Summer Olympics a sport like powerlifting that has such a big drug culture associated with it. Too much trouble.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:27 am

Hi Liam,
i too would like to see PL included but as you say raw and a step back in time to the origins as much as possible. The issue here is as Danny points out the the drug problem that has permeated OL, although we know pretty much every sport is involved at some level. Anyway be interesting to see how it goes.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:00 am

Quadsquat wrote:I heard on SA radio that our Powerlifting team for the 2118 Commonwealth Games is still to be announced. I was a little surprised , do they mean the para athletes (bench press) or does the Commonwealth Games now include Power lifting as well as Olympic lifting? if so this is a very positive step forward , i have always felt that the IPF version should be an Olympic sport , probably better as the RAW version. The other associations in my view have messed up the legitimacy of the sport. The sports of olympic lifting and power lifting are entirely different and PL is big enough to justify inclusion anyway hope PL is now a fully fledged sport at the Commonwealths (or am i dreaming all this?) Liam
The Commonwealth Games was the first multi sporting event to combine both able bodied and para atheltes at the same Games in 2002 (when the Games were held in Manchester) and since the following sports have para elements: Aquatics, Athletics, Lawn Bowls and Powerlifting plus each candidate city has the right to nominate additional sports from this list: Track Cycling, Table Tennis (Para) and Triathlon, however it is only the para athletes who take part in the bench press competition.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)