Commonwealth Games 2018

An in-depth look at the history of the Olympics featuring famous athletes, records, photos and clips.

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

Quadsquat

Commonwealth Games 2018

Post by Quadsquat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 am

the Games starts today , it seemed to sneak up this time round , i am used to major events taking place in July / August

Here in South Africa we have 4 dedicated channels for the Games (our main pay satellite service ) i have already set my dvr to record the weightlifting (men) and athletics . All the weight classes are being covered (finals only not sure if they have a AM session)

i enjoy the CG ,more like an Olympics for mere mortals at least for the Weightlifting ,in Athletics if one looks at the countries like Kenya , i would say the standard is world class in many events

was wondering how the UK teams are looking talent wise at this Games?

Liam

Harry Hayfield

Re: Commonwealth Games 2018

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:26 am

Well, Team Wales usually do quite well in the weightlifting hall, however in recent years Nauru has been a right thorn in our sides.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Hey Liam,
lucky you.Over here in the states we will get little to no coverage. So it is up to you and Harry to fill us in. :D Anyway enjoy them mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:41 pm

There are three weightlifting titles up for grabs on Day One (Thursday), the Men's 56kg and 62kg class as well as the Women's 48kg Class. What members may find interesting is that each class generates three medals as the snatch element is awarded a medal, the clean and jerk is a awarded a medal and the total is awarded a medal as well. This scheme of awarding medals was first introduced in Auckland in 1990 so this will the seventh games where this scheme has been in operation. According to the Gold Coast website the competition starts at 9.30am local time (2330 GMT) with the 56kg class, the women's competition starts at 2.00pm local time (0400 GMT), and then the 62kg class starts at 6.30pm local time (0830 GMT)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:11 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:There are three weightlifting titles up for grabs on Day One (Thursday), the Men's 56kg and 62kg class as well as the Women's 48kg Class. What members may find interesting is that each class generates three medals as the snatch element is awarded a medal, the clean and jerk is a awarded a medal and the total is awarded a medal as well. This scheme of awarding medals was first introduced in Auckland in 1990 so this will the seventh games where this scheme has been in operation. According to the Gold Coast website the competition starts at 9.30am local time (2330 GMT) with the 56kg class, the women's competition starts at 2.00pm local time (0400 GMT), and then the 62kg class starts at 6.30pm local time (0830 GMT)
My apologies, I stand entirely corrected. At the 2006 Games in Melbourne it was decided to scrap the medals for snatch and the clean and jerk and revert back to a single medal for the whole thing. The book I have about the Commonwealth Games only goes up to Kuala Lumpur in 1998 and therefore I apologise for any misunderstanding that I have created.

Quadsquat

Post by Quadsquat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:47 am

the standards are pretty good, i watched the M 56 kgs snatch comp this morning
the highest snatch was 117 kgs a new CG record

thats very good lifting

im looking forward to watching the rest of the competition

yes the awarding of individual Snatch and C&J medals hasnt happened for a while

makes sense as thats not how lifters experience the sport

the winner is the best total and thats all that has ever mattered

Liam

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:50 am

I am pleased to announce that (unlike in Glasgow where they didn't publish them online) I have downloaded all the preliminary result books for the various sports and would like to know which of the following members would like summarised (based on our remit of physical culture): Wrestling, Weightlifting, Powerlifting (for para athletes), Gymnastics (Artistic) and Boxing

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 am

Hi Harry,weightlifting and wrestling for sure and anything else you can do would be appreciated.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Italics indicates a failed lift
Women's 48kg Class
Number of athletes: 11
Gold Medal Winner: MIRABAI Chanu Saikhom (IND) 80kg, 84kg, 86kg - 103kg, 107kg, 110kg = 196kg
Silver Medal Winner: RANAIVOSOA Marie Hanitra Roilya (MRI) 73kg, 76kg, 78kg - 90kg, 94kg, 94kg = 170kg
Bronze Medal Winner: GOMES Dinusha (SRI)* 66kg, 70kg, 74kg - 85kg, 90kg, 90kg = 155kg

Gomes (SRI) and Toua (PNG) both lifted the same weight in total but Gomes (SRI) was awarded the bronze medal