Sarah Robles Wins Bronze in Weightlifting

An in-depth look at the history of the Olympics featuring famous athletes, records, photos and clips.

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

DannyBoy

Sarah Robles Wins Bronze in Weightlifting

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Today American weightlifter Sarah Robles won the bronze medal in the women's +75kg weight class, becoming the first American to medal in weightlifting since Tara Nott (gold, 48kg) & Cheryl Haworth (bronze, +75kg) at the 2000 Olympic Games. Congratulations to Sarah!

Sarah Robles wins United States' first weightlifting medal since 2000 | NBC Olympics

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yoMAsL4AZo[/video]

Harry Hayfield

Re: Sarah Robles Wins Bronze in Weightlifting

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:09 am

She most certainly did and helped Team GB at the same time. Team GB currently have a four silver medal lead over China in the medals table and as weightlifting isn't exactly our thing (as demonstrated by the fact that we have only won two medals in the entire history of the Games and both were in 1896) any non Chinese medal in the weightlifting will help us a great deal. Oh, and by the way, Team USA, don't think you're out of the woods yet we may be ten behind you but I have a feeling we'll be catching up soon.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Re: Sarah Robles Wins Bronze in Weightlifting

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:36 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:She most certainly did and helped Team GB at the same time. Team GB currently have a four silver medal lead over China in the medals table and as weightlifting isn't exactly our thing (as demonstrated by the fact that we have only won two medals in the entire history of the Games and both were in 1896) any non Chinese medal in the weightlifting will help us a great deal. Oh, and by the way, Team USA, don't think you're out of the woods yet we may be ten behind you but I have a feeling we'll be catching up soon.
Under different circumstances Great Britain probably would have another medal in weightlifting. Based on what I've read, Great Britain's Ron Walker could've/should've medaled in the heavyweight class at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, if not have won the gold. He ended up placing 4th and just missed out on a medal. There were accusations of a German referee & Austrian referee being partisan and turning down what were good lifts by Walker. I don't know if there's any footage of his lifts, but it sounds like Ron Walker got a raw deal.